• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greg Chappell

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
This is one for Australian viewers, on the ABC tonight an interview with Greg about his time as Indian coach. Should be well worth a look.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
wow indians are douchbags.

didnt one dude punch him?

what losers.
Those sort of ridiculous generalizations are unnecessary and wrong.

Would have been an interesting program to watch, actually. Had training on at the time though.

bond21

Banned
the whole thing was all the indian fans threatening to kill chappell, and blaming india's crap world cup on him.

racist pigs.

pasag

RTDAS
the whole thing was all the indian fans threatening to kill chappell, and blaming india's crap world cup on him.

racist pigs.
Again, as vic_orthdox said, the negative generalisations about any group of people based on nationality or race is unacceptable and certainly not tolerated on this forum.

skipper

School Boy/Girl Captain

racist pigs.
That's a job unfulfilled. We regret not being able to do it then.

Watch Chappell making young cricketers run through mud pits, Duh! What a moron http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2007/nov/13slide1.htm
With his stupid coaching, he made Yuvraj play kho-kho and sit at home for 6 months before world cup. yuvraj did not come back into form by the time of world cup! We should kick them who employed him 2nd time now.

archie mac

International Coach
Anyway I watched and thought it one of the best cricket programmes I have watched, great stuff, very interesting:)

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Anyway I watched and thought it one of the best cricket programmes I have watched, great stuff, very interesting:)

I watched it too....but I thought it was pretty mediocre fare.

Let me get something straight - I don't disagree with quite a bit of what Chappell said about picking players on performance and not on "superstar" status.
And the BCCI is an absolute joke - as an Indian fan, I have not qualms in admitting that.

But the program was skewed to show things from Chappell's perspective and I thought it did try and create the impression that Chappell was some kind of master who the Indians were very stupid not to have learned from/retained as coach.

I mean the title of the program was itself "Guru Greg" and much was made of Greg's stellar playing record.
What it didn't point out though was that Greg was a very mediocre coach of South Australia - several SA players were peeved off at his style of coaching/management and one even referrred to his time as a "reign of terror".
If he couldn't work well with Australian players who have very strong work ethics, what hope did he honestly have in the highly politicised environment in India ?

And I didn't really feel much sympathy for Cahppell or his wife - the program tried to dwell on how hard life was for them in India - tough, Chapell was very well paid and besides, he knew what he was getting into beforehand. If it was too vexing on him and his wife, he shouldn't have taken the job.

I just thought a better program about Greg Chappell in India would have been more impartial - I think getting the Indian viewpoint (I'm not talking about the effigy burning handful - that's a silly generalization - I'm talking about rational, knowledgeable Indian cricket pundits) about him would have made for better viewing.

archie mac

International Coach
I watched it too....but I thought it was pretty mediocre fare.

Let me get something straight - I don't disagree with quite a bit of what Chappell said about picking players on performance and not on "superstar" status.
And the BCCI is an absolute joke - as an Indian fan, I have not qualms in admitting that.

But the program was skewed to show things from Chappell's perspective and I thought it did try and create the impression that Chappell was some kind of master who the Indians were very stupid not to have learned from/retained as coach.

I mean the title of the program was itself "Guru Greg" and much was made of Greg's stellar playing record.
What it didn't point out though was that Greg was a very mediocre coach of South Australia - several SA players were peeved off at his style of coaching/management and one even referrred to his time as a "reign of terror".
If he couldn't work well with Australian players who have very strong work ethics, what hope did he honestly have in the highly politicised environment in India ?

And I didn't really feel much sympathy for Cahppell or his wife - the program tried to dwell on how hard life was for them in India - tough, Chapell was very well paid and besides, he knew what he was getting into beforehand. If it was too vexing on him and his wife, he shouldn't have taken the job.

I just thought a better program about Greg Chappell in India would have been more impartial - I think getting the Indian viewpoint (I'm not talking about the effigy burning handful - that's a silly generalization - I'm talking about rational, knowledgeable Indian cricket pundits) about him would have made for better viewing.
I thought it obvious that it was 'pro Chappell', and I took that with a grain of salt, I just thought it fascinating how passionate the Indian fans and media seem.

And I disagree about 'much being made of his stella playing record'. if 90 seconds of an hour programme is much then yes it was too much8-)

I don't think Chappell ever said he did not know what he was getting into, just that is was tough; fair enough for him to say so imo:)