Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Zimbabweans barred from playing in england

International Vice-Captain

Zimbabweans barred from playing in england

Board blocks lucrative deals

Zimbabwe players barred from English club cricket

Cricinfo staff

March 27, 2007

Zimbabwe's national cricketers who arrived back home after their early exit from the World Cup, have been told by the board that they cannot join English clubs during the summer.

Several players told CricInfo that they have been told that they cannot take time off to play club cricket in England, as has been the norm in recent years, because of their contractual agreements. They usually take unpaid leave during the Zimbabwe winter to play club cricket in a bid to improve their game and earn good money.

The players signed new contracts just before their departure for the Caribbean, with clauses which stated that they would not play club cricket overseas. At the time, several complained they were given little time to read or consider the terms on offer.

However, they admitted that ZC managing director Ozias Bvute made it clear to them that they would not be allowed to play club cricket in England. In return, the board promised to pay the players money from the World Cup in foreign currency. It is believed ZC made the players sign new contracts as they feared for a mass exodus of players.

"We have been told that we cannot play club cricket in England," one played told Cricinfo. "They have also told us that we will only get our World Cup money in June, I only made US$8000 from the World Cup so I would rather lose that money and get better money playing club cricket in England."

Zimbabwe Cricket, which is widely reported to be seriously short of cash, has a poor record of paying players, and several - including Heath Streak, Tatenda Taibu and Andy Blignaut - have been owed tens of thousands of dollars for more than 18 months.

CricInfo has it on good authority that a number of the players have been offered contracts by English clubs and are in a dilemma as to whether they will take them up. If they do, then they will lose all their World Cup earnings as ZC will in all likelihood withhold the money for breach of contract. The alternative is to remain in Zimbabwe, where employment outside cricket is almost impossible, and wait and hope that the board sticks to its promises.

The players have no representative body since Clive Field, who acted on their behalf, resigned more than a year ago after the board refused to recognise his role
    Joel 2:28
    "And it shall come to pass afterward
    That i will pour out my spirit on all flesh
    Your sons and daughters will prophesy
    Your old men will dream dreams
    Your young men will see visions
    And also on my menservants and my maidserveants
    I will pour out my spirit in those days.

The one, the only CW Black
    Code:
    47.3 W Coppinger to Heads 
        Smacked the ball straight into the groin of Iwuajoku who has fallen over, 
        miraculously with the ball still caught in his scrotal area! Out!

Most misleading thread title.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Yeah, was thinking that.

Oh, well - no great news, TBH. That Board long since ceased to be capable of being any more ****tish than it already is.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I don't understand to what extent this board wants to destroy Zim cricket?

If players can play in England that would definitely help them to raise the standard. This is really a stupid move.
    I am with Bangladesh, whether they win or lose .

the overseas player from my club side last season was asked to play in the zimbabwe build up to the world cup, with a view to going to the windies. He did suffer with a shoulder injury for part of last season so possibly didn't see the best of him, but all in all was no great shakes. except his 150* in a friendly. anyways, he has told me that the whole cricketing infrastructure in zim is a joke and should be obliterated and started again (or words to those effects)
    Proud to be a Colt!

M Hopgood: Followed up his debut century with a half century. Most likely the most impressive begin to a List A career by a Colts batsman in their history. In fantastic form at the moment, and will look to transfer that form into the first class arena. 8/10

so in essence what i am trying to say is Zim players do come over to get away from Zim cricket! and to earn extra bucks. (in all fairness i dont think the political position they are in as a nation provides much stability for anything in Zim)

Pinball Champion!
    Cool, hopefully we'll have more good Zimbos come to SA then.. Or have they been banned from everywhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Vice-Captain
    The zcu are scared players will play in england and leave zimbabwe cricket.
    With this rule players will play in england and leave zimbabwe cricket.
    There is no financial reason stopping zimbabwe players going over to england.
    They have made a rod for their back the zcu and further players will quit zimbabwe cricket.
    I just think the zcu has gone mad,it was bad enough they made their black players cut their locks off this is rediculous.
    I see little hope zimbabwe getting tests back or playing many one dayers,who would invite zimbabwe even ireland is better performed.
    I don't see australia or england playing them in the future with their politcal problems.
    Really this is a restriction of trade would not stand up in court.

Pinball Champion!
    Lots goes on in Zimbabwe that wouldn't stand up in court..

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Lots goes on in Zimbabwe that wouldn't stand up in court..
    Depends whose court...
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miraz View Post
    I don't understand to what extent this board wants to destroy Zim cricket?

If players can play in England that would definitely help them to raise the standard. This is really a stupid move.
    The ZCU aren't and haven't been for many years concerned with the welfare of the cricket, they're just political players who are by-and-large selfish.

pretty stupid move, because that would make the players even better...

Are their any 3rd divison South African Club Sides that they can play for?

Quote Originally Posted by cricman View Post
    Are their any 3rd divison South African Club Sides that they can play for?
    Not for money. Most top SA club sides that contain mainly FC players are amateurs. There isnt the culture of paying players for club cricket like in the UK.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information