cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "Shadow" South African League

still scratching around in the same old hole

The "Shadow" South African League

In County Cricket this season each County is allowed 1 Overseas player.

However, by my rough caluclations, there are 39 South Africans playing as non-overseas players. Despite mainly being born and raised in SA these players are playing as Kolpaks or EU passport holders.

Im not commenting on the rights or wrongs of the situation. Rather the large numbers.

Riki Wessels
    Andrew Hall
    Nicky Boje
    Chad Keegan
    Friedel de Wet
    Andrew Strauss
    Gareth Berg
    Dawid Malan
    Nick Compton
    Boeta Dippenaar
    Garnett Kruger
    Claude Henderson
    HD Ackerman
    Francois du Plessis
    Martin van Jaarsveld
    Ryan McLaren
    Justin Kemp
    Neil Dexter
    Nic Pothas
    Kevin Pietersen
    Kevin Latouf
    Michael Lumb
    Grant Hodnett
    Ryan ten Doeschate
    Garry Park
    Dale Benkenstein
    Greg Smith
    Jacques Rudolph
    Deon Kruis
    Stephen Moore
    Jonathan Trott
    Tim Groenewald
    Neil Carter
    Ant Botha
    Matt Prior
    Jade Dernbach
    Charl Willoughby
    Craig Kieswetter
    Alexei Kervezee

You could make a pretty good "No Longer South African SA XI" from that list and there is a fair amount of depth
    Last edited by Goughy; 10-02-2008 at 07:56 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there will be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Cricketer Of The Year
    With the Central Contract England players hardly playing any County Cricket and top overseas players only occasional dropping in for a month or two when they've got nothing else to do, players like Kemp and Rudolph are the main draw cards. Unfortunately for every one of that quality there's several third rate journeymen.

International Regular chris.hinton's Avatar
    Moore is not South African is he?

Cricketer Of The Year
    Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by chris.hinton View Post
    Yup

Went to a very good school in Jo'burg as well as being born there.

It's obviously not great for South African cricket if these guys are unavailable to them, but as Harris showed the Kolpak status can be quickly revoked if international honours come knocking, so there's an argument it's just completing their cricketing education. It is certainly not good for England if the players who aren't registered as overseas aren't available to us tho. However, with guys like Trott & Pietersen (and probably McLaren in a year or two), who come over at a sufficiently early age with the full intention of qualifying for us (for whatever reason, and I'm not naive enough to think it's all for Queen and country) it's a boost to our playing stocks.

Not sure about the extent of the South Africanness of some on the list tho. It's a bit of a stretch to call Strauss SA-raised when he left for Melbourne when he was about six or seven. Prior's a borderline case, he came over in his early teens but has an English accent & Kervezee was raised in Holland, wasn't he?
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"this was Argentinaís heaviest defeat in the group stage of a World Cup since losing 6-1 to Czechoslovakia in 1958. It is also the first time they have failed to win either of their opening two matches at a World Cup for 44 years. Sampaoliís players, in other words, were creating history here" - The Guardian's Stuart James on Croatia's 3-0 dicking of the South Americans

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Not sure about the extent of the South Africanness of some on the list tho. It's a bit of a stretch to call Strauss SA-raised when he left for Melbourne when he was about six or seven. Prior's a borderline case, he came over in his early teens but has an English accent & Kervezee was raised in Holland, wasn't he?
    A small number are borderline. There has to be that little grey area in anything.

The vast majority are born in SA and products of SA cricket.

Pinball Champion!
    And still above England in both test and ODI cricket
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Andrew Strauss
    Boeta Dippenaar
    Martin van Jaarsveld
    Kevin Pietersen
    Henry Ackerman (c)
    Jacques Rudolph
    Nic Pothas (wk)
    Andrew Hall
    Friedel de Wet
    Garnett Kruger
    Charl Willoughby

Would compete with most Tests sides IMO. Then you've still got plenty of others who'd still push for selection in Test sides around the world.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Tim
    It's also something that's starting to occur in New Zealand too but on a much smaller scale.

Grant Elliott - Wellington
    Johann Myburgh, Kruger van Wyk - Canterbury
    Colin de Grandhomme (Zim) - Auckland

Plus a number of youth players who were born in S.A now playing in NZ..Bradley-John Watling, Greg Morgan, Derek de Boorder to name a few.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    It's obviously not great for South African cricket if these guys are unavailable to them, but as Harris showed the Kolpak status can be quickly revoked if international honours come knocking, so there's an argument it's just completing their cricketing education. It is certainly not good for England if the players who aren't registered as overseas aren't available to us tho. However, with guys like Trott & Pietersen (and probably McLaren in a year or two), who come over at a sufficiently early age with the full intention of qualifying for us (for whatever reason, and I'm not naive enough to think it's all for Queen and country) it's a boost to our playing stocks.
    It'd be fine if such non-national-team-bound players didn't have their incomes paid by income generated by Team England.

And as mentioned, the biggest problem comes not from the Pothases, Kemps, Rudolphs, etc. but the large number of rubbish players who cost far more and are little or no better than the far cheaper English types.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

And as mentioned, the biggest problem comes not from the Pothases, Kemps, Rudolphs, etc. but the large number of rubbish players who cost far more and are little or no better than the far cheaper English types.
    I dont know where you get your info from, but foreign players are far cheaper than English ones. That is the problem.

For similar talent you pay far less.

How can you possibly pay less for someone for whom you have to arrange air-fares, accommodation etc. than someone from just up the road?

Also, some fellow (I forget the name) did his own mini piece of research, which he quoted in Wisden 1999, which showed imports of any kind (be they from overseas or another county) tend to get bigger wage-packets than locals, sometimes as much as twice the amount.

Pinball Champion!
    How can you possibly pay less for someone for whom you have to arrange air-fares, accommodation etc. than someone from just up the road?
    Also, some fellow (I forget the name) did his own mini piece of research, which he quoted in Wisden 1999, which showed imports of any kind (be they from overseas or another county) tend to get bigger wage-packets than locals, sometimes as much as twice the amount.
    Easy.. I charge £3.50 an hour for my photography in South Africa.. £7.00 an hour in England.. I am still better off financially in South Africa..

The amount of money you have to pay someone varies massively depending on where they are based, air fares are an irrelevence..

Yeah, true that, dunno how that hadn't occurred to me as I'm more than versed in the vast difference between the rand and the pound (which, of course, is the biggest reason why we have so many SAfricans electing to play over here).

So we reckon what is untold riches for a SAfrican is nothing more than standard for a Brit?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information