• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ever invented a shot?

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Not sure if it belongs in backyard cricket, but Im curios - Have you ever invented a shot?

I have, the blade cut. Basically, instead of cutting the ball with the midle of the bat, My bat managed to rotate 90 degrees and it flew of the blade, beat the man at point, and went for four. Fwlt really proud of myself afterwards, even if it is lame

gunner

U19 Cricketer
very short ball going over my head and pretty wide of my off stump too

tried a late cut and ended up at fine leg and went for 4

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yes, the 'Oh God, please help me' shot. Basically whenever anyone is bowling > 50mph, I go down on my knees with a bat in front of my head. Sometimes, the ball will hit it and I can get a run, othertimes I get out.

I'm told it looks quite comical.

albo97056

U19 Cricketer
The reverse reverse sweep - i have actually tried this for a bet lol!

Feign to play the reverse sweep and then when the bowler lets go of the ball, switch to a normal sweep shot :wacko:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Yes, the 'Oh God, please help me' shot. Basically whenever anyone is bowling > 50mph, I go down on my knees with a bat in front of my head. Sometimes, the ball will hit it and I can get a run, othertimes I get out.

I'm told it looks quite comical.
Time for you to post some videos!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The reverse reverse sweep - i have actually tried this for a bet lol!

Feign to play the reverse sweep and then when the bowler lets go of the ball, switch to a normal sweep shot :wacko:
I play the reverse sweep constantly. I remember back in the days when I would take practice knocks with my friends and play the Jason Gillespie innings - solid defence but no shots - and none of them could get me out. After time I'd start to play various inventive shots to make it more interesting for everyone involved.

I then started playing it in games when opening the batting. Against the medium pacers who inevitably took the new ball.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Not sure if it belongs in backyard cricket, but Im curios - Have you ever invented a shot?

I have, the blade cut. Basically, instead of cutting the ball with the midle of the bat, My bat managed to rotate 90 degrees and it flew of the blade, beat the man at point, and went for four. Fwlt really proud of myself afterwards, even if it is lame
You mean you close the face of the bat and hit down on it? Because that's how a lot of people play the cut shot.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I genuinely had a shot going last year when I would come down the wicket to the medium pacers, whilst also backing away slightly (moving in the direction of a very straight mid-on). I'd then normally end up on my knees while deflecting the ball through backward point. It worked quite well - the only ball I couldn't really play it to was the yorker. I never tried it in a game though, and now the bowling is generally too quick to do so.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Never invented a shot, but try to imitate the one used by Dhoni many times against the West Indians/Sri Lankans, in which he knocks the ball over the keeper's head for a four. It actually worked against pace bowling, but failed miserably against spin.

I still remember him using that shot against Tino Best, and Tino getting pissed afterwards :laugh:.

P.S. Love that avatar Tomm. :happy:

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

I tried the Vermeulen "up-and-over" to a fast bowler - 85+mph - twice before. The first time the ball flew nearly for 6. The second time the ball flew upward off my bat, hit my helmet and lobbed up for the wicketkeeper. It was the second most embarrassing dismissal of my career. In my defence, we needed >15 runs per over for the last 2 overs.

Natman20

International Debutant
I tried the Vermeulen "up-and-over" to a fast bowler - 85+mph - twice before. The first time the ball flew nearly for 6. The second time the ball flew upward off my bat, hit my helmet and lobbed up for the wicketkeeper. It was the second most embarrassing dismissal of my career. In my defence, we needed >15 runs per over for the last 2 overs.
What is your worst?

open365

International Vice-Captain
I once played a reverse pull shot in a school match, the bowler was pretty slow and we were going to lose so i thought i'd do something interesting.

I didn't mkae very good contact and it trickled into the off(leg??) side for a single.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I played a reverse defensive once in the nets, against a decent spinner. Was shaping to play the reverse sweep but without switching my feet round, until the ball dipped a bit and pitched far too short to play the shot. It was also fairly straight and I wasn't balanced enough to either switch back to a regular sweep or play a reverse pull, so I just straightened up the bat and played a forward defensive with my hands switched round. :cool:

Mr Mxyzptlk

What is your worst?
I was facing a left-arm chinaman bowler. He was bowling over the wicket (I'm a RHB) and he tossed one up outside my offstump. I didn't anticipate that he would get any turn, considering that he spends most of his time bowling left-arm medium fast and only converted to wristspin because he wasn't getting me out. I confidently pushed the pad out to the ball and it spun past it and took middle stump. But that's not the worst.

The worst is when the exact same thing happened in the second innings. :unsure: