• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

poll

how would you rate irelands world cup preformance?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Using the IRA to try and prove a rational point, eh Hakon?
No, just having a bit of a laugh. Besides, it's not only the IRA who moan about that usage. The Irish ambassador "discourages" that term.

Given all the history, it's really, really ridiculous to expect people in Ireland to get interested and play a sport where their national team is called "England". Whereas things such as this suggests there's a fair few more people playing cricket in Ireland due to this success - and why that is a bad thing I can not comprehend. Surely one of the goals of a sporting body must be to get as many people as possible to play it?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If the Irish really know that the team, regardless of it's name, is as much theirs as it is the English's, it's not a problem. There has never been any barrier to Irishmen playing for England, until recently.

The history is just that - history. England and Ireland are no longer at loggerheads, with everyone in both countries raged against the other. If anything it should be less of an obsticle now than it ever was.

The way some people paint it all Irish are bigots and anti-English nutcases, and I don't really like it, TBH. I know a good few Irish lads and there's absolutely no more of a rivalry than that between those of Yorkshire and Lancashire.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Given all the history, it's really, really ridiculous to expect people in Ireland to get interested and play a sport where their national team is called "England".
But their national team is called Ireland, not England.

If that weren't the case they'd not have to qualify for England...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They never had to before I$C$C decided it'd make them look better to treat Ireland as a new country.

pup11

International Coach
But if all the talented Irish players keep on migrating to England then how would Irish cricket develop itself.

Is there no way of stopping this migration of Irish players?

Piper

International Captain
When I heard that Ireland were even in the World Cup I was like ''how?'' I didn't even know they played cricket. But to get the the Super 8 would be awesome for them. I think they played well, although they didn't have a lot of pressure on them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But if all the talented Irish players keep on migrating to England then how would Irish cricket develop itself.

There's no need, it's perfectly natural. They're not migrating, anyway, just commuting.

Cricket in Ireland can improve in strenght without them having a side separate from England.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
They never had to before I$C$C decided it'd make them look better to treat Ireland as a new country.
ICC didn't decide to make them a new team or to separate from England. They did it on their own. And if they wanted to do that and like you said encourage Ireland & Scotland to separate why didn't they encourage Wales to become a separate team too, or what about the windies or Ireland and Northern Ireland like in soccer?

LA ICE-E

State Captain

yeah, easy solution would be money. but they don't have it yet. they need to get a domestic system going and then in about ten years(hopefully) when they qualify for test status, the migration will naturally stop.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
There's no need, it's perfectly natural. They're not migrating, anyway, just commuting.

Cricket in Ireland can improve in strenght without them having a side separate from England.
than how come it didn't improve for this long since they have been playing for England? seriously you think Irish would want to play for England had their own team had test status?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Strictly speaking Ireland is part of the British Isles because that term is a geographical rather than a political one. Eire (the Republic of Ireland) is not part of the UK (or the United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland to give it its full title) tho as it's a seperate country.
Yeah, as Hakon said though, the term "British isles" in ireland is only ever used to describe the UK. They don't consider themselves part of anything "british" tbh

Probably similar to calling Cote D'Ivoire Ivory Coast in a roundabout way

In this country though, it does include Ireland, so even though it's a geographical term, it is still a debatable one

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
than how come it didn't improve for this long since they have been playing for England? seriously you think Irish would want to play for England had their own team had test status?
You think Yorkshiremen would want to play for England if their own team had Test status?

'Cos if you do, you're wrong.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ICC didn't decide to make them a new team or to separate from England. They did it on their own. And if they wanted to do that and like you said encourage Ireland & Scotland to separate why didn't they encourage Wales to become a separate team too, or what about the windies or Ireland and Northern Ireland like in soccer?
I$C$C quite clearly have a desire to make the game appear more Global, and by splitting-up one country into 3 (which they have tried to make it appear as though they've done) they can make it look so.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
I$C$C quite clearly have a desire to make the game appear more Global, and by splitting-up one country into 3 (which they have tried to make it appear as though they've done) they can make it look so.
why didn't the split it into more is the question? 'cause using you way they could have seperated it and made it look even more. Why didn't they? 'cause those teams seperated themselves.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No, but the UK and the Republic of Ireland are two separate countries
Oh indeed, but the Republic of Ireland doesn't compete as its own side - Ireland takes players from Northern Ireland as well.

My point was though, the fact the Yorkshire is not a country has little bearing on the debate at hand, because England is not a country either. Neither is Scotland, or Ireland (in the sense of the entirity of Ireland - which the cricket team claims). England is part of a country, much in the same way Yorkshire is.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I can see where you're coming from, but it's a tad on the pedantic side don't you think?