• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Marlon Samuels caught talking to bookies

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
Two key quotes from the Police statement:

"We have no evidence about financial commitment made"
"We wanted to come to a conclusion, but we could not...."

In other words, they do not have enough evidence to charge Samuels with anything, so they are sending a report to the BCCI and the ICC so that they can charge him for breaking an ICC code of conduct. In other words he will at most be banned or fined for speaking to a bookie (knowingly or otherwise), but otherwise they can't prove diddly squat.

No doubt Samuels is an idiot, but this does seem like overzealous policework to me.

tooextracool

International Coach
I didnt get to watch the innings so i cant really make any real claim, but for those who did, do you think it could be a case of match fixing? a 40 from 60 balls is an unusually slow performance when you are chasing 338 odd.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Hope this is nothing more than stupidity on Samuels' part...don't want to see him out of the game.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No doubt Samuels is an idiot, but this does seem like overzealous policework to me.
Not really. That would be charging him without having the evidence. They thought something might be up, and when couldn't find evidence of it, they gave what they had to the cricketing bodies.

Sounds reasonable to me.

pup11

International Coach
What do these players think when they do such a thing, its like betraying your country for just some money. I think every player should realize that no matter what finally they would get caught.

pasag

RTDAS
I'm abit confused tbh. Is it illegal for sportsmen to talk to bookies in India and are there laws against it in WI? And if not, is it specifically against the ICC rules/ code of conduct and if it is, is there a specific punishment? Wouldn't mind some clarification on this issue.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I said at the time that it was Samuels' innings that cost Windies the match and I still stand by it. But I would like to believe it was more because of his batting ineptitude than any fixing stuff.

Still stupid to be talking to a bookie, esp. NOW, having seen what an ugly affair it has been for the last few years.

Craig

World Traveller
Just to say though, its not really match 'fixing'.

"Amitesh Kumar, Nagpur's deputy police commissioner, said that Samuels was tapped giving information about the batting line-up and the bowling order.. He however said that the police had "no evidence about financial commitment made." The team details included the line-up and the bowling order, Kumar said."

Its more akin to what Waugh did.
How convient.

My question is why where these calls taped in the first placeand how Nagpur police got hold of these tapes? Is there some operation that is still going on?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I said at the time that it was Samuels' innings that cost Windies the match and I still stand by it. But I would like to believe it was more because of his batting ineptitude than any fixing stuff.

Still stupid to be talking to a bookie, esp. NOW, having seen what an ugly affair it has been for the last few years.
I must admit, I did think of your post immediately when it came out that the Samuels incident was related to the 1st ODI, because I remember you commenting on his innings.

As some have said, let's hope it was just stupidity from Marlon.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm abit confused tbh. Is it illegal for sportsmen to talk to bookies in India and are there laws against it in WI? And if not, is it specifically against the ICC rules/ code of conduct and if it is, is there a specific punishment? Wouldn't mind some clarification on this issue.
Bookmakers are illegal in India, full-stop.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
How convient.

My question is why where these calls taped in the first placeand how Nagpur police got hold of these tapes? Is there some operation that is still going on?
Because betting is illegal in India, and all suspected bookies are likely under surveillance.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
How convient.

Because most probably the police was taping the Bookie's phone converstation and found out that the bookie was talking to a WI player. Now what did you expect from the police that they should have ignored it like CA did and carried a whitewash of an investigation.

Dravid

International Captain
I was watching the news and they said, Samuel was in Mumbai for 2 days extra, after his team left for West Indies. He came back on his own later.

Hmmm...

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
Samuels is an idiot. Hes a young talented player with years of his career ahead of him. How stupid is it to jeopadise his future for just a few comments over god knows what. Utterly idiotic. He deserves everything he gets. I mean now hes probably gonna miss out on the biggest thing to happen in his career (world cup)! The worst time possible.
If it were an aging pro with a pension to think about i could sorta understand it, but for a twentysomething guy its utterly ridiculous