• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will greg leave? If so, then whose next?

Hamilton B

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
His form in ODIs has been excellent, and a couple of bad innings in the World Cup (where he got good deliveries both times) doesn't change that.
Well, when was the last time Tendulkar scored significantly (in a chase, preferably) in a knock-out game against class opposition?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I can't honestly see why Dravid would be sacked as captain.

Seriously, do India have a realistic alternative to him as captain ? I don't think they do....

His record isn't that bad....ok the World Cup was a massive disappointment but he has a 5-4 win loss record in tests against top 8 opposition and he has played 6 at home and 10 away.

pup11

International Coach
Look Dasa if you just think that Tendulkar is in excellent form just because he scored a quick-fire century against a clueless West Indian attack on a flat track in India then i can't really say much about that.

Tendulkar has been a great player and i am not denying that but whenever it has mattered the most he has failed to do well for India and his consistency is nowhere near to what you expect from a player of his caliber.

pup11

International Coach
India doesn't have a alternate option as a captain, but the thing is Sachin has shown his keen interest towards the job (and in Indian cricket nobody really has a spine to stand up and deny Tendulkar's wish) so don't be suprised if you see him being named the next captain.

Anyways Dravid already said during the press-conference after the SL game that "he was appointed as the captain only till the WC so effectively he isn't the captain atm".

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Well, when was the last time Tendulkar scored significantly (in a chase, preferably) in a knock-out game against class opposition?
First define class opposition...If I name an innings, I have a feeling you'll write it off as being against sub-standard opposition - as pup11 is attempting to do in the post I've quoted below.
Look Dasa if you just think that Tendulkar is in excellent form just because he scored a quick-fire century against a clueless West Indian attack on a flat track in India then i can't really say much about that.
What else can we judge him on? It's not like he scored that 100 and made ducks in every other innings...he's been pretty good, and it took good deliveries to get rid of him in the World Cup.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Outside the subcontinent, top 8 ranked team, knockout situation, preferably chasing.
I don't see why it has to be outside the subcontinent - he's hasn't played much outside the subcontinent in the last few years, because of injuries etc...but anyway, this qualifies.

Hamilton B

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I don't see why it has to be outside the subcontinent - he's hasn't played much outside the subcontinent in the last few years, because of injuries etc...but anyway, this qualifies.
I wouldn't qualify a 65 in 102 balls as a particularly good knock, particularly when Harbhajan scores 37 in 60 and Lara 40 in 48, but passable for the desperate enough, I guess. The reason it has to be outside the subcontinent is because of the tigers at home - lambs abroad syndrome.

pup11

International Coach
I just heard on news that Sandip Patil is the front-runner to be the next Indian coach, he was the former Kenyan coach and he guided them to semis in the last WC.

What do you guys think is this a wise idea to appoint someone like Patil as the Indian coach.

I believe the Indian administrators have had enough of foreign coaches.

adharcric

International Coach
I just heard on news that Sandip Patil is the front-runner to be the next Indian coach, he was the former Kenyan coach and he guided them to semis in the last WC.

What do you guys think is this a wise idea to appoint someone like Patil as the Indian coach.

I believe the Indian administrators have had enough of foreign coaches.
Source?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I wouldn't qualify a 65 in 102 balls as a particularly good knock, particularly when Harbhajan scores 37 in 60 and Lara 40 in 48, but passable for the desperate enough, I guess. The reason it has to be outside the subcontinent is because of the tigers at home - lambs abroad syndrome.
Its not a particularly good knock?

You obviously didn't see the match. Dravid was out in the first over, and the rest of the team barely did anything. Tendulkar never looked like going out on a track doing heaps, and was unluckily run out by backing up and the bowler getting a touch on a straight drive.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FFS, Tests are different game to ODIs. His form in ODIs has been excellent, and a couple of bad innings in the World Cup (where he got good deliveries both times) doesn't change that.
getting out to good deliveries cannot always be an excuse, you know....you do get good deliveries a lot of times, you are expected to survive them and hang on to punish bad deliveries, that's what good batsmen do and do you have any doubt that tendulkar is one? the fact is he failed in this world cup in two matches where he shouldn't have....his form in odis has been patchy at best, to term it excellent would be a big overstatement....he struggled mightily in south africa, hit some reasonable form on the flat tracks at home and then we all saw what happened in the windies....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
india has experimented with a lot of coaches but in my point of view this is what needs to change before they can make significant long-term improvements:

• indian players need to combine talent with proper work-ethic...they should not rely on talent alone to carry them through...fitness and athleticism should be given great importance...
  • they should be more professional(as in tougher, not easily succumbing to pressure, playing to win etc...)..this goes hand-in-hand with the first point...
  • a place in the team should not be taken for granted and should be performance-based...we should immediately stop carrying the number of non-performing players we do right now....
  • selection should be more national and less zonal(or less political)...
  • bcci is the richest cricketing body and in terms of interest and talent pool, we are certainly not lagging behind, but we are definitely not the best in terms of infrastructure...this is an unforgivable state of affairs and corrective measures need to be taken...

a coach can suggest a lot of these and i am sure some of our more professional coaches have done so but unless there is some significant mindset change at an administration level and player level and these things don't happen, i don't see us winning consistently and competing for the top spots in world cricket.....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

I love this question. Since 2004, he has played 19 innings outside of India and chased.

Remove subcontinent teams and minnows, and that's 12 more gone. So basically you want to judge a player on 7 out of 60+ innings that he has played.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
FFS, Tests are different game to ODIs. His form in ODIs has been excellent, and a couple of bad innings in the World Cup (where he got good deliveries both times) doesn't change that.
Sorry, no, this just proves conclusively once again, not that it needs to be proven as the 2 cases that already exist show such a thing 100% conclusively anyway, that Tendulkar is nothing but a choker and as such every single run he's ever scored in every Test and every ODI can be completely discounted. He should retire now and be remembered for the disgrace he clearly was.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I don't really see why not, TBH. You can't survive 'em all.
that's why i said "always"....a good delivery doesn't automatically mean that the batsman will always get out...good batsmen especially someone with such a solid technique as tendulkar should be able to ward off a few of them....and key matches should always bring that extra focus into key batsmen....anyway, my point is that he got out to a good delivery is not really much of an excuse and it seems like i've been hearing that excuse for tendulkar quite a lot these days....

adharcric

International Coach
Tendulkar has NOT been in excellent form in one-day cricket but his case for selection is still relatively strong. By the way, the deliveries from Razzak and Fernando were very good but not jaffas. In test cricket, he is hanging by a thread.

Last edited: