• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team with the most players with the same last name

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh: Good Lord.

Can't believe there ever will have been, at least not at international level.

I seem to recall two teams composed entirely of Patels over here a few summers ago. In the Bradford League or summat.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
On a similar note, I was thinking the other day how many bloody cricketers have a middle name starting with 'J'.

NSW top order (haven't all played in one game, though)

EJM Cowan
GJ Mail
PJ Forrest

SM Katich
DJ Thornely
PJ Hughes
BJ Haddin

That's absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention MJ Nichsolson batting 8 or 9.

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
There's an article somewhere on the BBC website that I can't be bothered to find, about a local league game in Bradford where all 22 players from both sides had the last name Patel. Seems ridiculous to me, but they had the scorecard and everything. I'm assuming they all came from about 3 or 4 different families, but it's still weird.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
"I was shocked. Some players even had the same first four initials so everyone's names had to be written in full."

"Twice before we've played and there were 21 Patels lining up against each other, but on this occasion our regular wicketkeeper, who is not called Patel, had to go to London for work."

Oh, did you notice that three out of the four openers are called 'M. Patel'.

Last edited:

Corli

U19 Cricketer
"It was a close-fought affair which eventually ended in a 31-run victory for, you guessed it, the Patels." :laugh: Great stuff

pup11

International Coach
On a similar note, I was thinking the other day how many bloody cricketers have a middle name starting with 'J'.

NSW top order (haven't all played in one game, though)

EJM Cowan
GJ Mail
PJ Forrest

SM Katich
DJ Thornely
PJ Hughes
BJ Haddin

That's absolutely ridiculous. Not to mention MJ Nichsolson batting 8 or 9.
And there is MJ Clarke too!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I seem to recall two teams composed entirely of Patels over here a few summers ago. In the Bradford League or summat.
There's an article somewhere on the BBC website that I can't be bothered to find, about a local league game in Bradford where all 22 players from both sides had the last name Patel. Seems ridiculous to me, but they had the scorecard and everything. I'm assuming they all came from about 3 or 4 different families, but it's still weird.
Yeah, was quite something. Was really, really all over The BBC.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Pretty sure family games were if not commonplace, not completely unheard off, back in the early 1900s, back when cricket was played on country estates.