• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Males banned from watching the women world cup qualifiers in Pakistan

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which is a great shame and I don't deny it.

Trouble is, if there is an abundance of poorly-behaved young lads our age, they cost their well-behaved peers privelages. Like Nichiani has cost us CWers our name-changing with his change-twice-a-week stupidity. 8-) And like the lads at our school cost us our football-playing privelages by trying to play when it was others' designated turn.

Whether or not there's an abundance of said is not something I can comment on and if there are only a tiny number then it is an over-zealous ruling. But I haven't a clue of the context, and the only reports from the place I've had suggest it is indeed the case.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Hi guys, ussually i dont comment on these kind of threads but i see that a few people have genuine concerns about this therefore i will put down my point of view.

1) Would you guys rather want a cricket match to take place without men sitting in the spectators or its better if it doesnt happen at all?

If answer is the first part, then its a good news that Pakistani women are particpating in the world cup for the first time.

Secondly, i think its unfair to critisize somone's culture. I mean watching half nude females in Australia and South Africa is as offending for me, as men not being invited into women's games can be for you. therefore whats a better culture is just a matter of opinion.

Thirdly, I can see how the players will be comfortable with the fact that the chances of getting verbly or even phyically harrassed will be narrowwed down. Even thier partners or parents will be more supporting knowing that it is safer for them to be in the ground.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I don't think this is anyhting to do with us - its a matter for Pakistan and we should respect their decision. Sometimes we in the West are too arrogant - we think everybody in the World should do as we do. I remeber Irish women wer eupset about not being allowed to go toIran in a football WC qualifier and I thought "What arrogance. it's like - we are the West and we are always right. Do what we say." No wonder some Muslims hate us. I just say - let Pakistan do it their way (I don't agree with them but I have no right to force my views on them)

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Poker Boy, that is a well good post. Maybe some award is in order for that

Im nto the man to follow this up either, but what he has just said echoes my thoughts aswell. What gives us the right to say if thats ther ight, or wrong thing to do?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Poker Boy, that is a well good post. Maybe some award is in order for that
I was kinda "nervous with anticipation" to borrow a quote when I spotted that PB had last-post on this thread!

Bearing in mind what I've learnt recently. :laugh:

pasag

RTDAS
Right, this may come close to crossing the line and apologies in advance if I do. But I'd like to know whose culture people are "disrespecting". Is it that of the majority or is it that of a handful in power and that of an older generation? Now I have utmost respect for Islam and Pakistan and I hope I'm not offending anyone, but my question is (and perhaps someone can answer this), is this law representative of the culture on the ground in Pakistan or is it just a case of the few ruling the many?

I also might add that even if it is, I see nothing wrong with being critical of this and certain other things, (whilst at the same time trying to do it in a respectful and tactful manner).

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
Richard,

Gender segregation is, by defintion, ***ism. However, the point to be noted here is that some people divide ***ism into two categories - positive and negative, believing the former to be a necessary characteristic in a cultured society.

Men are allowed in only if they are with 'families': family, in the Pakistani context meaning, women. Hence, a forty year old married 'pervert' can come and watch the game if he brings along his wife but a single guy, or a group of guys, interested in watching the game, or just wanting to come along to support a friend of theirs/team are barred
First of all thank you very much Beleg for producing such an award factory of a thread and secondly no matter what is the argument in favor of Punjabi men peeking at women , all is lame !!!!!!!!! And for the bolded statement I highly respect this law as far as "food street" is concerned or some ladies shopping market (bano bazaar) is concerned .Honestly speaking I myself won't bring the ladies of my family in the markets packed with low lifes and third grade citizens .But again it's all the life grade of one in Pakistan .Some really are shottable e.g. low lifes , Mullahs and disgraceful and illiterate jealous ~!@#s.

FRAZ

International Captain
i think the decision is actually good because i know single men would definatly distract the game, by being vulgar to the women. The lowclass punjabis in pakistan and also in india can be very rude and vulgar to women, and i know there have been incidents before where these women cricketers were ***ually harassed by single men. and the whole reason behind this decision is actually to have more women spectators.
Just shut up ! The best class is the Punjabi class who has been feeding all the skiny !@#$s all over the country and these are only the Punjabis in Pakistan who are not going to rant about the other people living in their cities . low life ugly !@#$s are every where and so are they in Punjab too ...

FRAZ

International Captain
because over here, women know how to behave, unfortunately a lot of men over here don't know how to behave,
I some what agree with this statement . Honestly speaking , this is the reality ... It's not like the cases in Afghanistan or remote areas of Pakistan where Women are treated as hens or goats or some thing . It sure is the case of behaviour . In my family women are on top of every thing . WHen I was a kid I never had a permission to hit any sister and it was like a shottable act in my family . And my stupid sisters had all the right to humiliate me , kick me , hit me and chop my face with nails but I was not allowed to even swear at them... Jeez . May be women are given so much of an extra respect and men are not and this might be the case . Honestly speaking in any decent atmosphere women are on top of men in decision making , home making , fashion etc etc ..........

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Now I have utmost respect for Islam and Pakistan and I hope I'm not offending anyone, but my question is (and perhaps someone can answer this), is this law representative of the culture on the ground in Pakistan or is it just a case of the few ruling the many?

dude, I think 90% of the pakistanis would be happy with this ruling, i would feel better about sending my sister or wife to a cricket match thinking that no group of fun seekers will be there to bother them.
Pakistan is an islamic country and 75% of our population are conservative(not nessecarily religous). People in my country still mistake culture for religon. And people who are suppose to differentiate this are either curropt and using this fault in the society or either they are scared that if they tell people that what they have been doing for centuries is wrong that might backlash.
However, dont be scared Pakistan is a very tolerant nation. We are the best of hosts you will find and but i think its a mis-conception of the west, adopted by the east that religous mean conservative. I know many ultra-religous muslim families who allow women to work and i know many so-called modernised, non religous families who wont let them. Therefore being narow minded has nothing to do with religon. Moreover Islam is the most Modern religon itself. It never bars anyone, male or femlae from having fun until its in a certain set of rules. So if the men in our socities knew how to behave better, this rule would have never been set.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Its a case of taking baby steps. Before it would have been unheard of to even host such an event. Tbh, I was a bit surprised that they allowed the relaxed dress code for the players. Definitely a step in the right direction.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
see SP, in our culture and religon we have no history of omen playing outdoor games, therefore it is dificult for us to provide the guidlines of how to do it within the boundaries of religon. We will only take baby steps for now...but the main thing is to keep a balanced approach...anything more extravagant will be rejected even by moderates like us.

Nishant

International 12th Man
This is something we are just going to have to accept! If its religion...i dont see it changing

But its not just in pakistan.....im not sure abt this and correct me if im wrong....but in india, men and women are not allowed to swim together in public swimming pools.....i know that this is diffrent as watching women playing cricket is different....but segregation of the ***es does occur in more places!

open365

International Vice-Captain
I hate all religions, Islam more so than others, for things like this.

I don't paticulary care if 90% of Pakistan agrees with it, because i'm not saying they should do differently as it's there country and their outdated religion.

I think it's pathetic, i think it's ***ism, and i think it's wrong.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Now I have utmost respect for Islam and Pakistan and I hope I'm not offending anyone, but my question is (and perhaps someone can answer this), is this law representative of the culture on the ground in Pakistan or is it just a case of the few ruling the many?

dude, I think 90% of the pakistanis would be happy with this ruling, i would feel better about sending my sister or wife to a cricket match thinking that no group of fun seekers will be there to bother them.
Pakistan is an islamic country and 75% of our population are conservative(not nessecarily religous). People in my country still mistake culture for religon. And people who are suppose to differentiate this are either curropt and using this fault in the society or either they are scared that if they tell people that what they have been doing for centuries is wrong that might backlash.
However, dont be scared Pakistan is a very tolerant nation. We are the best of hosts you will find and but i think its a mis-conception of the west, adopted by the east that religous mean conservative. I know many ultra-religous muslim families who allow women to work and i know many so-called modernised, non religous families who wont let them. Therefore being narow minded has nothing to do with religon. Moreover Islam is the most Modern religon itself. It never bars anyone, male or femlae from having fun until its in a certain set of rules. So if the men in our socities knew how to behave better, this rule would have never been set.
Rodzilla, gun poster, can he stop the CW slide?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Richard,
Men are allowed in only if they are with 'families': family, in the Pakistani context meaning, women. Hence, a forty year old married 'pervert' can come and watch the game if he brings along his wife but a single guy, or a group of guys, interested in watching the game, or just wanting to come along to support a friend of theirs/team are barred.
Not that I agree with this decision but let's be realistic, there exists no such group of guys (at least in the subcontinet) who are genuinely interested in watching women play cricket.

And men with family are much less likely to misbehave or act inappropriately as opposed to a group of guys.