• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Test Batsman since 2000

The Best Test Batsman of this century !VOTE 3 TIMES!

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
Inspired by this thread I have decided to make CW decide who is the best Test batsman of the decade, the qualification is 20 matches, (no Hussey) and must also have averaged 40+.

The Batsman

Australia

RT Ponting
7276 runs @ 65.54

ML Hayden
7478 @ 55.80

AC Gilchrist
4913 @ 47.69

DR Martyn
4089 @ 48.67

JL Langer
5994 @ 48.73

England

KP Pietersen
2898 @ 52.69

MP Vaughan
5053 @ 44.71

ME Trescothick
5825 @ 43.79

India

SR Tendulkar
5309 @ 53.09

R Dravid
6794 @ 59.59

V Sehwag
4155 @ 49.46

New Zealand

SP Fleming
3636 @ 40.85

Pakistan

Mohammad Yousuf
5656 @ 62.15

Inzamam-ul-Haq
5096 @ 56.62

Younis Khan
4423 @ 48.60

South Africa

JH Kallis
6836 @ 62.71

HH Gibbs
5046 @ 45.87

GC Smith
4532 @ 46.79

Sri Lanka

KC Sangakkara
5492 @ 54.37

DPMD Jaywardene
5697 @ 50.86

West Indies

BC Lara
6380 @ 54.06

S Chanderpaul
4948 @ 49.97

Zimbabwe

A Flower
2214 @ 63.25

When voting you can take whatever personal preferences into account, such as strike rates, preservation of wicket, technique. And perhaps a little country bias eh Phlegm? ;)

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
It's hardly the best way to judge a batsman but for me Kallis > Dravid because playing against my team in my country their averages since 2000 (basicallly since I started really watching cricket) are
Dravid 32.75
Kallis 70.80

Kallis's knock in Hamilton was immense, and I remember the media jumping on the lets fear Kallis bandwagon as he was averaging something like a hundred at the time.

I really prefer ranking batsman in matches I have actually seen if it's at all possible which is why I much prefer threads like this as opposed to all-timers.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Went for Ponting first, then Kallis and Yousuf. Dravid a close fourth.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Did put much thought into it tbh, yes 'the wall' will go down as an all time great:)
I was sure od Ponting at 1 and Dravid at 2 and almost put Inzy at 3 then I saw how much of Lara's cricket was played in this period and voted for him.

Laras batting during the period in question should not be under-rated by comparing it with Lara himself in another period.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I think I am biased against Kallis. Seriously, I must be. Wonder why? Must work that one out. :@

archie mac

International Coach
I was sure od Ponting at 1 and Dravid at 2 and almost put Inzy at 3 then I saw how much of Lara's cricket was played in this period and voted for him.

Laras batting during the period in question should not be under-rated by comparing it with Lara himself in another period.
Yes suprised at how well so many batsman have performed in this period, getting on for seven years, or is it a pitch preperation and bowler worry:unsure:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yes suprised at how well so many batsman have performed in this period, getting on for seven years, or is it a pitch preperation and bowler worry:unsure:
I have a feeling if I made a best bowler of this century thread there would be decidely less options. :laugh:

shortpitched713

International Captain
Went straight by averages and excluded Flower due to the short length of time that he played in the period in question. Unless someone can give me specific reasoning for why one batsman's runs are worth more than another's I see no reason that the most prolific run scorers should not be picked.