• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will greg leave? If so, then whose next?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
that's why i said "always"....a good delivery doesn't automatically mean that the batsman will always get out...good batsmen especially someone with such a solid technique as tendulkar should be able to ward off a few of them
And he did IMO. I don't think you can ever criticise a batsman who gets out to a good ball. Because there are always a fair few of them bowled at you - some you survive, some you manage through good batsmanship to play, some get you out.

It's only when you get yourself out that criticism can be aimed your way from where I'm coming from.

Hamilton B

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I love this question. Since 2004, he has played 19 innings outside of India and chased.

Remove subcontinent teams and minnows, and that's 12 more gone. So basically you want to judge a player on 7 out of 60+ innings that he has played.
I guess asking for a few from a great player was too much :sleep:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
And he did IMO. I don't think you can ever criticise a batsman who gets out to a good ball. Because there are always a fair few of them bowled at you - some you survive, some you manage through good batsmanship to play, some get you out.

It's only when you get yourself out that criticism can be aimed your way from where I'm coming from.
have you seen batsmen play great innings(long innings) under great pressure against quality bowling? i am sure you have...i am sure you have seen tendulkar do that, is that because they get very few "good" deliveries to play at? in a key game, under extra pressure, you expect that extra focus from your special players, simply put, you expect them to fight it out...he did not, in this world cup and "good deliveries" is not a good enough excuse for a player of his calibre in my opinion....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes, I've seen many occasions where a good player survived any number of good deliveries in the course of a long innings. But certainly the one from Fernando (haven't seen the other one) was one I'd not back too many batsmen to play too often. Pretty much one of those RUDs I've always talked about.

Yes, you'd imagine he'd have been trying that bit harder due to it being a WC, but trying harder doesn't automatically = playing better. You can't just choose to play better because the magnitude of the situation is greater.

As I say - I think you could be batting almost as well as you want, most of the time that delivery would still get you. I can't over-criticise him for it myself.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
it's quite simple and this is not an overstatement in any way, in key matches, you expect your best players to step up and when they do not, it's a failure on their part simple as...i can understand bad luck due to a wrong umpiring decision, i can even understand the absolutely unplayable ball(a ball that shoots through at ankle level, an inswinging yorker in wildly swinging conditions etc etc...), but you've got to expect the most experienced one day batsman ever to know a thing or two about countering good deliveries....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just because it didn't shoot through low it was still a hell of a ball - it came back sharply on a full length at a good pace. That's not the easiest ball to cope with. I'd expect it to get a right-hander out far, far more often than not.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Just because it didn't shoot through low it was still a hell of a ball - it came back sharply on a full length at a good pace. That's not the easiest ball to cope with. I'd expect it to get a right-hander out far, far more often than not.
once again you are missing the point, never said it wasn't a good delivery, never said it didn't deserve a wicket....but i don't want to repeat myself anymore....:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Look - what I'm saying is that I don't think many batsmen would have survived said ball. Therefore I don't think getting out to it was a hell of a big crime. He might have survived it every now and then, no more.

Probably just agree to disagree - I guess I probably think it was a bit better delivery than you do.

OK? :)

maheshprasad

Cricket Spectator
as he is a shameless fellow he is not going to take the responsibility for the loss(dravid did so) nor is he going to leave India unless fired.He shouldn't have come as the Indian coach.Hail John wright,you werw the best coach India had and bring him back if possible.That is the best India can do.I hate Chappell

maheshprasad

Cricket Spectator
Tendulkar has NOT been in excellent form in one-day cricket but his case for selection is still relatively strong. By the way, the deliveries from Razzak and Fernando were very good but not jaffas. In test cricket, he is hanging by a thread.
He is not out of form.He has scored a century against Lanka from 72 balls the last month.Then how can you say that he is out of form

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As usual Goughy has been so objective about Greg Chappell's Performance as India's Coach in last 2 years. Yeah man it is the fault of Indian Public that Indian Players were so pathetically coached. Before coming to India, Chappell's record as a Coach was really exemplary.

Did you ever hear the name John Wright ? He Coached India before chappell and took team India to WC finals with same useless fat bunch and same public as their fans.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
When Tendulkar goes out it is always because :-

1. It was the best delivery Or
2. Umpire was biased Or
3. it was an incorrect decision Or
4. He was not fully fit Or
5. He was plain unlucky Or
6. Please feel free to add your favorite pathetic excuse.......

The guy is one of the worst in recent times..the more I watch him and the more his fanatics continue to defend him...the more annoying it has become.

I was watching the India-BD match and one such Tendulkar fanatic was there and he was going all ballistic about how some day Tendulkar is going to bring the 'World Cup' to India on his own and shut all his critics up..and he wouldn't shut up even after India's exit.

His eyes are firmly on the 2011 WC and he is certain that Tendulkar is going to win that cup for India by himself.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
As usual Goughy has been so objective about Greg Chappell's Performance as India's Coach in last 2 years. Yeah man it is the fault of Indian Public that Indian Players were so pathetically coached. Before coming to India, Chappell's record as a Coach was really exemplary.

Did you ever hear the name John Wright ? He Coached India before chappell and took team India to WC finals with same useless fat bunch and same public as their fans.
Two things:

They meat of the batting lineup was four years younger.
The pitches in SA were as flat as you can expect.
He can't insert class into players which none exists

Tendulkar is past his sell-by date, Dravid isn't in the best form. Ganguly is doing well, but none of them are exemplary fielders and Sehwag is a blight on the Indian team.