• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Salamuddin's ALL TIme ODI X1

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
  1. Adam Gilchrist
  2. Sachin Tendulkar
  3. Viv Richards
  4. Dean Jones
  5. Brian Lara
  6. Michael Bevan
  7. Lance Klusener
  8. Wasim Akram
  9. Joel Garner
  10. Glenn McGrath
  11. Muttiah Muralitharan

Unlucky: Shane Warne, Shaun Pollock
I'd have Hadlee ahead of Mcgrath to strengthen the batting

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'd have Waqar in that XI. Maybe at the expense of Klusener?
The batting would be too weak then IMO, it's already a little on the weak side. Our #8 only has an average of 16, which is a big drop from 41 at #7. I might actually want to put in Hadlee at #8, drop Akram to #9 and remove McGrath.* SA has shown how important it is, and how much of a help it can be, to bat deep in ODIs.

Don't get your panties in a bunch, I'm only talking about ODI's.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
1) Gilchrist
2) Tendulkar
3) Richards
4) D Jones
5) Lara
6) Bevan
7) Hussey
8) Akram
9) Garner
10) Muralitharan
11) Younis

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Arguably he is with regards to his total worth to a side.
I think there's a strong argument for the worth of Ganguly and Anwar to their respective sides. Just look at how weak the top order looks without those two. The opening position has been problematic for both sides in recent years.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Not referring to Gilchrist's worth to the Australian side, but to this side. The fact that he's a quality opener (although not up to the standard of the other two) and when adding in his wicket-keeping (and SR), to use an Arjun-ism he is a bit more "value-packed".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I honestly believe Ganguly+Anwar-opening+Dhoni-down-the-order is greater than any combo including Gilchrist.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Arguably he is with regards to his total worth to a side.
he can be the 'keeper, that is not the point here, my question is why should he be opener when there are several other candidates who have proven themselves to be better at the job than him?

a massive zebra

International Captain
Gordon Greenidge
Sachin Tendulkar
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Dean Jones
Michael Bevan
Adam Gilchrist+
Richard Hadlee
Curtley Ambrose
Joel Garner
Muttiah Muralitharan

Matt79

Global Moderator
1. Saeed Anwar
2. Sachin Tendulkar
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Brian Lara
5. Inzy
6. Kumar Sangakkara
7. Imran Khan
8. Wasim Akram
9. Saqlain Mushtaq
10. Murali
11. Curtly Ambrose

Now who can match/better that team ? :laugh:
Really think that there are NO Australians in the best XI for ODIs? Strange given they've been to 5 of 8 WC finals (and won 3).

For me:
Gilchrist
Tendulkar
Ponting
Richards
Symonds
Bevan
Kapil Dev
Wasim Akram
Shaun Pollock
Murali
Garner

Warne, McGrath, and Lee all unlucky to miss out - with Hussey and Pietersen on course at the moment to have earnt a spot in a few more years time.

Last edited:

sy88

Cricket Spectator
1/ Adam Gilchrist
2/ Sachin Tendulkar
3/ Ricky Ponting
4/ Viv Richards
5/ Brian Lara
6/ Michael Bevan
7/ Lance Klusener
8/ Richard Hadlee
9/ Wasim Akram
10/ Curtly Ambrose
11/ Muttiah Muralitharan

12th man-Jonty Rhodes (well, if 12th man is included Jonty's a no-brainer)

Don't go swimming in the ocean or a seal could bite your hand off

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Really think that there are NO Australians in the best XI for ODIs? Strange given they've been to 5 of 8 WC finals (and won 3).
I'm guessing Sala wasn't picking the strongest team he could think of...