Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Allan Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I agree with DB that he often overdid (still does, in fact) the short stuff but what injury do you speak of? To my knowledge Cork never had a serious injury in his career until 2003, when he (sadly) played half the season with a chipped bone in his ankle. Not sure what you're on with trying too hard to York everyone - the Yorker is one of his best balls and has earnt him some of his best and most spectacular dismissals. Can't see that he overdid it at all - if anything, later on he didn't really use it enough.
    Surprised you don't remember as he's one of your favs; he did his back on the Pakistan tour of 00/01 and played none of the tests on that or the subsequent tour. Was never as effective after for mine.

WRT the yourker, I personally thought he overdid it on occasion as his best length (IMHO, obv) was always a fullish good length to allow the ball to swing, which was his major weapon.
    Cricket Web's current Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"Ben Stokes, that most unlikely saint, worked the second of the two miracles he needs for his canonisation." - The Guardian's Andy Bell on the England all-rounder's Headingley ton

A great, great fast bowler - stood out as one of the very best even in an era of great quicks.

FWIW, he shares the new ball with Trueman in my all time world fourth XI.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    Surprised you don't remember as he's one of your favs; he did his back on the Pakistan tour of 00/01 and played none of the tests on that or the subsequent tour. Was never as effective after for mine.
    Uh, yeah, don't know how I forgot about that...

I'd disagree he was never again as effective: he was terrible in the summer of 2001, when he barely swung so much as a single delivery (though he wasn't alone there: that was the summer when they changed something in the manufacture which only seems to have changed back this season, and finally balls are swinging properly like they should do in this country again). But he was very much back to his best in 2002, and was very poorly used by the England selectors that summer: picked for Tests when he shouldn't have been, meaning he missed loads of domestic cricket he should have been playing, and perhaps had he played he'd have done better when he was picked for the Tests at the right time.

Then the following season, as I say, he chipped a bone in his ankle and, obviously, had his effectiveness reduced. After that, he moved from seam-friendly Derby to flat Old Trafford and I'd say that was a bad career move even if he'd had enough of the Derbyshire merry-go-round. Since he's gone to Lancs he's never looked like being the same bowler, really.
    WRT the yourker, I personally thought he overdid it on occasion as his best length (IMHO, obv) was always a fullish good length to allow the ball to swing, which was his major weapon.
    A Yorker allows the ball to swing, though. The swinging Yorker is more deadly even than the swinging good-length ball.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    Always been a fan of Donald. Mostly for the sheer passion he clearly has and because he stuck out with his warpaint, plus he was a Warks. player. He's playing at the Warks. 125 anniversary game and i'll definitely be in attendence to watch the guy live.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Was thinking Mitchell posting in a thread like this?

Then I remembered the Warks connection.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information