• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

County cricket: winter signings

stumpski

International Captain
Just thought it might be an idea to have a thread where news of players retiring and changing counties could be posted. Some Surrey news: Ian Salisbury has been released, so they've shed three spinners this year following Doshi and Hamilton-Brown. Saqlain Mushtaq returns for a third spell at the Oval (and is England qualified from next season) and Pedro Collins has joined on Kolpak terms, further endangering the careers of Ormond and Akram.

Any news from other counties?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Matt Nicholson will also join Surrey as a Kolpak if Australia finalise their trade agreement with the EU. Surrey are also hopeful of signing Mohammad Asif as their overseas player for next year. Two top signings if Surrey can pull them off and getting Pedro Collins was a great coup. Guy should still be playing international cricket.

Rana Naved (shoulder injury permitting) has also joined Yorkshire.

stumpski

International Captain
Sounds as if Azhar Mahmood has gone for good, then. Pity, I rather liked him. Must say I have mixed feelings about the rather cosmopolitan nature of our attack next season. Can't see Ormond getting much cricket at all. I also heard a nasty rumour that Ramprakash was on his way to Sussex but that can't be true, can it? I think he's getting a benefit in the next year or two.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Sounds as if Azhar Mahmood has gone for good, then. Pity, I rather liked him. Must say I have mixed feelings about the rather cosmopolitan nature of our attack next season. Can't see Ormond getting much cricket at all. I also heard a nasty rumour that Ramprakash was on his way to Sussex but that can't be true, can it? I think he's getting a benefit in the next year or two.
That's a good thing. :)

Asif and Collins with the new ball, Nicholson and Jordan first and second change bowlers and then chuck in the possibility of a fit Saqlain. Good county attack for mine.

stumpski

International Captain
Bit of a League of Nations look to it, but I suppose that's part and parcel of the game nowadays - except at Glamorgan. I'd forgotten about Jordan tbh, I have high hopes for him - if he can keep his place that is.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Somerset have signed Omari Banks on a 2 year contract. Thoughts? I personally think it's a bit of a kick in the teeth for Arul & Wes.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Somerset have signed Omari Banks on a 2 year contract. Thoughts? I personally think it's a bit of a kick in the teeth for Arul & Wes.
Yeah, it's not good news for Durston and Suppiah hopefully it won't be terrible news for Munday, I fear it will though. He looks a bit of a bits-and-pieces player, haven't Somerset got enough of them?. He may be a good addition for one-dayers, but I hope he doesn't play many county games. Career average of 37, hard to see him spinning many teams out, especially at Taunton.

He is relatively young for a spinner, so maybe they see big improvement in him, who knows. :unsure:

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
I was just thinking how it was a shame there was no thread to talk about the winter signings, then i see this :D

Simon Jones signed for Worcs. Worse kept secret for a few days now but still nice to have it officially confirmed. If he stays fit he will be the signing of the summer. Especially on some bowler friendly tracks at New Road. Big if tho :@

stumpski

International Captain
I was just thinking how it was a shame there was no thread to talk about the winter signings, then i see this :D

Simon Jones signed for Worcs. Worse kept secret for a few days now but still nice to have it officially confirmed. If he stays fit he will be the signing of the summer. Especially on some bowler friendly tracks at New Road. Big if tho :@
Glamorgan will be sick if he manages a full season.

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Shame about Loudon - I think he was actually a decent player. Maybe not international standard, but a lot better than some of the journeymen playing their trade in county cricket. That said, I'd be a lot more gutted if he hadn't jacked Kent in for the Bears. Maybe his business career could have waited if they were still playing Div 1 cricket?

stumpski

International Captain
I remember the Middlesex batsman John Carr jacked in county cricket at 26 or so for a job in the City, and ended up coming back to cricket after two or three years - and carrying on as if he'd never been away. You need natural talent to be able to do that, it was like a throwback to the amateurs of the old days.

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Umar Gul set to sign for Worcestershire.

Ali / Mason / Jones / Gul is a pretty decent bowling lineup if all are fit (big if for Jones and an even bigger if for Mason :@ ).

Good to see we're taking strides to sort it out after last seasons shocking displays.

stumpski

International Captain
what exactly is a benefit year
Normally awarded around 10 years after the player gets their 'cap' (i.e. attains the status of a senior player), and these days generally consists of a series of fund-raising functions; at the end of the year the player gets the lot, tax free, They also have collections at matches, particularly at the well-attended Sunday games. In the old days a player was given a 'benefit match' at which he received all the takings, but I don't think that happens anymore.