• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FAO: Australians

Which do you find more important?

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would be astonished if INdia got even a couple votes. Winning against India, in India, is very difficult, but Ashes has such a rich history.

I'm Indian, but I'd rather beat England and Australia than Pakistan anyday, but that has more to do with the fact that they are a better side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What about if Pakistan were the best side in The World?

(Or if India were, or if we had a late-1980s-style situation where England and Australia were both in a shambles and India and Pakistan were easily better than both?)

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I'd rather have a series win over Pakistan than against any other team, EXCEPT Australia.

And I'm sure most people would prefer a win over

1) The best team at that time, the one dominating.
2) Their rivals.
3) Other teams.

And that is why it's kinda obvious that most Australians would prefer a series win against England over India, because a) India is not the best team in the world, and b) England are their traditional rivals. Had India been the best team in the world for quite some time now, and held the position Australia hold atm, most would've picked India over England.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
What about if Pakistan were the best side in The World?

(Or if India were, or if we had a late-1980s-style situation where England and Australia were both in a shambles and India and Pakistan were easily better than both?)
I didn't live through that era, so I couldn't tell you. But I don't really get excited at all about India-Pakistan encounters, no more than I do just for any Test match. I would probably rank my excitement for an upcoming series in this way:

1. Australia
  2. England
  3. South Africa
  4. Pakistan
  5. New Zealand
  6. Sri Lanka
  7. West Indies
  8. Bangladesh

Obviously, this is just for Test cricket. Any Test match is better than any ODI/T20 match.

haroon510

International 12th Man
i vote for Aus beating India... i would even vote for kenya to beat india or any other team.,.. there is nothing more enjoyable for me but to see india being bashed by a team..

of course ashes are always good and my favorite has been the 2005 one but there is amazing feeling when i see india being beat by a team..

Flem274*

123/5
I'd be both if I was Australian tbh (claiming semi Australian-ness as I have a grand total of four relatives over there). Though from a CW perspective I'd rather beat England tbh just to shove it up certain posters, though if I was Aussie I probably wouldn't have a problem with them.

If England beat NZ I don't know if I can bear going near the tour thread...

End of pointless post.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
i vote for Aus beating India... i would even vote for kenya to beat india or any other team.,.. there is nothing more enjoyable for me but to see india being bashed by a team..

of course ashes are always good and my favorite has been the 2005 one but there is amazing feeling when i see india being beat by a team..
:laugh:

Too bad it hasn't been happening much of late. You must be a real sad fellow atm.

pup11

International Coach
As an Aussie fan i can say one thing beating England post Ashes 05 in any form of the game is the most satisfying experience for me but having said that i also realise that India are probably a slightly better test team than England atm so India are going to put up a real fight so beating them too is important.

burr

State Vice-Captain
Before the 05 Ashes and the 04 win in India I would have said beating India in India because the Ashes had become such a boring doddle. but then we lost and I regained the burning desire to beat England. However I'd still take our series win over India in India and the loss to England in 05 than reversing that outcome.

iamdavid

International Debutant
The history that goes with the Ashes makes it the more important contest all things considered, however the fact that only 1 of the last 10 Ashes series has been competitive in any way, shape or form (although what a series it was) dosent bode well. India on the other hand seem to have regularly been able to lift their game against Australia and create some excellent contests over the past 15 years or so (with the exception of 99/00 when they were terrible), and their huge and very loyal fanbase combined with the challenging conditions found in India add spice to the contest.

Overall winning the Ashes is more important, however I'd rather watch an India-Australia series than an Ashes one.

bond21

Banned
Winning the ashes easily. Its the most exciting series against 2 teams ever.

Although I would prefer England to have a full strength side lioke in 2005, their team now especially their bowling is just weak.

No Harmison, no Jones, no Flintoff