• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Strauss's Test selection justified ?

Woodster

International Captain
My overview of Strauss is that that he is a more than capable Test opener, with a decent Test record to date, and has proved that he can score runs against top class attacks.

The general consensus is that 'attacks have now worked him out', so the next move is for Strauss to assess his weaknesses and counter what bowling attacks throw at him.

If he succeeds (and he may have to relatively quickly) then there is no reason why he can't build on his good record and open the batting for England for the foreseeable future. Failure may see a return to Domestic cricket, and a chance for Bopara or others.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
My overview of Strauss is that that he is a more than capable Test opener, with a decent Test record to date, and has proved that he can score runs against top class attacks.

The general consensus is that 'attacks have now worked him out', so the next move is for Strauss to assess his weaknesses and counter what bowling attacks throw at him.

And that's where he's disappointed me. Given that his iffy partch goes back a couple of years now, you'd really hope that he'd have a think about things,and address whatever issues need sorting. Much of it, afaics, come down to shot selection, and I well remember guys like Thorpe & Steve Waugh simply cutting out shots that were getting them into trouble. Basically, that involved playing straighter, certainly for the first couple of hours or so in an innings. Going back to Old Traffpord, I agree with those who wouldn't drop him for the Edwards dismissal, but the 1st innings was far more worrying. Why on earth play across the line at thet stage of his innings, especially when he hadn't made a score for ages. If that means he takes lunch at 35* for a while, then so be it.

I'd have still picked him for this week though. Like Rich, I think that Vaughan at 3 is a thoroughly good thing (although I hope that Bopara bats there in the odis). The one opener in the CC who I know is regularly making decent scores in reasonably testing situations is Rob Key and, if Strauss has another mare in the 4th test, then maybe he should be brought back against India. And at that point, I'll run for cover.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The one opener in the CC who I know is regularly making decent scores in reasonably testing situations is Rob Key and, if Strauss has another mare in the 4th test, then maybe he should be brought back against India. And at that point, I'll run for cover.

Rob Key! Is that the best we can do? Aren't there any more players we can steal from other countries that can do a better job? :ph34r:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Rob Key! Is that the best we can do? Aren't there any more players we can steal from other countries that can do a better job? :ph34r:
I gather that Sehwag's available. Or Langer.

But that's the problem, isn't it. I don't agree with bringing back Trescothick until we know he can tour again, and I wonder if that will ever happen anyway. Nor would I pick some youngster who might be OK but hasn't done a thing to merit selection. Hence my call for BF Robert. I understand why a lot of folks will disagree, although he's not exactly had a serious run in the side tbf.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Seriously, I'd love to see Key playing for England again. One of my favourite players tbh.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
They are right to give him this Test IMO but i really hope he succseeds here otherwise we have a problem. I wouldn't pick him for the ODI side (he has only really done well in ODIs against BD and the 2004 Windies) but the problem is we are coming to the 20/20 phase of the domestic season and 20/20 is the last place you would want a struggling opener to try and regain his form because of pressure of the clock. Hopefully Moores will just tell him to BAT for an hour in the next Test. Don't worry about runs just stay in. In fairness to the guy he's had bad luck - "sawn off" a couple of times in Australia and I bet you in 2004 he would have either got an inside edge on that Edwards delivery or Fidel would have produced it when Strauss was at the non strikers end - I 'm sure that in 2004 he had luck he hasn't had lately - always happens when you do well...

Spitfires_Fan

State Vice-Captain
If Key was better looking than he is, I bet he'd be a lot more popular. People seem to dislike him just because he's stocky and a bit red in the face. Fact is, he's a very good opening batsman, sharp in the field and he's got a good tactical brain as well.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If Key was better looking than he is, I bet he'd be a lot more popular. People seem to dislike him just because he's stocky and a bit red in the face. Fact is, he's a very good opening batsman, sharp in the field and he's got a good tactical brain as well.
He is also an arse of renown and I dont believe he is that popular in the dressing room either.

I actually have no issue with Trescothick playing domestic Tests and not touring. You must pick your best XI players availalbe for each game rather than invent principles to further complicate selection.

Especially if it is known in advance that it is the situation. Rather than seeing it as him not 'doing his duty', I see it as getting a better team out for half the games and his non-touring actually gives someone else an opportunity.

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I actually have no issue with Trescothick playing domestic Tests and not touring. You must pick your best XI players availalbe for each game rather than invent principles to further complicate selection.

Especially if it is known in advance that it is the situation. Rather than seeing it as him not 'doing his duty', I see it as getting a better team out for half the games and his non-touring actually gives someone else an opportunity.
Hmmm. So when half the side look at that and decide they'd really rather not tour SL this winter, thank you very much, then they can drop out safe in the knowledge that they'll be back next summer unless their replacements perform like Bradman or Marshall in their pomp? Not sure that I like that paricular scenario. I wasn't all that keen on it when I first followed the game, and I see no reason to change now.

btw I don't actually think it's got anything to do with Tres "doing his duty" or otherwise, and I wouldn't want to him tarnished in that way.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I do think you need some continuity on your team. I am not sure if its a healthy situation when certain players refuse to tour with the team. But then again, there are a lot of players who are good at home and not so good abroad, so effectively, they are 'home-only' players as well. If Trescothick can be a good contributor, I don't think he should be ruled out of playing home-only Tests. However, if someone is found that can perform at almost the same level at home, and is willing to tour, I would dump Tres in favor of that guy.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There has to be continuity and for most teams and players there will be. There is a simple motivation, if they dont tour they dont get paid. Simple as that.

Players are not obliged to tour and if they dont they lose out on money. Its a choice they have to make.

Its a brave player that elects to pick and choose their games as they can easily be surpassed but its a risk you should be allowed to take. Just look at Trescothick again. He was the man in possession and lost it due to pulling out of tours and now Strauss and Cook are the openers. If Strauss was scoring runs Trescothick wouldnt even enter the picture. He was soon left behind as Cook took his place.

Its a risk any player should be allowed to take and they shouldnt be forced to tour. However, in the same way their place should not just be kept warm for them if someone comes in and does the business.

My thoughts are simple, pick the best XI players available.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I do think you need some continuity on your team. I am not sure if its a healthy situation when certain players refuse to tour with the team. But then again, there are a lot of players who are good at home and not so good abroad, so effectively, they are 'home-only' players as well. If Trescothick can be a good contributor, I don't think he should be ruled out of playing home-only Tests. However, if someone is found that can perform at almost the same level at home, and is willing to tour, I would dump Tres in favor of that guy.
Obviously it's fair from ideal to have players only playing at home, but I'd much rather have a player play at home than not at all providing he was the best option.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't know why really. Pretty much just enjoyed watching him bat when he was in Australia in 02/03 and have liked him since.
Yeah, a bit the same really. He finished the series with a dire average, but given it was his first series, he was batting out of position, and his team was getting hammered, I think it was just a tad misleading. He showed lots of guts and determination to get consistent starts - and then threw it away to part-time medium pacers which was a shame, but I think he showed some promise on that tour.

pasag

RTDAS
You don't need a reason for having favourite players, alot of times it's just irrational anyways. I can't really explain why I <3 RTD. Just do tbh.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm quite the Strauss fan tbh, and i've found it disheartening to go through such a rough patch of form, not helped at all by some dire calls against him here in the ashes. I for one would had to see him dropped, but given his current form, it's fair to say he needs to be. However, if there are no openers ready to replace him, what would be the chances of Vaughan opening, and bringing in Key, or even promoting Bell up to 3??

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm quite the Strauss fan tbh, and i've found it disheartening to go through such a rough patch of form, not helped at all by some dire calls against him here in the ashes. I for one would had to see him dropped, but given his current form, it's fair to say he needs to be. However, if there are no openers ready to replace him, what would be the chances of Vaughan opening, and bringing in Key, or even promoting Bell up to 3??
Key is an opener anyway. If Key came in, he'd open. Vaughan would only open if they brought in Shah or Bopara.

Woodster

International Captain
On the Trescothick subject, I have said previously, I don't think its a good thing picking players that only want to play home games, not bother with the away ones. I understand it is more than that with Trescothick, but, imo, it is part of their job, if you said at work that you'll do a particular job you enjoy, but I ain't doing no filing, or whatever, you wouldn't last long. I also don't think Tres would make himself available until he believes he can fulfill all obligations.

Rob Key is an interesting option, and if the selectors do decide to take Strauss out of the firing line, for me Key would have to be thereabouts. He deserves another international chance imo.