• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India have the best batting line-up?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Side issue: Prince & SS - I understand your not rating Symonds as a player at test level, but I'm wondering why you think he's the worst bloke ever.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
Hey man, what happened to your sig talking about an Australian whitewash of India? I hope no one hacked you and changed it. Gotta have good internet security.
8-) Your post is so random, I wonder how it has anything to do with me not rating Indian batting that highly unlike some Indian :dry: members.

BTW, I don't think I had any such sig, maybe you're confusing me with Raghav or Haroon or someone else :laugh: . But yeah I did say IND were gonna lose all games, but I'm not the first one to make prediction that didn't come true.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Side issue: Prince & SS - I understand your not rating Symonds as a player at test level, but I'm wondering why you think he's the worst bloke ever.
Actually, its the opposite now.

Symonds is actually annoyingly doing well at test level with both bat and ball, so I can understand why some people rate him.

But how can anyone honestly like him as a bloke?

Burgey

Actually, its the opposite now.

Symonds is actually annoyingly doing well at test level with both bat and ball, so I can understand why some people rate him.

But how can anyone honestly like him as a bloke?
Well, I guss you don't have to like him - you can be ambivalent about him. Example - I like Tendulkar, dislike Ganguly and am ambivalent about Laxman as blokes (from what I've seen of them obviously - I don't actually know them of course), but I think they're all very good cricketers.

Is it because of Sydney, coz I didn't really ever hear anything about not liking him before then? If it's because of Sydney, is it because he didn't walk, or because of the Harbhajan thing?

I much prefer to watch players who are artists rather than craftsmen when they bat, but I suspect the Symonds-type player is the future of cricket - tall, strong and athletic in the field with some handy bowling thrown in. There will always be the genius aspect to the sport, but I suspect that the power players will begin to dominate even more than they do now as the game goes on developing in its shorter forms, and this flows through to test cricket.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, I guss you don't have to like him - you can be ambivalent about him. Example - I like Tendulkar, dislike Ganguly and am ambivalent about Laxman as blokes (from what I've seen of them obviously - I don't actually know them of course), but I think they're all very good cricketers.

Is it because of Sydney, coz I didn't really ever hear anything about not liking him before then? If it's because of Sydney, is it because he didn't walk, or because of the Harbhajan thing?
:laugh: I've always hated watching him - quite an ugly looking player. And the fact that he got so many chances and lucky decisions meant I had to keep watching him pile on the runs - so it has pissed me off to no end. Oh, and every time he opens his mouth, I feel like I'd rather watch his batting - and I don't want to watch his batting at all.

I've no problem with him not walking, or reporting racist taunts, which are completely unacceptable anywhere (as you can also tell from my sig, I think Harbhajan is a moron and should be banned without question if he used racist language).

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

WRT being a top bloke, I reckon Laxman is probably just as good if not better than Sachin. You'd have to meet Laxman to find out I guess. But that guy will talk to you about anything whenever he has the chance, and he'll answer all your questions. Very humble man.

And nah its got nothing to do with Sydney, I've disliked Symonds ever since he decided he was going to purport to being the biggest bogan ever, and push this image as far as possible to get as much fame as possible. I understand there's trying to meet the demographic of cricket watchers in Australia, but as Prince once pointed out, the idea that Australian cricket attempts to pander to pure boganism is pretty awful some of the time. And Symonds is a key figure in this aspect.

Plus you can just tell he's an absolute tool. But its not really about that, because I know Akhtar is a tool and he's probably my favourite cricketer.

That's why Stuart Clark rules. :cool:

Last edited:

Burgey

:laugh: No no, its nothing he did. I've always hated watching him - quite an ugly looking player. And the fact that he got so many chances and lucky decisions meant I had to keep watching him pile on the runs - so it has pissed me off to no end.

I've no problem with him not walking, or reporting racist taunts, which are completely unacceptable anywhere (as you can also tell from my sig, I think Harbhajan is a moron and should be banned without question if he used racist language).
WRT being a top bloke, I reckon Laxman is probably just as good if not better than Sachin. You'd have to meet Laxman to find out.

And nah its got nothing to do with Sydney, I've disliked Symonds ever since he decided he was going to purport to being the biggest bogan ever, and push this image as far as possible to get as much fame as possible. I understand there's trying to meet the demographic of cricket watchers in Australia, but as Prince once pointed out, the idea that Australian cricket attempts to pander to pure boganism is pretty awful some of the time. And Symonds is a key figure in this aspect.

Plus you can just tell he's an absolute tool. But its not really about that, because I know Akhtar is a tool and he's probably my favourite cricketer.

Fair enough. He;s certainly making hay while the sun shines, both in luck on the field and endorsements to what I call the "Channel 10" element in Australia - meaning lowest common denominator in television land.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
:laugh: I've always hated watching him - quite an ugly looking player. And the fact that he got so many chances and lucky decisions meant I had to keep watching him pile on the runs - so it has pissed me off to no end. Oh, and every time he opens his mouth, I feel like I'd rather watch his batting - and I don't want to watch his batting at all.

WRT being a top bloke, I reckon Laxman is probably just as good if not better than Sachin. You'd have to meet Laxman to find out I guess. But that guy will talk to you about anything whenever he has the chance, and he'll answer all your questions. Very humble man.

Yeah, agree with all that. I dislike him as a cricketer - not only do I not rate him, but I don't like watching him play, even when he does well. I hate all the luck he had with his batting and I hate the fact that he got those two wickets bowling doorknobs after Lee and Clark had bowled so well for so little reward. I also hate the way that he not only is a bogan, but is proud of it, flaunts it and IMO even goes deliberately over the top in his bogan ways to build himself a bogan image.

He could be a great friend or family man or whatever for all I know, but he's not my sort of person from the little I actually know about him, and he's certainly not my sort of cricketer. I have no problem with him not walking or reporting abuse, though.

Burgey

Interesting - up until a few years ago the word "bogan" seemed strictly a Victorian (I think) word. Hardly ever heard it used in NSW - it was always "westie". Wonder why it's caught on, and can someone tell me why that word is used, as opposed to red neck, throw back, etc.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Fair enough. He;s certainly making hay while the sun shines, both in luck on the field and endorsements to what I call the "Channel 10" element in Australia - meaning lowest common denominator in television land.
Oh please :laugh: Like channel 10 is any worse than the channel that brought us the footy show. Now that's lowest common denominator.

Captain Cricket

State Vice-Captain
Channel 9 is the place to be for sports. Channel 7 for series events and Channel 10 for movies. But I have Foxtel so it's all covered.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Channel 10's only positive contribution is to fill the odd gap in Foxtel's near wall-to-wall showing of the Simpsons with more of the same.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Player for player comparisons are so falliable.

Hayden vs Chopra
Sobers vs Balaji
Bradman vs Nehra
Clarke vs Tendulkar
Symonds vs Ganguly
Clark vs Kumble
Tait vs Harbhajan

So the second team is so obviously better.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Player for player comparisons are so falliable.

Hayden vs Chopra
Sobers vs Balaji
Bradman vs Nehra
Clarke vs Tendulkar
Symonds vs Ganguly
Clark vs Kumble
Tait vs Harbhajan

So the second team is so obviously better.
Best post in this thread so far.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
The words of Anil Kumble after. Thoughts?

Sehwag v Hayden
Jaffer v Jaques
Dravid v Ponting
Tendulkar v Hussey
Ganguly v Clarke
Laxman v Symonds
Dhoni v Gilchrist
Hayden
Jaques
Ponting
Hussey
Clarke
Symonds
Gilchrist

Although close, I think every one of the Australians are superior at the moment.

Last edited: