• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Garry Sobers-A master of black magic?

shortpitched713

International Captain
If I misunderstood you and you were saying that David Gower was at one point ranked in the top 5-10 of all time then fair enough, I disagree with that just as you do.
Hes ranked number 5 or 6 in the all time ICC Rankings for ODIs.

Edit: Hes actually ranked number 4.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
WTF? Seriously? I've always said I give such ranking systems little credibility, but even the most absurd one I'd not imagine would come-up with that. :blink:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Hes rated number 5 or 6 in the all time ICC Rankings for ODIs.
Ah well if it's all time then that does seem strange indeed. Then again, some players just have amazing bursts of form that gives them single peak rating higher than their historical reputation would suggest.

I enjoy the ICC ratings and the discussions they inspire, but I don't take them particularly seriously - to me, more relevant than those single "peak" ratings is a view of how their rating help up (or didn't) across a period of time.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
WTF? Seriously? I've always said I give such ranking systems little credibility, but even the most absurd one I'd not imagine would come-up with that. :blink:
I can only assume that, if it's true, then Gower achieved it very briefy around 1983 after a batch of outstanding innings in against Aus & NZ that winter. Beyond that, as you know, he was never keen on or very successful in the oneday game.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Ah well if it's all time then that does seem strange indeed. Then again, some players just have amazing bursts of form that gives them single peak rating higher than their historical reputation would suggest.

I enjoy the ICC ratings and the discussions they inspire, but I don't take them particularly seriously - to me, more relevant than those single "peak" ratings is a view of how their rating help up (or didn't) across a period of time.
Agree with you there. Feel that something like an average rating over a career would be a better indicator, but have never quite figured out how to turn a ratings graph like this one into an average rating. :unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, he was quite some player that James Adams at one point. Such a shame he never went on with things.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
For those who have followed the game for the last 15 years or so,

Garry Sobers = Sachin Tendulkar's batting + Zaheer Khan's pace bowling + Daniel Vettori's spin bowling + Mark Waugh's catching + Mohammad Azharuddin's ground fielding + Shane Warne's captaincy

Don't know black magic or what, but magical indeed!

And, to reiterate what I've said many-a-times here: Garry Sobers wasn't the most rounded alrounder (Keith Miller was). But Sobers was the best player among all the alrounders, if you know what I mean.

Last edited:

Maximus0723

State Regular
For those who have followed the game for the last 15 years or so,

Garry Sobers = Sachin Tendulkar's batting + Zaheer Khan's pace bowling + Daniel Vettori's spin bowling + Mark Waugh's catching + Mohammad Azharuddin's ground fielding + Shane Warne's captaincy

Don't know black magic or what, but magical indeed!

And, to reiterate what I've said many-a-times here: Garry Sobers wasn't the most rounded alrounder (Keith Miller was). But Sobers was the best player among all the alrounders, if you know what I mean.
Going with your analogies, Sobers didn't bat like Tendulkar.

Maximus0723

State Regular
No. This is not about who was a better batsman but about who was Sobers batting like in terms of his style of play and technique.

Weren't the analogies about that?
Captancy like Warne, Catching like Waugh, Fielding like Azar, Bowling like Zaheer/Vettori?