• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wisden all time best ODI Innings.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
just playing the devil's advocate, his innings could have been better had the circumstances been tougher, 30 more run, etc
Oh yeah and maybe breaking a bone might have helped his cause because it's obvious the innings of a lifetime just wasn't enough!

hmmm

everybody loves Steve, but what about Bichel?

Or bevan's 4 off the last ball to win?

isn't that brilliant?
Absolutely and as someone who saw all of Bevan's innings live, I can tell you his 78* would be up in the top 2 of ALL one-day innings for mine. Unfortunately, we're talking about centuries only, here. :)

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
Oh yeah and maybe breaking a bone might have helped his cause because it's obvious the innings of a lifetime just wasn't enough!
:)

BTW, what about Bevan's 180 odd (?) against asia XI? I guess it wasnt a ODI but one heck of an innings, and it was easy to see that no one was kidding around. Wasim chicken out of bowling the last over.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Steve Waugh was dropped...I mean given not out :rolleyes: fairly early in his knock wasn't he? Gibbs the culprit. As such, I wouldn't say that it should be all that high on the list of all-time best centuries.
All time best centuries are the ones that are made by playing cricket of the highest quality against quality bowling, alongwith that extra something that makes a team win and if that comes in adversity or under pressure, it ranks all the more higher in my opinion.And most of the ODI innings have some amount of luck associated with it because of the inherent nature of the game itself.And Steve Waugh's hundred was no different but that does not mean it cannot be rated as one of the best ever innings.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
here is another idea, great ODI innings which were not centuries...

some really cool ones here I am sure. Salim Malik played a blinder against India in Banglore (I think) a long time ago.

There was that one match in the World Series long time ago, when Aus made a big score in the first innings, and then the target was reduced for WI, and everyone was expecting that if Wi wins it will be a close one. Viv, and I think Greednidge, finished the match many overs early. Viv's innings was quite awesome.

Asif Mujtaba once gave Pak an improbable victory against Aus, when the match was all but lost, Dean Jones scored a big century in that one.

Inzi WC 92 SF.

Top_Cat

BTW, what about Bevan's 180 odd (?) against asia XI? I guess it wasnt a ODI but one heck of an innings, and it was easy to see that no one was kidding around. Wasim chicken out of bowling the last over.
That was pretty amazing actually. How many 6's did he hit??? I bet no-one saw that coming! Bevan hitting 6's?? No WAY!

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
royGilchrist said:
Salim Malik played a blinder against India in Banglore (I think) a long time ago.
That was in Eden Gardens Calcutta in 1987 where Salim Malik scored 80 odd runs to snatch victory right from the jaws of defeat for Pak. Actually I have seen a few other really amazing innings from Pakistani batsman playing against India...one was by Manzur Elahi in Sharjah where he scored some 60 odd amazing runs to do the same trick as Malik.

krkode

State Captain
And then you gotta appreciate AA's 27 off 12 balls against Sri Lanka when India needed some 40 off 25 balls, I think...that was quite a blinder...pure joy for an Indian fan :D

V Reddy

International Debutant
krkode said:
And then you gotta appreciate AA's 27 off 12 balls against Sri Lanka when India needed some 40 off 25 balls, I think...that was quite a blinder...pure joy for an Indian fan :D

Yup that was a pure joy to watch :D . Also i saw the highlights of an innings which was not telecast in India in India's 99 tour to down under. It was a 4-day match against NSW and the match was in favour of NSW then he came in and hit 67* and won the match for India. In that tour he batted well against the State teams but struggled against Australia. Wonder why he doesn't play well in International matches but is consistent in the tour games.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Top_Cat said:
Again, this list is a disgrace. What more did Steve Waugh have to do to make his innings any better???
Oh..I'm sorry for agruing the point. I didn't look at the facts. Of couse, Steve Waugh should be there. After all, he's Australian :rolleyes: . In fact, every Aussie who scores a century should be there :rolleyes: .

I'm not saying anything against Steve Waugh but I've been noticing an Aussie bias lately in some of the threads. Yes, they're good!!! We get the point - they're damn good!!!

Top_Cat

Oh..I'm sorry for agruing the point. I didn't look at the facts. Of couse, Steve Waugh should be there. After all, he's Australian . In fact, every Aussie who scores a century should be there
Grow up. No-one said anything of the sort. If it panders to your ego a little more, Mark Waugh's 173 shouldn't have been in the list at all. Happy?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm glad no-one argued with the leader. Viv's innings was utterly magnificent - quite the most superlative exhibition of controlled violence I have ever witnessed (although for a while John Davison was rivalling it).

He hit more boundaries on his own than the rest of the combined effort of both teams.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
I'm glad no-one argued with the leader. Viv's innings was utterly magnificent - quite the most superlative exhibition of controlled violence I have ever witnessed (although for a while John Davison was rivalling it).
Oh, no one can argue about that innings....I think he came in with West Indies in dire straits and completely dominated from there on, at a scale that's only possible for Viv the King !

Top_Cat

Unfortunately, I was deprived of this so called magnificent innings

Wish I coulda seen it
I've only seen highlights of it but the fact he scored all bar 80-odd of the runs makes a lot of sense when you see how well he batted relative to how well the others batted.

Just thinking of good ODI hundres, Mark Waugh's against NZ in the 1996 WC was pretty special too. I'd put that above his 173 again.

Herschelle Gibbs against Australia in 1999 was a VERY special innings too. Everyone else looked in trouble against the Aussies but him. Unfortunately, Waugh's was in the same match so no-one will remember it of course.

And how about Sanath Jayasuriya's 83 off 40-odd balls against England in 1996? That was just incredible. He was almost literally in a trance.

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
krkode said:
Unfortunately, I was deprived of this so called magnificent innings :(

Wish I coulda seen it :(
I saw some highlights of that match later on....but at that time BBC used to carry live commentary of the matches during an English season(probably they still do) and I had the opportunity of listening to a part of Viv's innings live, though not the whole thing.