• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Real culprit of world cricket farce....

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I can give you one very simple reason why Taufel is better - he's younger.

I think it's beyond reasonable doubt that simply having been around cricket for a long time doesn't necessarily mean you know what you're doing - Ian Botham is living testament to that.

It's also beyond reasonable doubt that younger, fitter men (Taufel takes great pride in his fitness) have far better reflexes, far quicker thought processes and far better eyesight. I don't understand why cricket proceeds with the archaic exercise of employing men aged 50 and above to do a job that requires such rapid calculations and such a level head.
Is this post sarcastic?

WTF have reflexes got to do with being an umpire and how do people 50+ suddenly become slow-witted, blind, unstable fools?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is this post sarcastic?

WTF have reflexes got to do with being an umpire and how do people 50+ suddenly become slow-witted, blind, unstable fools?
It might not be down to a decrease in reflexes or even eyesight, but I do think umpires can do downhill as they get older. For one it's a bloody big ask of a bloke in late middle age to stand out in the sun (unless in England, obv...) for six hours out of seven (at least) and then have to give split second judgements on something that takes fractions of seconds in total.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It might not be down to a decrease in reflexes or even eyesight, but I do think umpires can do downhill as they get older. For one it's a bloody big ask of a bloke in late middle age to stand out in the sun (unless in England, obv...) for six hours out of seven (at least) and then have to give split second judgements on something that takes fractions of seconds in total.
The age given was 50+. I dont class 50 as late middle age. 50 isnt old and nor should fitness be an issue in the 50s.

Even if there is a slight decline in umpires after a certain age a) I know its not 50 and b) Id rather have a slightly reduced top umpire than a fresh, young bad one. Age isnt and shouldnt be an issue. Ability should be. Dont write them off because they are a certain age as everyone is different, write them off as they are not good enough any more.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't care if you're 25 or 85. They should be regularly tested and be allowed to continue as long as they can do the job. I see having a mandatory retirement age in the same way I would if there was one for players. By 35, most players have declined and will retire, but its not because of the age, its because of the ability. If you have ability, you still play (Warne, Waugh, etc) until whatever time your ability leaves you. I have no problem with umpires that are 50, 60, 70 years old, as long as they can do their job.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
It's not necessarily age of the ump (tho, yes, his senses dont improve with age)

It is the number of years spent in that position, which inevitably results in the accumulation of decisions that are perceived (real or imagined) as going against a certain team

Had a youngish ump called the game exactly like SB or had this been SB's 1st match, he would not have been subjected to this kind of uproar

PY

International Coach
I dont class 50 as late middle age. 50 isnt old

Even if there is a slight decline in umpires after a certain age a) I know its not 50 and b) Id rather have a slightly reduced top umpire than a fresh, young bad one. Age isnt and shouldnt be an issue. Ability should be. Dont write them off because they are a certain age as everyone is different, write them off as they are not good enough any more.
There speaks someone who is closer to 50 than he'd like to be. :p

30 is old. :whistling

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There speaks someone who is closer to 50 than he'd like to be. :p

30 is old. :whistling
:laugh: Fifty is a lifetime away for me you cheeky bastard

On the point, my Dad is in his mid-50s and given he can kick my arse at squash, run far further than I can and isnt someone Id want to come to blows with, I dont think 50s is old to do a job like umpiring.

Sure its on the way to getting old, but as you say so is 30 :)

Malleeboy

U19 12th Man
Careful with the b*** word, you might get banned for using a word which we now know is amongst the worst swear words going! Maybe that's why the Australian Democrats got routed in the last election, the BCCI took offence at them "Keeping the b**** honest"..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Careful with the b*** word, you might get banned for using a word which we now know is amongst the worst swear words going! Maybe that's why the Australian Democrats got routed in the last election, the BCCI took offence at them "Keeping the b**** honest"..
Stop inciting people.

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think age is a factor for all the exceptional cases, purely because of the workload. That workload is also the reason for any decline in standards and for the inability to reverse that decline.

This is not just because of the effect the workload has on the current umpires, but that, in combination with the scrutiny and criticism, and asshole bosses, almost no-one with any brains wants to be an international umpire. We're fortunate to have as many half-way decent ones as we do.

The stats I heard were away from home 280 nights a year, changing countries every two-three weeks, living out of hotels, and doing it all in the glare of a generally unsympathetic media and public, all for the princely sum of roughly $100-120,000 a year. I'd tell them to get stuffed as well.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not necessarily age of the ump (tho, yes, his senses dont improve with age)

It is the number of years spent in that position, which inevitably results in the accumulation of decisions that are perceived (real or imagined) as going against a certain team

Had a youngish ump called the game exactly like SB or had this been SB's 1st match, he would not have been subjected to this kind of uproar
Yeah, like... Mark Benson. :mellow: Who actually made more mistakes than Bucknor in said Test.