• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A Summer of flat pitches

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
With Sri Lanka and India in Australia this Summer, I was anxiously awaiting a great contest between bat and ball between three good sides. However I think we are in for a bore-a-thon with pitches that offer nothing for the bowlers (see the QLD vs NSW domestic game this week).
This is occurring right across the country with the previously pacy and bouncy WACA now a slow bowlers pitch. Ditto the MCG. We may see something for the fast bowlers for the first session at the GABBA but after the first morning it will turn into a road as well. I love watching big innings as much as the next fan, but would you rather watch someone score 250 on a dead pitch or 100 when the ball is swinging and seaming? The latter for me anyday. One of the most exciting things over the years is the debates on how the relevant touring teams will fare across the country in the different venues, which grounds would lead to their downfall or bring them right back into contention. I miss the unpredictability of it all.
I think we will be lucky to get two results in the coming six Test matches.
BRING BACK THE CHARACTER OF OUR PITCHES AND GROUNDS!!!!!

archie mac

International Coach
With Sri Lanka and India in Australia this Summer, I was anxiously awaiting a great contest between bat and ball between three good sides. However I think we are in for a bore-a-thon with pitches that offer nothing for the bowlers (see the QLD vs NSW domestic game this week).
This is occurring right across the country with the previously pacy and bouncy WACA now a slow bowlers pitch. Ditto the MCG. We may see something for the fast bowlers for the first session at the GABBA but after the first morning it will turn into a road as well. I love watching big innings as much as the next fan, but would you rather watch someone score 250 on a dead pitch or 100 when the ball is swinging and seaming? The latter for me anyday. One of the most exciting things over the years is the debates on how the relevant touring teams will fare across the country in the different venues, which grounds would lead to their downfall or bring them right back into contention. I miss the unpredictability of it all.
I think we will be lucky to get two results in the coming six Test matches.
BRING BACK THE CHARACTER OF OUR PITCHES AND GROUNDS!!!!!
Awta 100%

Last time we had India, people were saying what a great series8-) Flat tracks and the last Test at the SCG was the worst of the lot. With no Warne or McGrath maybe they will produce some half decent pitches, but I won't hold my breath:@

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The real issue is that Australia is in the longest and dryest drought on record. Until this drought is over the pitches will continue to be flat out of necessity.

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
The real issue is that Australia is in the longest and dryest drought on record. Until this drought is over the pitches will continue to be flat out of necessity.
The outfields are nice and green though. Although I do admit my knowledge of pitch preparation is minimal at best.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree, it'd be nice to see some of the character return to our wickets however, as someone said, the drought is probably the main problem.

Laurrz

International Debutant
it was the same with last season

it's just that we had McGrath and Warne and it didn't matter for Australia... and our batsmen were made to look really good (as they rightly were) however it was the bowlers that did more damage...

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Sutherland is attempting to bring back the bounce to the WACA, and it looked very promising in the opening game of the year where I saw Bollinger and Cameron getting balls to rise up off a length.

Agree that the pitches are ridiculous at the moment.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hardly a problem unique to Australia, though with the size of the place and therefore the different - and unique - characteristics attributable to places like The WACA and The SCG, it's more of a shame than perhaps anywhere.

pup11

International Coach
Well the pitches not only in Australia in other parts of the world also are getting worse after every passing season and i think the amount of cricket being played nowadays might have something to do with that.
Anyways something needs to be done and good move Hilditch's part to revive the old nature of the wicket at the WACA, and the last Ranger cup that i saw being played at the WACA between the Tigers and the Warriors surely showed signs of good carry and a certain amount of nip in the wicket even though that particular wicket was pretty dry, so defintely a step in the right direction.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Absolutely - an all-too-often-overlooked fact is that while the dominance of batting over bowling is rather like global warming, perhaps the latter has a fair amount of impact on the former.

archie mac

International Coach
Well two Tests into the summer and if a thread could win the Marsh/Lillee then this is a shoe in:@

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
If Global Warming was advertised as having a detrimental affect on cricket maybe more people would take notice :o

burr

State Vice-Captain
It's a crying shame. Australia used to be of the most unique countries in the world in terms of variety of pitches. What's happened to the WACA is a cricketing tragedy.

archie mac

International Coach
Agreed. Bring back the old WACA. Expose all the flat track bullies. :evil:
Yes, we would see who can really bat:dry:

Anyway SS could you all another mod add the below to the following to the 'False Teeth Thread' and then lock it again? Thanks if you can, or no worries if you can't:)

I though Tommy Mitchell lost his false teeth?:unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a crying shame. Australia used to be of the most unique countries in the world in terms of variety of pitches. What's happened to the WACA is a cricketing tragedy.
Yeah, only Adelaide in Australia is supposed to be flat. Really annoying to see flat surfaces elsewhere. Same as it's annoying to see non-turning surfaces in India and Sri Lanka, non-seaming ones in West Indies, England and New Zealand.