• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

poll

how would you rate irelands world cup preformance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
jammay123, PhoenixFire, shortpitched713 justify yourselves on voting overhyped! :p but seriously how they can you say they are overhyped? They weren't even hyped to do anything is this world cup. No one unless they pay attention to the associate cricket even knew much about Irish cricket. The only "hyped" teams to pull something this tournamet was bangladesh and kenya but still those weren't given much of a chance still. So definitely not overhyped. Overhype=India and to some extent pakistan. Brilliant in my honest opionion for a team of ametures.
i totally agree and richard get a life all i wanna do is talk bout cricket if you wanna criticize go to another thread

headhunter

International Vice-Captain
i think the pakistan vs ireland game was match fixed, i think the draw against zimbabwe was deserved, but i think the win against bangladesh was a fluke, they shouldnt be in the proper odi rankings, they dont deserve to be, and wont even play a game untill next world cup against a big team
oh come on what differance is it to you anyway if they are in proper rankings and match fixing? :dry:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
scotland?
Yeah. Poker Boy said this:

You have to say good. IMO only the three semi-finalists totlaay humilated them and for a bunch of amatuers to kep going in the Super Eights at a level they are not used to was a credit. They played to the limit of their ability - unlike some we can think of?
& as he's Scottish & they had their arses handed to them by Oz, SA and Holland.... :ph34r:

1-9-7-7

International Regular
it's only for Friends Provident Trophy though, he can't play for Ireland at international level.
Serious?
Ah damn.
I think he'll do well in the irish squad.

We did well in the world cup...
But we're being HAMMERED in the Friends Providence Trophy.

reptillia

School Boy/Girl Captain
As far as I'm concerned, Irish players are as much "us" as anyone else from The British Isles.
By the way "Richard" if you walked into a bar in the middle of Dublin, and made that statement, you'd probably get the **** kicked out of you

1-9-7-7

International Regular
By the way "Richard" if you walked into a bar in the middle of Dublin, and made that statement, you'd probably get the **** kicked out of you
If you go into any place like Temple Bar in Dublin you'd get the **** kicked outta you:laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
For m personally Ireland were the real and only shining light in a gloomy world cup. Everything about them and their cricket was a joy to behold. The results like beating Pakistan and then the giant slaying Bangladeshis was a bonus. I loved them and rejoiced with them. Strange because before this world cup I had no feeling of any type for Irish cricket.

The players and, even more than them, their supporters, brought a jois de vivre that was lovely to see and one felt drawn it. You felt like joining them in the crowd. They were brilliant not just in their cricket but in what they brought to the world cup.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
no that's not how i was looking at the analogy. you said "Except that there's no stopping the natural cricketing processes." Well if it was going by natural slavery ways than we'd still have slavery because lets face it to the people in the south slavery was natural, it was life. But it had to come to an end. And so does Irish people representing England and Wales. And just to get it cleared If Scotland and Ireland was encouraged by the ICC to separate why wasn't Wales or the West Indies? It's the fact that they seperated themselves.
It's very possible to argue that slavery coming to an end was natural - human intelligence and moral awareness has increased down the centuries and millennia and that was a part of it - one of the most important, indeed.

Definition of sporting teams, however, has precisely 0 relation to such a thing. There is no reason why Irish people reprisenting the team of the ECB has to stop, and nor should there be.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Irish players are as much "yours" as anyone from any other nation.
Players do not belong. The Irish are as much our kit and kin as anyone else from The British Isles.

As, of course, is a South African who wants to play for us, but that's a slightly different matter so far as relocation is concerned, due to the geography of the situation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If you go into any place like Temple Bar in Dublin you'd get the **** kicked outta you:laugh:
great comment
Hahahaha. So it'd be better to walk in and say "all you Irish ****s are outlaws, fiends, rogues, scoundrels and basically in no way fit whatsoever to mingle with us Brits"?

I think not, somehow.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
It's very possible to argue that slavery coming to an end was natural - human intelligence and moral awareness has increased down the centuries and millennia and that was a part of it - one of the most important, indeed.

Definition of sporting teams, however, has precisely 0 relation to such a thing. There is no reason why Irish people reprisenting the team of the ECB has to stop, and nor should there be.
Players do not belong. The Irish are as much our kit and kin as anyone else from The British Isles.

As, of course, is a South African who wants to play for us, but that's a slightly different matter so far as relocation is concerned, due to the geography of the situation.
really because when i looked at the encyclopedia article it said the english cricket team represents England and Wales not the British Isles. And if I go and look at Ireland, I don't think it would say anything about it being part of the British Isles(not northern Ireland).

BoyBrumby

Englishman
really because when i looked at the encyclopedia article it said the english cricket team represents England and Wales not the British Isles. And if I go and look at Ireland, I don't think it would say anything about it being part of the British Isles(not northern Ireland).
Strictly speaking Ireland is part of the British Isles because that term is a geographical rather than a political one. Eire (the Republic of Ireland) is not part of the UK (or the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland to give it its full title) tho as it's a seperate country.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The ECB reprisents England and Wales. In reality, however, the cricket team has historically always been reprisentative of The British Isles. Ireland, as DB mentions, IS part of The British Isles, though not Britain or The United Kingdom. But the team has never had anything to do with either GBR or The UK.