• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hogg

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
thats true marc but ive seen him bowl a reasonable amount now and he looks good, he can also bat well

do remember that he was skipper of the aussie u/19 team, other u/19 reps include:
Michael Clarke (captain)
Hauritz was a vice captain
Gillespie was sent on a tour in place of brad williams
Nathan Braken
Mike Hussey
Andrew Symonds
Brad williams
Shane Watson

so as yoiu can see plenty of good players have been in the Aussie u/19 side, some were not even origionally picked in it, and some good players were not even selected at all for it, but certainly not many have been captain

Kimbo

International Debutant
I reckon MacGill would do better in ODIs than in tests because of the amount of spin he puts on the ball. In a test the batsmen dont feel the pressure because they can leave most of his deliveries. In an ODI batsmen are forced to play attacking shots, a risk against a big turner.
Like Ntini- his bowling is hard to score off- easy to survive in a test, but a real risk to play shots against.

sorry. a bit off the topic here. just saw macgills name...

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
hmmm ecxept that macgill gets hit for alot of runs, he takes wickets (excepft for this season) but gets hit more than any other NSW top line bowler

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
Macgill hard to hit.....not too sure, I suspect Brian Lara would have something to reply to that.....

Dave Mohammed is a promising young West Indian Chinamen bowler, he is around 20-21 and took 4 wickets against the Southafricans in an innings when they last toured WIs. Is said to be able to turn the ball and is quite accurate, a promising youngster for the WIs, however in his first first-class season last year he had a few bad games which made his statistics look bad...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
do remember that he was skipper of the aussie u/19 team, other u/19 reps include:
Michael Clarke (captain)
Hauritz was a vice captain
Gillespie was sent on a tour in place of brad williams
Nathan Braken
Mike Hussey
Andrew Symonds
Brad williams
Shane Watson

so as yoiu can see plenty of good players have been in the Aussie u/19 side, some were not even origionally picked in it, and some good players were not even selected at all for it, but certainly not many have been captain
Plenty of good players? You've named 8, of which only 1 is an established International - hardly a great advert for it.

Under 19 cricket means not a lot in all honesty, as players develop at different rates - some are already good enough at that time, some go backward after that.

Look at the current England side - IIRC no 18 year olds were selected for this side to tour Australia as they'll be too old come the next world cup.

That could mean that they gain a good team spirit from 2 years together and could do well in the World Cup - but will that then mean that England will rule the Cricketing World in a couple of years after that? No.

Look at the number of players aged under 19, and the number able to play Test Cricket - at any one time I wouldn't expect a side to have more than 2 or 3 who represented their Under 19 side.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
R_Powell_fan said:
Macgill hard to hit.....not too sure, I suspect Brian Lara would have something to reply to that.....

Dave Mohammed is a promising young West Indian Chinamen bowler, he is around 20-21 and took 4 wickets against the Southafricans in an innings when they last toured WIs. Is said to be able to turn the ball and is quite accurate, a promising youngster for the WIs, however in his first first-class season last year he had a few bad games which made his statistics look bad...
Chinaman...very few people have ever managed to be consistantly successful, well I can't actually remember anyone who was consistantly succesful, Bevan is a part-timer and Paul Adams can be either unplayable or all over the place.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Adams would be better if he sorted his action out.
Ermmm...this is Adams...how could he possibly sort his action out? Other than bowl in a conventional way, which would take away everything that makes him successful...the ability to do something totally out of the ordinary, the surprise factor really.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Rik said:
Ermmm...this is Adams...how could he possibly sort his action out? Other than bowl in a conventional way, which would take away everything that makes him successful...the ability to do something totally out of the ordinary, the surprise factor really.

Yeh I suppose if he bowled with a normal action like that he would be really run of the mill and ordinary, and wouldnt have played for SA. Bojé is better by miles anyway...

sasnoz

Banned
rik and marc u guys were saying about promising english players in latter posts but when a aussie says that cam white is a talent u guys get jealous and start picking on people

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn't see any posts where they were picking on people. I think they were just expressing the opinion that it's too early to tell if they'll go far at international level.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
sasnoz said:
rik and marc u guys were saying about promising english players in latter posts but when a aussie says that cam white is a talent u guys get jealous and start picking on people
Jealous? And picking on people? What? We get annoyed because every young Australian is supposed to be better than our established players...now come on that's taking it a bit far.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Cam white would be the first spinner in England i reakon, Eng have been desperate for a leggie ever since they saw shane warne

sasnoz

Banned
ok i went a bit to far but u guys are hypocricts when u talk about ur young english men who are going to break into the side in a few years,and he only said he would be in the side in a few years

didnt use words right b4, i only want to see consistency in thoughts

Andre

International Regular
sasnoz said:
ok i went a bit to far but u guys are hypocricts when u talk about ur young english men who are going to break into the side in a few years,and he only said he would be in the side in a few years

didnt use words right b4, i only want to see consistency in thoughts
Who are you, the thought police? Quite frankly, what Marc and Rik generally say is not far from what's right.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
age_master said:
Cam white would be the first spinner in England i reakon, Eng have been desperate for a leggie ever since they saw shane warne
Cameron White has a FC Average of 38 with the ball. Chris Schofields was 29 when he was picked to play against Zimbabwe. I think that answers your question.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Andre said:
Who are you, the thought police? Quite frankly, what Marc and Rik generally say is not far from what's right.
Well you can't argue if an Aussie says that. :D Ta Andre

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
what do you think scofileds average would be if he played for victoria rik, playing on a good spinning pitch 0-1 time per year i think he might wll average in teh 33-40 range