• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

(Slightly late) CW Awards for 13th-20th May

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You can roll your eyes as much as you want - I don't think you fully appreciated what I was saying.
1) Yep, I can roll my eyes as much as I want.
2) I got what you said.
3) It is pretty clear you missed the point completely.
4) 8-).

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I know that, but I have assumed a high-ranking position in the Panel, so therefore it's inevitable that some things will be about me.
I sincerely hope that that comment is in jest.

In case it isn't, you do realise that these are unofficial knock around awards on a thread that mean nothing, right? Just a bit of light relief and interest

When I first asked not to be considered for any awards (way before you joined the panel) it was primarily because I didnt like the idea of peers taking a role of judging each other and having a higher importance than others and passing comment on what they wrote. It implied a level of seniority.

At the time I was assured that I was wrong and that it was just a bit of fun.

Looks like I might be right after all. There is no such thing as a high ranking member of the panel. You (and the rest) are just forum members. No more, no less.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The bit about "high-ranking position in the panel" wasn't 100% serious, no.

I do, though, rather like to compare the awards to the CW XI (which I presume you're fairly familiar with). Yes, we all know that at the end of the day it's just posts on a forum, but we also like to, shall we say, pretend to take them as a genuine article. The Awards Panel are, in reality, nothing more than posters on a forum, but it's rather more fun to treat us as Oscars Judges.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I sincerely hope that that comment is in jest.

In case it isn't, you do realise that these are unofficial knock around awards on a thread that mean nothing, right? Just a bit of light relief and interest

When I first asked not to be considered for any awards (way before you joined the panel) it was primarily because I didnt like the idea of peers taking a role of judging each other and having a higher importance than others and passing comment on what they wrote. It implied a level of seniority.

At the time I was assured that I was wrong and that it was just a bit of fun.

Looks like I might be right after all. There is no such thing as a high ranking member of the panel. You (and the rest) are just forum members. No more, no less.
Well said Goughy. Putting his high headed comment in it's right place.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1) Yep, I can roll my eyes as much as I want.
2) I got what you said.
3) It is pretty clear you missed the point completely.
I don't think I did. I was not bigging myself up, simply stating a fact. It is unavoidable that, given I'm an awards-judge, there is going to be stuff said about me - including by myself. And my position is going to be discussed.

I'm well aware that not everything is about me - purely and simply, however, I must partake in discussion of myself.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I don't think I did. I was not bigging myself up, simply stating a fact. It is unavoidable that, given I'm an awards-judge, there is going to be stuff said about me - including by myself. And my position is going to be discussed.

I'm well aware that not everything is about me - purely and simply, however, I must partake in discussion of myself.
Dire.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No, it was not. You did not make the comment, therefore you do not know what was meant by it as well as I do.
This is the argument you gave for the Prior thing as well. Silly. Either you should be able to communicate properly or, if you cannot, you should not bother. I do not doubt your communicating skills. Which is why I am 100% sure you just back tracked both times. Silly.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
but it's rather more fun to treat us as Oscars Judges.
Why would I do that? Especially considering the panel in the past has included Aussie Dominance (Rodgie) and potentially others I may not really care to be judged by.

I dont get why you would think that you are somehow as important as an 'Oscars Judge' and lay judgement on those lesser souls on the forum.

pfft!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Why would I do that? Especially considering the panel in the past has included Aussie Dominance (Rodgie) and potentially others I may not really care to be judged by.

I dont get why you would think that you are somehow as important as an 'Oscars Judge' and lay judgement on those lesser souls on the forum.

pfft!
Is Teazers shut or something?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

pfft!
I DON'T!!!!!!!! FFS, this is ridiculous. Did I not quite clearly state that at the end of the day we all know perfectly well that the awards are nothing more than a bit of fun, and that we only pretend to take them as Oscars because it makes them more enjoyable?

I think this is most certainly a repeat of The Pitt Affair.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This is the argument you gave for the Prior thing as well. Silly. Either you should be able to communicate properly or, if you cannot, you should not bother. I do not doubt your communicating skills. Which is why I am 100% sure you just back tracked both times. Silly.
So you honestly think I was vastly overestimating my own importance? Or being stupid enough to make a comment that obviously had the potential to make me look very silly indeed - in a matter of minutes - had I meant it 100%?

I really did think you knew me better than that.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Hmm, wouldn't the second post have been the time to mention it was in jest, not later, when it seemed opinion was going against you.
Did it occur to you that I didn't realise the true gravity of the situation at that point?

It's only with Kev's post that I've realised how stupidly, absurdly, ridiculously overblown this thing is.

Those who have long-term grudges against me, naturally, might take this opportunity... mentioning no names...

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
To clarify my position. I dont like the awards as I dont like forum peers taking it upon themselves to judge their equals. Especially as I mentioned that there have been people of dubious merit on the panel.

I dont like how it puts certain people in an unofficial higher standing than others.

Now Im obviously in a minority in this belief so Ive have no big beef with the awards as most people like them and I can just (and have )asked not to be considered. Fair to say the vast majority still enjoy the weekly awards.

So whilst my own issue is more with the nature of the awards than Richard, the fact that Richard seems (whether true or not) to be taking it more seriously than others makes it look like he has assumed a position of authority and standing on the forums over and above other members.

This just feeds into why I personally dont like the awards. Thats just me though, Im not asking for them to stop or anything else as silly as that

Last edited: