• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka: Ponting's Bogey Team?

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've just gone through Ponting's record against each country and it appears that Ponting's bogey team is Sri Lanka,

In 11 test against Sri Lanka he has only scored one century (he has a few 90s though), which means he converts less than 10% of the time against Sri Lanka wheras it's much higher against other nations. It is also the only country he averages less than 50 against, other than England. However he has a much better century conversion rate against them which is just under 28%. I thought it might have something to do with Murali, given how he has been dismissed by him twice out of two innings in the current series, but it appears Vass has got him out 6 times - 3 caught behind, 2 LBW.

I understand an average of 47 is not terrible, by any means, but given his career average is slightly under 60 and his century conversion rate is phenominal, his stats against Sri Lanka stand out.

Thoughts?

JBH001

International Regular
Its a measure of how good Ponting is that his 'bogey' team is one whom he avgs 47 against.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Hmm I remember in 1999 he was very good against them, was acclaimed as our best batsman on that tour...curious that he hasnt done that well since.

sideshowtim

Banned
Its a measure of how good Ponting is that his 'bogey' team is one whom he avgs 47 against.
Agreed. Averages 50.11 against Lanka in Sri Lanka too. That's certainly not bad for one's "bogey" team....

I don't think bogey team is the right word here. Someone you Avg 47 against is hardly a bogey team. If Ponting averaged 30-35 against them with his current average I might agree....

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Is SL Ponting's Bogey Team....Unlikely given the number of Pie throwers and guys with Strike rates of 100 plus opening the bowling for SL....If he has a chance in the second innings - (which would seem unlikely given SRI LANKA are trying desperately to ensure Aussies only bat once..:laugh: ) he will rectify this statistical anomaly one feels by scoring 100 plus......So No as much as I would like to pretend SL are his bogey team...the reality would say thats absolute rubbish and merely a statistical anomaly...