• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rahul Dravid and Ricky Ponting

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Those posters who are from the sub-continent may be able to comment on this better than I can so I'll throw it up as a point - when Australia go to the sub-continent, they often say that they have to play a more patient game when they are batting (they don't always do it very wel btw). Is that a fair thing to say re. the conditions on the sub-continent? Because if it is, I'm wondering whether that may explain the perception some have as to Dravid being a more cautious player than Ponting. Is it a factor in the way his game/ technique has developed?
Hmm. From what I've seen of cricket in the subcontinent, I wouldn't say there is a real need to be more patient than normal. I think the hardest thing for the Australians is lasting out all 5 days because the conditions are extremely hot and humid. In that regard, they would probably be wanting to be patient so that they don't get out playing a rash shot just because of the heat. Not sure how reasonable or likely that is, though.

Dravid is a cautious batsman by most yardsticks. He definitely has the strokes, but he has been nicknamed "The Wall" because of the stability he provides and the many times he has saved India from the blushes. Dravid doesn't really play big shots--even his fastest innings have come with most shots timed perfectly to the boundary rather than being blasted over it.

And comparison to other batsmen in India shows that it is maybe a unique characteristic of Dravid. His most experienced teammates--Tendulkar, Ganguly and Laxman--are all strokemakers first and would definitely be on a different level of 'caution'.

Beleg

International Regular
I think it would have to be Ponting and Yousuf tbh.
Mohammad Yousuf is a couple of classes below both Ponting and Dravid.

Ponting, Dravid, Tendulkar, Inzamam, Kallis, Gilchrist and Hayden are all easily better batsmen than him, for starters.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But here's the thing, I am not disputing the chance never comes up, I am disputing the fact that it doesn't come up much. And mostly, when it does, Ponting has more or less wiped out the opposition himself, even if his openers have failed, and he still hasn't had to play that kind of innings. And if he doesn't save it on his own, then he still has batsmen from 4-7 who are capable of still saving that innings. So, it's not like he was batting with his #7 trying to raise a score of 150 on the board and save his team regularly. Australia are rarely in that position.
I know full well they aren't - in fact, I've begun to question why we're even arguing this, really. Ponting hasn't had that many of the situations in question, but equally the number of innings of said stature have been so rare as to say that "he'd put his team in a better position were he to play this sort of knock" doesn't really apply IMO.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mohammad Yousuf is a couple of classes below both Ponting and Dravid.

Ponting, Dravid, Tendulkar, Inzamam, Kallis, Gilchrist and Hayden are all easily better batsmen than him, for starters.
I'm a massive, massive Gilchrist fan but I wouldn't say that he is easily a better batsman than Yousuf.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly hasn't been the last 4 years. In the 4 years before that, yes, but of late, no.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Ponting has probably won more games off his own bat, this doesn't show up on stats pages
Also what doesn't show up is the efforts of McGrath, Warne, and company in securing the 20 wickets so Ponting can build a good lead. Or wait, maybe that does show up.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I know full well they aren't - in fact, I've begun to question why we're even arguing this, really. Ponting hasn't had that many of the situations in question, but equally the number of innings of said stature have been so rare as to say that "he'd put his team in a better position were he to play this sort of knock" doesn't really apply IMO.
Then, likewise, it should be accepted that when people say Ponting is more dominant, it doesn't apply that "Dravid is rarely in that position, but what makes you think he couldn't do it?".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Then, likewise, it should be accepted that when people say Ponting is more dominant, it doesn't apply that "Dravid is rarely in that position, but what makes you think he couldn't do it?".
I've never said Ponting isn't typically the more dominant - I've said that I don't neccessarily set too much stall by the fact that he is.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Agree with that, I'd probably rate Yousuf as a better batsman than Hayden as well.
That's a debatable one, that.

The two have much in common.

The only area Yousuf unquestionably has above Hayden is that he's far, far better-looking in his strokeplay.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Am i the only one on this board that acctualy likes Hayden as a batsman??
Even bearing in mind that "like" and "rate" are two different things... no, probably not.

I find it baffling to think that anyone could actually enjoy watching him though. :mellow:

open365

International Vice-Captain
Even bearing in mind that "like" and "rate" are two different things... no, probably not.

I find it baffling to think that anyone could actually enjoy watching him though. :mellow:
I like AND rate.

Dad must have dropped me on my head when i was a baby i guess