• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shane Warne

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
then your argument is....void?

youre basically saying hes a national joke when you live on the other side of the world....
i have not once said that I believe him to be a national joke, if you have read the rest of the trhead, you would have perhaps noticed this.

bond21

Banned
makes more sense then.

England and Warne dont get along because of all the nightmares he gives them

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Great tweaker, yes, but he's got no shame whatsoever. Think his ***ploits are something pathological, because most men get discouraged after the first international incident.

Total drongo with a pen in his hand, too. Seems like the price you pay for being a good sledger.

My tip for the next rent-a-quote in Australian cricket.

JBMAC

State Captain
Sledger, the info you ahve been given is erronous to say the least. As a Cricketer Warne is both respected and well liked in Australia. As a man he is respected by other aussie males as when a "bloke gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar,he owns up to it and cops the flack on the chin".And That's what Warnie is all about.
I have been both playing and watching this game and it's personalities and players for over 60 years and to have Warne as "Australian of the Year" epitomises Aussie culture and what we are all about. He is a Man's Man and is both well liked and respected.

pasag

RTDAS
Sledger, the info you ahve been given is erronous to say the least. As a Cricketer Warne is both respected and well liked in Australia. As a man he is respected by other aussie males as when a "bloke gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar,he owns up to it and cops the flack on the chin".And That's what Warnie is all about.
I have been both playing and watching this game and it's personalities and players for over 60 years and to have Warne as "Australian of the Year" epitomises Aussie culture and what we are all about. He is a Man's Man and is both well liked and respected.
I don't think he was ever made Australian of the Year mate.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
A large proportion of pro cricketers (though obviously nowhere close to all) are what could be termed by outsiders 'nasty bastards'.

The required selfishness to succeed, the paranoia of getting dropped, the insecurities of everything you do professionally be assessed by management, press and public and the isolation and solitude of the job and travelling breeds guys that that act ways that are often different to that of the general population.

I know many cricketers that are great fun to be around, but dont cross them as they have a mean streak and their lives lack balance and perspective.

Lots of lesser known cricketers act in a far more outrageous manner than Warne and others cover their tracks better despite being equally bad or worse behaved.

Warne isnt too different to many others apart from the fact he is far higher profile, more newsworthy and more open.

Im not excusing Warnes behaviour, but it isnt so unusual.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
yeah thats kind of what I was getting at really, I was told that although he is reveered for his sporting efforts, as a person he is generally disliked. As a matter of course I was also told that his wife is also generally disliked, why I am not sure...
Sledge, I reckon your friend is actually pretty close to the mark there – certainly from my perspective and that of my friends and acquaintances, though of course I can’t speak for the whole country. My observation is that, as a person, he’s more popular and respected in England than he is in Australia – at home we tend to think of him as a cricketing genius who also doubles as a prize tosser, TBH. I’d definitely argue that his many, many indiscretions and personality defects have been forgiven more easily because he’s such a magnificent cricketer – the “flawed genius” is always a more romantic hero than the “average cricketer who’s also a complete ****.” But that being said, I don’t believe he’s particularly respected by the majority of Australians for anything that doesn’t involve spinning a cricket ball. Though of course he could argue that he’s not trying to be role model and that what he achieves as a cricketer is all he wants to be judged on.

And his (ex) wife is a flat-out media slut. The sort of woman who sells her sob story about “Shane the love rat” to the highest bidding woman’s magazine, then goes back to him for a while before doing it all again when she feels the time is right to cash in and increase her own publicity. It’s a shame they’ve split for good now because the two of them deserve each other IMO.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
No, from my experience he is adored, if not worshipped, as a cricketer. As a person he is very flawed, and to exacerbate that he is very honest, which makes for a wide range of material for stand-up comics. Still, I think whilst people regard him as highly as a Cricketer can possibly be regarded, no one is under any illusions about him as a whole person. A flawed person, perhaps even normal, who puts his foot into it too often.

subshakerz

International Coach
Warne? A Man's Man? Cops the flack on the chin? Not to dispute his status as the world's greatest leg spinner, but he was caught taking bribes from a bookie and taking banned substances, with his cases being mismanaged by the ACB and eventually recieving less-than-fair punishments.

As a cricketer, he was one of the best, but he definitely isn't someone I say one should look up to as a sportsman.

Status
Not open for further replies.