• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden all time best ODI Innings.

yohanna

Banned
royGilchrist said:
The best ODI innings I have seen was Miandad's match winning innings against India in the austrailasia final in '86 I think, a bit of a pakistani bias there maybe, but still it was just an awesome innings, and should have been there somewhere.

Spot on mate, it was one of the best ODI innings/centuries, certainly it should have been mentioned.I would personally rate that innings of Miandad above Anwar's knock of 194!

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Well I have also seen highlights of Viv's 189. I didnt know if Pringle could ever improve as a bowler after the beating he got that day. Still, it was a masterful display by someone who was in total control.

Still, Miandad's innings was special becasue I dont remember such tension in any ODi match ever, not in Sharjah, not in WC, never. A dozen people died of heart failures that day in India and Pak I think. Six of the last ball, to win the tournament, against India, in Sharjah, how muhc bigger can it get.

One funny thing is that I was in Karachi in those days, and there was such interest in both countries that when Pak would start winning, India doordarshan TV (we could catch the signal in Karachi), would say their communication has disrupted and would stop showing the match, then when India would take a wicket or something, PTV would do the smae thing, and we had to keep switching back and forth between the two.

There was an indian lady watching who was quite animated and was crying at the end of the match, the camerman kept focusing on her, and next day there were her pictures and name and news about her too!

Easily my greatest cricketing memory ever! Nothing can beat that.

krkode

State Captain
6 off 1 ball to win, and he makes it...unbelievable! Typical movie moment. These are the kinds of scenes that sports movies are all about but still rarely happen...3 points in 2 seconds, 1 goal down, 5 seconds to go, 2 strikes homerun needed...so on...

Must've been great. :wow:

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
well it wasnt 6 off 1 ball to win, but it was I think 4 to win and 3 to tie (which could have been a victory as India were all out). Its been so long that I might have got my facts wrong.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sarwan's 70 or 80 odd not out against India last year was excetional. He was under alot of pressure and it was quite dark. Needed 3 off the last ball...

yohanna

Banned
royGilchrist said:
well it wasnt 6 off 1 ball to win, but it was I think 4 to win and 3 to tie (which could have been a victory as India were all out). Its been so long that I might have got my facts wrong.
Yeah 4 runs were required of the last ball , which went for six! the por bowler was Chetan Sharma.
I remember Ravi Shashtri saying that, that one stroke of Miandad destroyed the spirits of Indian team!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
yohanna said:
I remember Ravi Shashtri saying that, that one stroke of Miandad destroyed the spirits of Indian team!
As I said before, that one six caused an wound that refuses to heal even today for the Indian fans like me who witnessed that match live.It was a moment that had more bearing on future India-Pak cricket contests then anything before or since.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Actually I think pringle did improve later on, though I didnt see much of him. He looked like England's best bowler in WC92.

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Hey guys... I'll only comment on innings I saw...

Powell's 124 was good because of the circumstances and pressure was on him alone for a long time and he did it....so stop dissing him. In fact that very innings got me into cricket...Hence the nickname.
Bevan's 185* was absolutely brilliant, it would have been even better had he got that 6 off the last ball, instead it landed less than a metre short than the ropes and was 4 !!!
Ponting's last ODI innings was great but he played it under not as much pressure as he had going for him:
*A good start by the openers
*A middle, late order in form and firing.
And so had enough time to play himself in and Martyn playing well at the other end.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't understand how Ricky Ponting's knock could get so close to Viv's in the ratings scheme. Definite flaw.

Granted, it was great knock but Viv's was just magestic.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
aussie_beater said:
As I said before, that one six caused an wound that refuses to heal even today for the Indian fans like me who witnessed that match live.It was a moment that had more bearing on future India-Pak cricket contests then anything before or since.
I think that it was a turning moment in the cricket played between the two countries as well. Before this match, and this hit, India would beat Pakistan more often than not. After this six though, things changed, and it was uphill as far as comparisons between these two is concerned.

I agree with roy, no other match has seen such tension as this. India/Pakistan and runs to win of the last ball, what better can you ask for ?!