• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who was better: Hadlee or McGrath?

Who was better: Hadlee vs. McGrath

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

archie mac

International Coach
I watched them both, all of their careers (not every match for Hadlee, but pretty close to every Test match for McGrath)

I would say Hadlee by a decent but not huge margin:)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think McGrath's been made to look better in an era of paucity of quality pace bowling. Hadlee bowled at a time that there was a lot of competition for the best seam bowler in the world competition.

Obviously, if you assess them both as players; Hadlee's better batting (by a long way) and better fielding makes him a much more valuable player overall, and whilst their bowling bares pretty close resemblance in statistical terms, I think Hadlee to be marginally the better bowler.

That said, the last 5 years would have been abysmal for fast bowling if it hadn't been for McGrath.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Interesting. Why exactly? :huh:
Number of reasons.

The better reasons for me are how they bowled.

Hadlee was a proactive bowler. He had more wickets with winners than unforced errors fom the batsmen (my favourite tennis jargon for cricket). He would get you even if you did not make a mistake by bowling that unplayable delivery to which the only answer you had was a stroke of luck or prayer.

McGrath , as I have said before, was the fast bowler in a crafty spinner's body. He waited the batsman out. I think McGrath verusus Gavaskar or Haneef would have been very boring to watch for most of todays fans and I daresay these two batsmen at their peaks would have come out on top more often than one has seen from modern batsmen facing McGrath.

When you watched Hadlee bowl to your own favourite batsmen, you did feel for some of the deliveries, oh hell, how was the batsman supposed to play that one. Imran during a period in his career bowled a huge percentage of these deliveries. Hadlee did not do that much but he bowled a lot of them and bowled them over most of his career.

With McGrath bowling to Tendulkar you feel oh why couldnt he have left it alone.

Hadlee also moved the ball more both in the air and off the wicket than McGrath and did so with the same unerring accuracy that McGrathtoo possessed.

To other reasons, more often offered in such arguments with some validity. Hadlee bowled virtually alone as far as creating real pressure was concerned. McGrath had the great Warne and a very decent second fast bowler most of the times.

McGrath bowled for a side very dominant and almost standing alone in world cricket. Mostly to batsmen already under the pressure of a big score. Hadlee rarely had such incidental support.

Another reason, which I know will be very strongly disputed is that in my opinion, Hadlee bowled to better batsmen than McGrath had to. I agree this is debatable but its a personal opinion. :)

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
I think McGrath's been made to look better in an era of paucity of quality pace bowling. Hadlee bowled at a time that there was a lot of competition for the best seam bowler in the world competition.
Let's be frank here. If we're willing to lambaste Ponting, Dravid and Kallis for playing in a era of alleged flat decks and bore-draws, then for consistency's sake McGrath should be regarded accordingly.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
McGrath , as I have said before, was the fast bowler in a crafty spinner's body. He waited the batsman out. I think McGrath verusus Gavaskar or Haneef would have been very boring to watch for most of todays fans and I daresay these two batsmen at their peaks would have come out on top more often than one has seen from modern batsmen facing McGrath.
Yeah, I agree with this bit. Guys like Gavaskar would have done very well against McGrath because they were much less likely to take as many risks and McGrath is not the most creative bowler out there.

I think, and maybe you can give your opinion on this too, that the necessity for the SR of batsmen to be higher, in this era, have helped bowlers and in particular McGrath a bit.

Let's be frank here. If we're willing to lambaste Ponting, Dravid and Kallis for playing in a era of alleged flat decks and bore-draws, then for consistency's sake McGrath should be regarded accordingly.
EXACTLY!

Perm

Curtley Ambrose, Allan Donald, Wasim Akram, Courtney Walsh, Waqar Younis and others have been more than worthy competition imo.
Worthy competition, but I think you'll find there were better fast bowlers around in Hadlee's time.

eglezdzdiyd

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'm not going to comment on this as i didn't see much of hadlee but i will say that mcgrath was ridiculously good and an aussie at that.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, I agree with this bit. Guys like Gavaskar would have done very well against McGrath because they were much less likely to take as many risks and McGrath is not the most creative bowler out there.

I think, and maybe you can give your opinion on this too, that the necessity for the SR of batsmen to be higher, in this era, have helped bowlers and in particular McGrath a bit.
Oh yes. It is one of the longer term effects of one day cricket.

• Batsmen become more aggressive. Strikes rates go up
  • Bowlers become more defensive. Run checking becomes the first instinct.
  • Overall bowling standards decline.
  • Batsmen become more adventurous and innovative which pays against mediocre bowling and defensive batting techniques decline.
  • The best bowlers exploit this.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Considering Hadlee was single handedly the Kiwi attack I thought this was a no brainer, especially taking batting into account.
That's why Hadlee would have less wins. But Hadlee only bowled 3 more overs per match more than McGrath. Their stats are quite similar.

Curtley Ambrose, Allan Donald, Wasim Akram, Courtney Walsh, Waqar Younis and others have been more than worthy competition imo.
Hadlee's career coincideded with much better bowlers than most of those e.g Imran"best bowler ever"Khan,Andy Roberts,Joel Garner,Colin Croft,Maclom Marshall,Dennis Lillee,Michael Holding etc

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Hadlee's career coincideded with much better bowlers than most of those e.g Imran"best bowler ever"Khan,Malcom Marshall,Andy Roberts,Joel Garner,Colin Croft,Dennis Lillee,Michael Holding etc
IMO, that's up for argument, and even so, they were not MUCH better. Furthermore, what does that prove? Very little. McGrath is as great in his time - if not moreso - as Hadlee was in his. Still doesn't say much.

What's more important is batsmen they faced and pitches they bowled on.

Last edited:

Perm

Hadlee's career coincideded with much better bowlers than most of those e.g Imran"best bowler ever"Khan,Andy Roberts,Joel Garner,Colin Croft,Maclom Mashall,Dennis Lillee,Michael Holding etc
Yet again, do you need to mention how much you love Imran? Not really.