• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How many runs is acceptable for you to raise your bat at the end your innings?

deeps

International 12th Man
I think Hayden raised his bat for about 30-35 in the world cup final or semi..thought it was a bit weird at the time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That was for some obscure reason that escapes me now, but I remember it well and there was some very good reason.

Sometimes batsmen will pass milestones outside the simple match-based ones (5000 Test runs, for instance) and will obviously raise their bat to rightful applause in such circumstances.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If its in the middle then 50 and 100 are the only times unless its for something like 500 or 1000 runs for the season.

If we are talking about walking off after being dismissed then any score when there are people clapping you in and you are not pissed off with the way you have batted.

In the middle, I see it as a way of celebrating the score you have reached and after being dismissed I see it as a way of acknowledging the crowd and thanking them for their applause.

bagapath

International Captain
at least 1.5 times your batting average.. example: bradman should be allowed to raise his bat only if he crossed 150 whereas walsh could do it if he scored 6

Last edited:

Barney Rubble

International Coach
If the crowd applauds you then it is polite to raise your bat and acknowledge them IMO, even if you score 0.
Yeah, that's my way of thinking.

I've raised my bat before for scores as low as 11 - we were getting pummelled by a very strong team and ended up making 34 all out, I got applauded for resisting for a little while.

Also got applauded for making 27 on my 2nd XI debut at school, on my 18th birthday. Not sure which of the factors was the driving force behind the applause. :laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was probably more in awe of keeping an avatar from a challenge for three times the required length of time, TBH. I'd applaud that every time, even if it was 2 years before the event.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Take it up with Manan, not me.

I do agree with all the bowlers he lists, though, FTR.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I feel Zaheer, Munaf and Sreesanth shouldn't be in the Indian Wheel of Mediocrity. :ph34r:
Zaheer Khan is not a mediocre bowler? He who averages a mighty 35 after playing 47 matches?

Munaf? Ah...the guy who breaks down while taking a stroll from the pavilion to the pitch? And randomly decides he doesn't want to bowl? And has the stamina of a seventy six year old?

Sreesanth? One good series and people annoint him the savior, but he wasn't even consistent in that series. He had some nice bursts but remember in WI when he couldn't even make it to his crease? A Test quality bowler does not break down like that, especially considering it wasn't physical problems that he was having. That's some major mental issues that have to be worked out right there.

Last edited:

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'll echo to what a lot of other people said, basically, I'll raise my bat if I ever get to a 100 in the middle.
When I'm walking off, even if I get a GD, then I'll acknowledge the spectators who clap.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Zaheer Khan is not a mediocre bowler? He who averages a mighty 35 after playing 47 matches?

Munaf? Ah...the guy who breaks down while taking a stroll from the pavilion to the pitch? And randomly decides he doesn't want to bowl? And has the stamina of a seventy six year old?

Sreesanth? One good series and people annoint him the savior, but he wasn't even consistent in that series. He had some nice bursts but remember in WI when he couldn't even make it to his crease? A Test quality bowler does not break down like that, especially considering it wasn't physical problems that he was having. That's some major mental issues that have to be worked out right there.
These seamers all may be pretty average but there still miles better than the likes of Balaji, Nehra, Agarkar, VRV, RP etc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
These seamers all may be pretty average but there still miles better than the likes of Balaji, Nehra, Agarkar, VRV, RP etc.
Well, yeah, but that's his point. India pick a seemingly endless number of mediocre (or worse) seamers only to be dissapointed every time. There's little doubt that Sreesanth, Munaf and Zaheer are the best of the bunch at the moment, but they are still all mediocre (even if less so than the rest at this point in time..).

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, yeah, but that's his point. India pick a seemingly endless number of mediocre (or worse) seamers only to be dissapointed every time. There's little doubt that Sreesanth, Munaf and Zaheer are the best of the bunch at the moment, but they are still all mediocre (even if less so than the rest at this point in time..).
Yup, exactly. Being the best of a bad bunch doesn't make you good.