• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ian Botham vs Kapil Dev

Who so you think was a better allrounder?

• Total voters

subshakerz

International Coach
I am not going to vote because I never saw either of the two play but my Dad (who admittedly knows jack-all about cricket but was an avid fan in the 80s and early 90s) said that Botham's wickets were usually quite lucky - e.g. caught at cover, strangled down leg side...etc...is this true?
Actually, Botham was famous for that, even his first wicket was off a super wide delivery outside off stump that the batsman managed to chop on his stumps. :laugh:

Still, probably an exagerration.

neville cardus

International Debutant
I am not going to vote because I never saw either of the two play but my Dad (who admittedly knows jack-all about cricket but was an avid fan in the 80s and early 90s) said that Botham's wickets were usually quite lucky - e.g. caught at cover, strangled down leg side...etc...is this true?
Bob Willis reckons that the one which Subshakerz mentioned was just about the worst wicket-taking delivery in the game's history (but, then, Willis probably never heard of Bernard Bosanquet).

Last edited:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Bob Willis reckons that he bowled the worst wicket-taking delivery in the game's history (but, then, Willis probably never heard about Bernard Bosanquet).
Willis obviously didn't see Mohammad Yousuf's wicket against Zimbabwe in the World Cup 2007. I can happily say that I can bowl faster than that:laugh:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, in his prime, Botham was possibly one of the best cricketers ever.
No possibly about it. A case can be made that, statistically at least, from 1977-81 he was the second best cricketer of all time.

Whether he really was is another matter, but he was unquestionably a phenomenon in those years, and his feats therein are enough for me to consider him Kapil's superior.

subshakerz

International Coach
Botham is one of the hardest players to judge, simply because you're not sure which Botham you are talking about. From 78-82, he was fantastic and a force of nature. From 82-87, he was inconsistent and only produced spurts of all-round brilliance. From 87-92, he was so bad he flat out didn't deserve to be in the side. How do you judge such a cricket overall?

The one big area were Kapil has an advantage is his performance against the West Indies, Botham failed with the bowl and bat despite even playing them at his peak, not even 1 of his 14 centures is against them.

Kapil was conistently pretty good throughout his career, but never great. Botham was all over the board. Hard to say...ah, well, I'll give Botham the edge, I'm assuming he won more matches for his side than Kapil. Closer choice than people think.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
No possibly about it. A case can be made that, statistically at least, from 1977-81 he was the second best cricketer of all time.
how so? any comparison for an all-time status needs to encompass the whole career, not a peak as substantial as it was...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
how so? any comparison for an all-time status needs to encompass the whole career, not a peak as substantial as it was...
The difficulty, as I said and someone else reiterated, is that there's no one Botham, really.

There are two at the very least.

One of whom was substantially better than Kapil, one of whom was nowhere near as good.

I just don't see what the point is in trying to put the two together to influence a rating of the other.

When a player changes so dramatically at fairly defined points, you've almost got to rate him as two separate players, AFAIC.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually, Botham was famous for that, even his first wicket was off a super wide delivery outside off stump that the batsman managed to chop on his stumps. :laugh:
It wasn't, really, and Bob Willis' description of it (obviously in jest for the greater part) of "got Greg Chappell out with one of the worst deliveries ever bowled in Test-match cricket" is totally harsh.

It was a nothing ball outside off-stump that should have been left, not the would-be-double-wide it's sometimes portrayed as.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a nice stereotype.

The reality is, though, that caught-down-leg is always rare, there's no way to cause that; and decent batsmen don't often get caught in the covers or indeed anywhere in the outfield, so no bowler will ever get that far if that's the main way he depends on to get wickets.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Why? When was that rule passed:huh:
that is the only reasonable way to look at it because longevity/durability/consistency is one of the main points when you decide whether someone is an all-time great...now, botham's impressive career record and his achievements clearly place him in that category but when you talk about a 4 year peak while rating someone 2nd best overall(even if it is for that period), that does not mean a whole lot, a lot of greats have had brilliant stretches in their career...

archie mac

International Coach
that is the only reasonable way to look at it because longevity/durability/consistency is one of the main points when you decide whether someone is an all-time great...now, botham's impressive career record and his achievements clearly place him in that category but when you talk about a 4 year peak while rating someone 2nd best overall(even if it is for that period), that does not mean a whole lot, a lot of greats have had brilliant stretches in their career...
Okay I don't agree, but that explains your position very well:)