• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Chappell-Hadlee Series

Matt79

Global Moderator
I think resting Gilly is a good idea, and it gives Haddin some game time, and presumably Watson some more batting practice in a better spot for him anyway...

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be floored if Australia reversed their rotation policy just because they lost the CB Series finals. Without wanting to be overly dismissive, I really don't think the result of this series matters at all in the context of what is ahead. Obviously it'd be a blow to lose the series, but it's not as important as getting key players gametime and giving the guys that don't need to play a break.

Matt79

Global Moderator
there was a big hoohah about the rotation policy last time we failed to win the VB/CB series, with all kinds of sages denouncing it as cricketing suicide and a bridge too far from the boffins with their computers. We've won two World Cups, a Champions Trophy and god only knows what else, since that happened using the policy. They ain't going to change it any time soon.

I'd be interested to know who was rotated out of the team during this CB series that actually hurt the Australian performance. Symonds was a forced change, Hogg could have bowled more, but was never going to be a game winner with a wet ball today, and the bowlers bowled pretty well in the finals...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Resting Ponting & Gilly especially will do them well IMO, we say last year when Gilly had a break he came back smoking. Also looking foward to a big series from Watson & Haddin especially. Watson to find give his bowling form back mainly & a few runs will be good as well, while for Haddin to score a few, would like him to be picked for the WC but then again i guess he won't be picked.

Hayden
Haddin
Watson
Hodge
Clarke
Hussey
White
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath/Johnson

For once i guess the great pigeon place is under threat i guess, his bowling in the last few games hasn't been the worst but it has been his usual best. Gilchrist has had to stand up to him a few times just to prevent the batsmen from advancing to him & looking at the grounds in the caribbean he really could be in for some tap i fear. But then again he's a champion won't be surprised if he lifted his game to counter that during the WC.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
I think that even with a full strength Australia team, it would be 2-1 either way. Now with no Ponting, Gilchrist, or Symonds it think NZ would be favourites to win 2-1. Cant see a sweep either way to be honest.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
Lol.

Australia 2-1.
I think NZ are a good chance of winning this. Ponting was the difference between the sides in two of our losses to Australia in the CB series. With him gone, my hopes are high.

Having said that though, I'm not looking forward to the comments of a certain English poster should NZ win, and should any kiwi posters actually respond with any enthusiasm.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I think NZ are a good chance of winning this. Ponting was the difference between the sides in two of our losses to Australia in the CB series. With him gone, my hopes are high.

Having said that though, I'm not looking forward to the comments of a certain English poster should NZ win, and should any kiwi posters actually respond with any enthusiasm.
:huh:

A couple of candidates spring to mind...

Anyway, 3-0 Oz for mine. Sorry kiwis, but it's getting to be a mental thing now I reckon.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Script will go something like this... Blackcaps will nearly win the first 2 matches and will then win the 3rd match after the series has been won by the Aussies.
Yeah hate to say it but Scaly may be right, tbh.

I can see us taking advantage of Australia having no Ponting, Gilchrist or Symonds.

But history suggests when McGrath and Lee are against us in a ODI team, we'll get slaughtered.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Resting Ponting & Gilly especially will do them well IMO, we say last year when Gilly had a break he came back smoking. Also looking foward to a big series from Watson & Haddin especially. Watson to find give his bowling form back mainly & a few runs will be good as well, while for Haddin to score a few, would like him to be picked for the WC but then again i guess he won't be picked.

Hayden
Haddin
Watson
Hodge
Clarke
Hussey
White
Hogg
Lee
Bracken
McGrath/Johnson

For once i guess the great pigeon place is under threat i guess, his bowling in the last few games hasn't been the worst but it has been his usual best. Gilchrist has had to stand up to him a few times just to prevent the batsmen from advancing to him & looking at the grounds in the caribbean he really could be in for some tap i fear. But then again he's a champion won't be surprised if he lifted his game to counter that during the WC.
McGrath was the leading wicket taker in the CB series. He's adapted very well to the first change role and he's a very flexible bowler, He had a couple of quiet games and is struggling in the field, but I don't think his place is in danger at all.

Anyway, I doubt Haddin will open. I'd expect:

Watson
Hayden
Hodge
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
White
Hogg
Seamer
Seamer
Seamer

The seamers will rotate, obviously. I'd imagine Hogg will play at least 2 of the matches, and maybe all of them if he shows form. If he struggles he might be dropped after two and demoted out of the first team though. He's the one player in the first XI for the world cup that is in major doubt at the moment. I think Hayden, Hodge and Watson are all pretty set.

Voges will probably play a game or two at the expense of the other bats as well.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Although it'd never get picked, I'd like to see this team for the game on Friday.

Fleming
Vincent
Taylor
Styris
Oram
Christopher Zinzan Harris
McCullum
Franklin
Vettori
Bond
Gillespie

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Although it'd never get picked, I'd like to see this team for the game on Friday.

Fleming
Vincent
Taylor
Styris
Oram
Christopher Zinzan Harris
McCullum
Franklin
Vettori
Bond
Gillespie
Of course that'd never get picked, bar Fulton, McMillan and the Marshalls getting injured.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
how bout this for a new zealand lineup

1 jesse ryder
2 lou vincent
3 peter fulton
4 ross taylor
5 scott styris
6 jacob oram
7 chris harris
8 peter mcglashan (wk)
9 daniel vettori (c)
10 daryl tuffey
11 shane bond

12 craig mcmillan
13 jeetan patel
14 mark gillespie
15 james/hamish marshall

i read a while ago that stephen fleming as needing someform of medical attention so it wouldn't surprise me to see him rested for this series even though its the biggest chance nz has to beat aussie in a one day series but danny vettori should do the job.

howardj

International Coach
there was a big hoohah about the rotation policy last time we failed to win the VB/CB series, with all kinds of sages denouncing it as cricketing suicide and a bridge too far from the boffins with their computers. We've won two World Cups, a Champions Trophy and god only knows what else, since that happened using the policy. They ain't going to change it any time soon.

I'd be interested to know who was rotated out of the team during this CB series that actually hurt the Australian performance. Symonds was a forced change, Hogg could have bowled more, but was never going to be a game winner with a wet ball today, and the bowlers bowled pretty well in the finals...
Interesting that Brett Lee commented tonight on Inside Cricket that he is desperate to play successive matches and get some momentum during the CH Series. Also, there's little doubt that rotation doesn't help somebody like McGrath. Finally, have we won two World Cups because of rotation or despite the rotation policy? Nobody minds giving certain players a week off during the Summer. Resting is fine, rotation for the sake of it is not. And there is a difference.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Interesting that Brett Lee commented tonight on Inside Cricket that he is desperate to play successive matches and get some momentum during the CH Series. Also, there's little doubt that rotation doesn't help somebody like McGrath. Finally, have we won two World Cups because of rotation or despite the rotation policy? Nobody minds giving certain players a week off during the Summer. Resting is fine, rotation for the sake of it is not. And there is a difference.
Fair enough - it has its down points undoubtedly. I guess my question would be whether McGrath would even still be available to play for Australia if the selectors had always played him for every match in which he was available. Would Gilchrist?

The bowlers have been rotated more than usual in the last couple of years, but that has a lot to do with the decline of Gillespie and the need to find a long term replacement for McGrath. Bracken's emergence as a bowler of real class has answered part of that equation, but its required a lot of trial and error to find other candidates - Lewis, Dorey, Johnson, Clark, Johnson again... You do these things in the run up to a World Cup.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, Bracken and Johnson are clear examples of the strengths of the rotation system, and Tait and Hilfenhaus may end up that way as well.

There's also a fair chance that Clark wouldn't have gotten a run in the test side if he hadn't bowled quite well in some ODIs around the time McGrath pulled out.

howardj

International Coach
My point I guess is that you get a natural turnover, and younger guys get exposure, through just the natural course of events during a long Summer - eg the incumbents having minor niggles; the incumbents who play both forms getting a necessary week off during the season; and the odd incumbent being dropped for poor form. I just don't think you need to force the turnover by randomly resting incumbents (and arguably upsetting their rhythm). Over the course of a long Summer, opportunities naturally present themselves.