• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bedi: Gavaskar is a destructive influence

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I dont think I have read such Interviews in last 5-10 years where Gavaskar has made those statements but I could be wrong. And even if we accept that he has said that, may I ask you, what he needs to do ?

Anyways, Gavaskar has burnt his fingers working with BCCI many a times and despite that he continues to offer is help, are there any takers who are willing to take note ?

In 1996 World Cup Camp and another camp after that :-

"...would Gavaskar want to be at the camp at all? He has already been bitten twice by the Board's approach.

Back in 1996, when he attended a camp before the World Cup, this is what happened, in his own words: 'There was no one at the airport to receive me, and when I checked out of the hotel, I paid the bills. It is not the bills, I can afford to pay the hotel's cost, but I don't know if it is proper.'

Two years later, despite the gaffe of the 1996 camp, Gavaskar kept himself free for the Indian camp before the 1999 World Cup, from August 21 to 28, 1998, waiting for a call from the Board. "

http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2003/jul/14greg.htm

In 2004, Gavaskar was asked to be the batting Consultant of the team, he was there.

Gavaskar has been asked to take up positions @ NCA, various committees without being paid a single penny for those services and he has done that. What more do we want from him for free ?

I am not talking about for free here. I am talking about being a full time paid coach or manager or even an administrator at the board. He was the NCA chairman, sure, but look at how much time he spent there. There are a lot of unsung guys who do more for Indian cricket than Gavaskar does and they don't go around projecting themselves as people who really care for Indian cricket, even though they do.

And don't get me wrong. I hate Bedi. I think Gavaskar is much better than him and I think Bedi can be accused of the same "not wanting to be accountable thing" as Gavaskar is.

but as far as Gavaskar goes, I think there is some merit in the criticism that he doesn't want to be accountable while he just wants to be the critic. Most of the stuff he says in commentary and during analysis shows show that.

R_D

International Debutant
Agree with what Bedi has to say really.... wish Gavaskar would leave indian cricket alone much like the Gandhi family should leave indian politics. Both are like cancer who you can't get rid off.

Bedi's probaly not the right person to say all this stuff but someone has to.

On Gavasker Great batsman but as we put at my soccer club " **** Bloke".

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I am not talking about for free here. I am talking about being a full time paid coach or manager or even an administrator at the board. He was the NCA chairman, sure, but look at how much time he spent there. There are a lot of unsung guys who do more for Indian cricket than Gavaskar does and they don't go around projecting themselves as people who really care for Indian cricket, even though they do.
How much time does one expect the Chairman of the academy to spend @ NCA. He was the Chairman(honorary) not the batting coach. IMO when he was the Chairman, he did alright and so did the NCA, considering the mess he took over from Dungurpur.

Here is a link which will tell you a little about his involvement with NCA - http://www.thehindu.com/thehindu/2003/06/05/stories/2003060505502000.htm

I think NCA made more progress under Gavaskar than it did before or after him.And I am of the opinion is that Gavaskar isn't a professional team manager/coach hence he should not be expected to take such a job.

I am not denying that there are guys who do a lot more for Indian Cricket than Gavaskar does or has done . What I disagree with this notion is that 'Gavaskar is a Destructive force' in Indian cricket. It simply is not true or at least there have not been any arguments made to prove this.

Those who are making this accustion neither have enough credibility to make such statement nor have any valid argument/reason to prove it. Also I disagree with the notion that 'Gavaskar project himself as if he cares for Indian Cricket, but in reality he doesn't'. No one who makes such blanket statements has ever presented any valid argument.

And no, saying that 'he doesn't take up the Coaching job India because he doesn't want accountability' isn't a valid reason.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
but as far as Gavaskar goes, I think there is some merit in the criticism that he doesn't want to be accountable while he just wants to be the critic. Most of the stuff he says in commentary and during analysis shows show that.
Is he different from other commentators though (say Pataudi or Manjrekar) ? I mean dont all (indian) commentators say that ?