• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Team Discipine - ways of controlling it

James

Cricket Web Owner
Looking over the past few years, you could point to many team discipline issues with the recent jelly-bean saga from England being high on the list of extremely poor sportsmanship.

It seems all the umpire can do is issue warnings which in the end really mean nothing, and then its in the hands of the match referee following the end of the match.

Does something need to be introduced in-play? Something like a yellow-card, red-card system where if the umpires deem it necessary they can issue a player or a team as a whole with yellow/red card. If the team got issued a yellow-card, the other side gets a bonus 25 runs, and if a red card is introduced, the player is banned from the following Test.

What I guess I'm getting at is, does something need to be introduced that helps to prevent this kind of behaviour.

Should sledging in any shape or form even be banned totally?

Thoughts?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I just think the individuals have to own up to this, themselves. Most of these guys tend to be decently educated and they should know what's acceptable and what isn't. I suppose adding a few extraneous things like exposure to various cultures and about what is acceptable and what isn't in various parts of the world as part of the curriculum in the various national cricket academies around the world wouldn't be a bad start.

The responsibility has to go through this hierarchy, AFAIC. Player - captain - umpire. First of all, the player himself should know when he crosses the line and should be able to apologize immediately. Example being the way bowlers immediately apologize after beamers. Next, if the said player doesn't do so when it is clear that he has overstepped the acceptable norms, the captain has to take him aside and talk to him and also apologize on behalf of his team mate. But even if the captain does nothing, then the umpire should step in, talk to both the player and his captain and tell him that this sort of behaviour is just not on. To be honest, I do think that currently that is how they are going about things and it is not the worst, AFAIC.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Warn them. If they avoid the filter or go on insulting personally, 1 week ban. Do it again, life ban.

CW Style. :lol:

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Ban the captain for the next Test match, would stop 99% of the carry on:@
Not sure how in jest this is, but it's more or less spot on. If the captains start getting penalised for the actions of their players you can be damn sure it'll stop quick smart. Not that I think it's such a big epidemic that anything needs to be done about it right atm. You have a few things here and there but nothing that much.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
IMO, they need to just turn the stump mics on full 24x7 so all the banter and sledging will stay in and anything out of bounds will automatically be weeded out as the public won't want to hear it (or the players might get in trouble by their own boards/refs).

Engle

State Vice-Captain
Have the offender make an immediate unconditional public apology for unsportsmanlike behaviour and a promise not to do it again.
A ban until they do so.

sideshowtim

Banned
Your Red card idea is a terrible one, and I think the way the public and the media are behaving in response to what happened in the last test in England is kinda dumb. Sledging is part of the game, deal with it. How boring would the game be if both sides were all shaking each others hands, being matey at all times? Screw that, let's get some passion and fire into Tests. That's what I love to see. The only time things are going too far is when things are getting too personal or physical violence is a threat.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO, they need to just turn the stump mics on full 24x7 so all the banter and sledging will stay in and anything out of bounds will automatically be weeded out as the public won't want to hear it (or the players might get in trouble by their own boards/refs).
They did that when Aus were last in SA. They had to turn them down again because Gilchrist (who didn't much like the idea) started plugging all sorts of sponsers really loudly :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
every person has different tolerence levels, how do you know if it is too much?

That is exactly why I think you just have to pass more control to the umps here. If a particular player finds something offensive, it is upto the opposing player/captain to make sure that they apologize and not repeat such things. Again, a certain amount of common sense should be applied by the umpire, because then certain players could go on saying all and sundry is unacceptable to them. Even though this seems theoretically rather complex, I think it won't be that difficult once everyone gets an idea of what is expected of them in such instances, esp. the umps and the ref and the captains.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't want to derail the thread too much but this is kinda related: does anyone know the significence of the jelly beans? Or were they just what we were using to get the ball to reverse, er, rather boost our fielders' glucose levels? :ph34r:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't want to derail the thread too much but this is kinda related: does anyone know the significence of the jelly beans? Or were they just what we were using to get the ball to reverse, er, rather boost our fielders' glucose levels? :ph34r:
Players chew them as they are a good source of energy throughout the day (they release energy slowly over a long period of time). I don't know what the reverse swinging properties are, but in this series players have focused on normal swing and not reverse, so it is possible that they had a lot of extra beans that weren't being used.... :laugh:

I think its a bit of fun and a joke, but you shouldn't throw anything on the pitch really....it is possible that it can adversely affect the bounce of the ball which would be cheating. 'Cause if that's allowed, I would probably chew hard candies and spit them out on the crease...and then use my boot to bury them into the ground. That would surely have an effect in the next innings when its my turn to bowl.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Players chew them as they are a good source of energy throughout the day (they release energy slowly over a long period of time). I don't know what the reverse swinging properties are, but in this series players have focused on normal swing and not reverse, so it is possible that they had a lot of extra beans that weren't being used.... :laugh:

I think its a bit of fun and a joke, but you shouldn't throw anything on the pitch really....it is possible that it can adversely affect the bounce of the ball which would be cheating. 'Cause if that's allowed, I would probably chew hard candies and spit them out on the crease...and then use my boot to bury them into the ground. That would surely have an effect in the next innings when its my turn to bowl.
By repute sugary saliva is rather useful for shining one side of the ball, but Extra Strong mints were always our sweet of choice. Allegedly, obv.

I'm probably just reading too much into it, but I was hoping there was some symbolic significance to the use of jelly beans.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
By repute sugary saliva is rather useful for shining one side of the ball, but Extra Strong mints were always our sweet of choice. Allegedly, obv.

I'm probably just reading too much into it, but I was hoping there was some symbolic significance to the use of jelly beans.
Not sure, maybe. But considering not a single bowler has reverse swung the ball this series, I am not sure what it could be.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
A journalist was on SNN yesterday reporting that one possible theory was that the bean was left on the wicket or thrown onto the wicket for Zaheer as a piss-take and slight on Khan - with the ‘comical’ connotation being that he was a ball tamperer, the sugared sweet, exaggerated swing and what not.

Although with the swing being conventional, I’m not sure about the validity of such a theory but possibly more a long standing insult on Khan…

Another reasoning put forth was that the jelly bean was a metaphor for Zaheer, in that the guy goes to jelly when the going gets tough.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
A journalist was on SNN yesterday reporting that one possible theory was that the bean was left on the wicket or thrown onto the wicket for Zaheer as a piss-take and slight on Khan - with the ‘comical’ connotation being that he was a ball tamper, the sugared sweet, exaggerated swing and what not.

Although with the swing being conventional, I’m not sure about the validity of such a theory but possibly more a long standing insult on Khan…

Another reasoning put forth was that the jelly bean was a metaphor for Zaheer, in that the guy goes to jelly when the going gets tough.
Both possibilities, but Zaheer Khan to my knowledge has never really had that type of reputation (if anything, it has been the English bowlers). The cracking under pressure could very well be right though...hadn't thought of that. And up until now, it would be true as well.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I think the system we have in at the moment is fine.

Personaly i don't think there's anything wrong with sledging aslong as it's not racist, both sides give and receive and if you're a batsman worth your salt you ignore it and hit a hundred.

Tbh i think the media does a good job of regulating player actions, the way they magnify out every little flashpoint into a backpage headline means that the players would be stupid to do it again, IE i don't think we'll be seeing any jelly beans on the pitch for a while.