Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does Ross Taylor rank?

Where does Ross Taylor rank?

In terms of most naturally talented players to play for New Zealand in your time of watching or if possible off all NZ batsmen?

In my time I would say he is up near the top, if he isn't. Perhaps you can add Craig McMillan but he has never had the application to do well at Test level. Stephen Fleming when he is fine touch, but his has been mental in not converting 50's into 100's so he will go down as merely a 'good' player then a world class one he could have been. As for Nathan Astle I always considered him to be on the inconsistent side, not to take away his ability when he was in form.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

yep he really is up there... and there scary thing is hes like 21/22 ? :O

Its early days for him, but he certainly doesn't look out of place at international level.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Very talented, of that there can be no doubt. Not sure where he would rank though, right up there with Craig McMillan as the most talented batsman I have personally seen New Zealand produce.

Fleming and Astle, while two of the best batsman in New Zealand's history both had major technical faults and would often fall victim to them and I never got the impression that there were far more talented than any of the other batsman they played with, more successful but not more talented.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Obviously talented although I have some concerns after today - strange I know considering he got a hundred

He looked all at sea vs Tait's pace (not surprising when you consider he's never faced anyone of that pace before) and seemed to have little answer when tied down other than to hoik to leg.

On another day, (remembering that he edged in the air twice thru slips, french cut more than once and played and missed at plenty) it would've been an ugly failure.

However, a hundred is a hundred and there's no doubt that he's as well equipped as anyone since McMillan to be NZ's first world-class bat since Martin Crowe (sorry, but test averages in the 30s dont cut it IMO).

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by zinzan12 View Post
    Its early days for him, but he certainly doesn't look out of place at international level.
    Could clsoe the thread right there.
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

Sad thing is, even if he is the new Ricky Ponting, playing for New Zealand will make it hard for him to achieve real success, i.e. lifting the right trophies.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

He reminds me a lot of Ally Cook for England. Both have very prosperous careers ahead of them....

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post
    Sad thing is, even if he is the new Ricky Ponting, playing for New Zealand will make it hard for him to achieve real success, i.e. lifting the right trophies.
    A world class batsman is a good starting point for a world class team though. In Taylor, Fulton, Vettori, Fleming and McCullum, New Zealand have the core of a very good team. They need to sort the bowling (in particular) properly to build on that potential though.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    A world class batsman is a good starting point for a world class team though. In Taylor, Fulton, Vettori, Fleming and McCullum, New Zealand have the core of a very good team. They need to sort the bowling (in particular) properly to build on that potential though.
    Don't forget Oram in ODIs
    Member of LSU (bowl part time pies)

RIP Fardin

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Taylor certainly could be as good if not even better than Roger Twose.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Taylor certainly could be as good if not even better than Roger Twose.
    For Kiwis sake, I hope that's a joke!

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Err, no, Roger Twose is beyond question NZ's finest ODI batsman of the modern era.

Unfortunately, he only had a very short career. Taylor could well do every bit as well and play about 3 times the number of games.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Armadillo View Post
    Don't forget Oram in ODIs
    And what's wrong with Oram in tests, I ask you? Ditto Styris - Both averaged over 40 until the recent Sri lanka series IIRC.

President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, N Broom, Craig Cachopa, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, I Sodhi, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

Quote Originally Posted by NZTailender View Post
    And what's wrong with Oram in tests, I ask you? Ditto Styris - Both averaged over 40 until the recent Sri lanka series IIRC.

Oram's bowling in tests isn't particularly useful.

Given though, his batting in ODIs with the exception of the CB series hasn't been particularly useful either.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information