• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I feel Sorry for India's cricketers - Kumar Sangakarra

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
What do you suppose they should do to 'change this culture'?
To be honest, I can't give you a blueprint to success. But as I said, I see the Indian side more active in gaining money for their fame than securing their safety and the sanity of a nation.

Instead of a Pepsi ad how about a public announcement where the whole team, plus the government, start shunning this behaviour and attempting to instill the proper culture of how a fan should be. Articles and news reports that address the articles for change, rather than just reporting sensational news.

You're a smart lad, I think you know what I am saying here.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
How is he going overboard? The same as you are.
Condemning the people who make death threats and go around attacking players' homes is "going overboard" now? 8-)

The only criticism I can make of the team is that I haven't seen the Indian players, or people in charge, give as much credence in trying to turn this cricketing culture around as opposed to profiting from it's fanatic following.

How this got turned into me condoning/equating their actions the lord knows.

If anything, I am trying to say that by not doing enough to change this culture, they're passively being apart of this machine.
Haha what? What are the players/officials meant to do exactly? It's ridiculous to say that because they do the ads/interviews/etc, they're essentially bringing this upon themselves. These idiots are breaking the law! Once that line is crossed, there's no justification whatsoever, no matter what the Indian players/management are doing in terms of endorsements or earnings.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
To be honest, I can't give you a blueprint to success. But as I said, I see the Indian side more active in gaining money for their fame than securing their safety and the sanity of a nation.

Instead of a Pepsi ad how about a public announcement where the whole team, plus the government start shunning this behaviour. Articles and news reports that address the articles for change, rather than just reporting sensational news.

You're a smart lad, I think you know what I am saying here.
Um, but they do. And every time they say something, certain people accuse them of whining and say because they get paid so much, they should do more like come out in public and 'shun the behavior'. SO they come out in public say something, and then certain people accuse them of whining and say that ....

Get it?

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You ever see Liverpool play a football match? Whether they win or lose their fans are behind them and they sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" as their team is behind - and less importantly when they're in front. Mind you, Liverpool is also the most decorated side in England, as well as one of the best sides in the world and they have plenty of pressure to win a league title after almost two decades.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
You ever see Liverpool play a football match? Whether they win or lose their fans are behind them and they sing "You'll Never Walk Alone" as their team is behind - and less importantly when they're in front. Mind you, Liverpool is also the most decorated side in England, as well as one of the best sides in the world and they have plenty of pressure to win a league title after almost two decades.
And.......?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I'm not really sure why money has anything to do with it. Having death threats issued against you or your family is unacceptable, whether you get paid £20 a week, or £20,000,000 a week. Money has no bearing.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Condemning the people who make death threats and go around attacking players' homes is "going overboard" now? 8-)
No you tit. Trying to imply as if I am condining it is going overboard. You don't need to lecture me.

Haha what? What are the players/officials meant to do exactly? It's ridiculous to say that because they do the ads/interviews/etc, they're essentially bringing this upon themselves. These idiots are breaking the law! Once that line is crossed, there's no justification whatsoever, no matter what the Indian players/management are doing in terms of endorsements or earnings.
LOL, I hope the BCCI are a bit more imaginative than you. Unfortunately, the world doesn't revolve on an idealistic basis. People do wrong things KNOWING it's wrong. The problem is not just addressing it, it's curbing it. It isn't about justifying it, it's about changing it. Gee...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not really sure why money has anything to do with it. Having death threats issued against you or your family is unacceptable, whether you get paid £20 a week, or £20,000,000 a week. Money has no bearing.
Money is one result of all this fame and all this fanaticism, the other result is this destructive culture.

The only difference between the two is the end result, the machine that fuels both is, however, the same.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Money is one result of all this fame and all this fanaticism, the other result is this destructive culture.

The only difference between the two is the end result, the machine that fuels both is, however, the same.
How do you figure that? They are famous because they are incredibly talented cricketers, not well paid.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Wrong. Players in US sports get paid a lot of money, and you yourself said Liverpool players (who I assume get paid a lot) are better treated.

So basically you just contradicted yourself there. It's not the money then, is it? It's just the idiot fans.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
And.......?
And what?

You didn't get the point I was making?

The Liverpool fans are die hard football fans. You ever heard of Heysel?

Right now, these are probably the best fans in the world. Whether their team wins or loses they have a very good outlook on things. Always supportive, even in loss. And it's not because of lack of expectation. Why I mention this team is to exemplify how a good team can have good fans and still be popular and famous and successful.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
LOL, I hope the BCCI are a bit more imaginative than you. Unfortunately, the world doesn't revolve on an idealistic basis. People do wrong things KNOWING it's wrong. The problem is not just addressing it, it's curbing it. It isn't about justifying it, it's about changing it. Gee...
Anything relevant in that comment, other than to take potshots at me (again)? I didn't say anything about what I do, I commented on the sheer absurdity of your line of reasoning.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And what?

You didn't get the point I was making?

The Liverpool fans are die hard football fans. You ever heard of Heysel?

Right now, these are probably the best fans in the world. Whether their team wins or loses they have a very good outlook on things. Always supportive, even in loss. And it's not because of lack of expectation. Why I mention this team is to exemplify how a good team can have good fans and still be popular and famous and successful.
You just proved my point there. Liverpool players get paid a lot of money, and have diehard fans, and yet don't have to suffer, its really the fans who are out of line in India and nothing to do with money or the players in India, right??

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Wrong. Players in US sports get paid a lot of money, and you yourself said Liverpool players (who I assume get paid a lot) are better treated.

So basically you just contradicted yourself there. It's not the money then, is it? It's just the idiot fans.
No, basically you have a simple grasp on things mate.

I didn't say they needed to take the money out from the sport to start becoming civilised. That actually isn't the point.

It's like comparing a hydro-powered car and one that uses petrol. They both meet the same end, yet one is polluting the environment and the other isn't.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Anything relevant in that comment, other than to take potshots at me (again)? I didn't say anything about what I do, I commented on the sheer absurdity of your line of reasoning.
No you didn't. You were putting words in my mouth, and that was overboard. Not even a question as to my reasoning, just a straight judgment. Taking shots? Sure, you weren't.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
You just proved my point there. Liverpool players get paid a lot of money, and have diehard fans, and yet don't have to suffer, its really the fans who are out of line in India and nothing to do with money or the players in India, right??
Read the latest reply, you keep missing the point.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No, basically you have a simple grasp on things mate.

I didn't say they needed to take the money out from the sport to start becoming civilised. That actually isn't the point.

It's like using an hydro-powered car and one that uses petrol. They both meet the same end, yet one is polluting the environment.
So then it's not the money. So why did you even mention it in the first place?

KaZoH0lic said:
I bet they weren't sorry when they were cashing up on their fame by doing interviews and commercials.
KaZoH0lic said:
When you're taking millions and millions of dollars in sponsorship money, or giving interviews that pay $1000 a minute then you should be realising there that this is not particularly normal - especially in Cricket.
KaZoH0lic said:
They aren't just highly paid professionals. In comparison with their colleagues from other countries, they are ridiculously highly paid professionals. Who also have ridiculous fans who do ridiculous things. When you do ads/interviews you're fueling the same machine that will serve a backlash on you.
So, does it have anything to do with the money or not? In that third post, you said that when they do ads and interviews 'they are fueling' the reaction. Liverpool players don't do ads or interviews then? How come their ads or interviews don't fuel the reaction?

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
How do you figure that? They are famous because they are incredibly talented cricketers, not well paid.
It kinda wouldn't matter if they were incredibly talented or not. They wouldn't be rich unless the sport was popular.