• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are the Australian team Statistics slightly inflated ?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The fact that Australia have pretty much dominated both forms of the game (particularly test cricket) in the last decade to the extent they have makes me question whether their individual statistics are slightly inflated.

Take Ponting for example, as great a player as he is (averaging 59 in tests), he has never had to face the relentless attack of Mcgrath, Lee, Warne and Gillespie and co at their best. Just as those bowlers have never had to bowl to their own batting line-up in a test match.

Obviously, they don't have a choice in the matter, but its worth noting that most of the Aussie test cricketers ( not all) seem to have a better international record than first-class.

I just notice that this is something that seems to get overlooked when players records get compared. That is "did they play in the dominant team in their era?" and if so perhaps their stats are slightly misleading.

Lets take Ponting again compared with Mohamud Yousuf. Is Pontings average of 59 actually better than Yousuf's average of 56 given Ponting has always played in the dominant team since playing his first test in 1995.

I'm not for a moment suggesting Ponting isn't a great player, because he clearly is. I just think as a player, your record will obviously be better if playing in the best team.

Any thoughts ?

Last edited:

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
i agree! it wouldn't make a massive difference i don't think but as you said they are only slightly inflated.

I think if you looked at most top class players from other nations their avg's against australia on a whole (whether batting or bowling) would be less impressive.

I think especially in the bowlers case. I think that McGrath, Lee, Clark and Warne would struggle if they came up against the batting prowess of the Aussie team. Their stats would definately be effected.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
i agree! it wouldn't make a massive difference i don't think but as you said they are only slightly inflated.

I think if you looked at most top class players from other nations their avg's against australia on a whole (whether batting or bowling) would be less impressive.

I think especially in the bowlers case. I think that McGrath, Lee, Clark and Warne would struggle if they came up against the batting prowess of the Aussie team. Their stats would definately be effected.
Personally I reckon the likes of Gilly, Hayden and Ponting would struggle if they had to face Mcgrath, Gillespie, Kasper/Fleming, Warne (Australia's attack at its peak).

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, they are slightly inflated. Ponting > Yousuf easily though.
Yes, i just used this as an example, and for the record, I agree Ponting is a better allround player than Yousuf, so it wasn't really a great example, but i think you get my point :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Just out of curiosity, which of the Australian batsman do you think would trouble McGrath? :)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it is definitely part and parcel of being in the dominant team of the era though I agree with the above posters that it wouldn't make a great deal of difference - if you wanted to, you could make the same argument about the great West Indians of the 70s and 80s, particularly their batsmen who never had to face that pace attack.

However I would think that any inflation to Australia's individual stats, relative to their contemporaries, due to them being the dominant team of the era must surely be largely offset by how rarely they play against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh compared to most other countries, and the fact that on the very rare occasions they do play against them it has been either an out-of-season series, or one tacked on the end of an already overloaded campaign.

Slats4ever

Personally I reckon the likes of Gilly, Hayden and Ponting would struggle if they had to face Mcgrath, Gillespie, Kasper/Fleming, Warne (Australia's attack at its peak).
i'd rate the current Aussie batting attack a lot stronger than their current bowling attack. I reckon the batsman would have both McGrath and Clarke covered because the Aussies leave the ball so well.

I reckon that Warne would keep his avg about the same cos our batsman aren't the best in the world.

I reckon Lee may well improve his stats however as Akhtar bowling with pace and swing has troubled the Aussies on occasions. Would unsettle Langer and have Ponting in all sorts when he shuffled across his stumps.

adharcric

International Coach
However I would think that any inflation to Australia's individual stats, relative to their contemporaries, due to them being the dominant team of the era must surely be largely offset by how rarely they play against Zimbabwe and Bangladesh compared to most other countries, and the fact that on the very rare occasions they do play against them it has been either an out-of-season series, or one tacked on the end of an already overloaded campaign.
There's no excuse for almost losing a test to Bangladesh mate. :D

Slats4ever

Just out of curiosity, which of the Australian batsman do you think would trouble McGrath? :)
I reckon Hayden would worry him and treat him with the same disdain that Pieterson does. (Admitteduly Pieterson did fall to him in Sydney but I think in general he is on top of McGrath).

Langer may be troubled as he bowls well to left handers.

Ponting's so fast on his feet that he'd be easily able to adjust his shot and stay on top.

Hussey would crucify him cos he's technically very sound and knows exactly when to leave.

adharcric

International Coach
Hussey would crucify him cos he's technically very sound and knows exactly when to leave.
Doesn't that describe Dravid as well? He still gets owned by McGrath. Still, I do agree that Hussey and Ponting would do fine against McGrath. The rest not really.

adharcric

International Coach
You need a good technique as well as the ability to take a few strides out on the front foot to meet the pitch of the ball to do well against McGrath. Dravid and Kallis usually stay in the crease.

EDIT: Never mind, Sachin and Lara do just that and still get owned by McGrath. I give up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Ponting would be McGrath's bunny really - Ponting prays on errors of length. McGrath's length would disturb and catch out the glaring technical difficiencies that Ponting actually has.

I think Warne would struggle though, and Clark too. Lee IMO would be just as effective if not moreso against Australia. Symonds would of course struggle tremendously and I don't think Clarke would fair too well either.

R_D

International Debutant
EDIT: Never mind, Sachin and Lara do just that and still get owned by McGrath. I give up.
Not really, Sachin and Lara have dominated Mcgrath at fair few times where's Dravid and Kallis have been pretty much owned by mcgrath most of the time.

adharcric

International Coach
Not really, Sachin and Lara have dominated Mcgrath at fair few times where's Dravid and Kallis have been pretty much owned by mcgrath most of the time.
Hasn't McGrath owned Lara? Also, he's owned Sachin of late.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
McGrath would do just as well vs anyone - dont judge him at 36 in the year he retires!

BTW, people have noted that although McGrath has taken lara's wicket more than anyone else, claims have been made that honours are somewhat even because of the no. of great scores Lara has made vs Oz.

Not so - have a look at McGrath's stats in those matches

Generally takes wickets for no real runs whilst Lara savages the rest.

R_D

International Debutant
Hasn't McGrath owned Lara? Also, he's owned Sachin of late.
Of late Sachin has been owned by Mcgrath but than again so have msot other bowlers. Sachin has done pretty well against Mcgrath in past where's Kallis and Dravid have struggled most of the times against him.
Lara has fair few tones against Aus so he must have Mcgrath pretty well. Hardly any batsman really ever dominated Mcgrath anyway.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Hussey plays a few too many balls outside off stump at different stages in his innings. For this reason I think he might possibly be troubled by McGrath. However I think that Hayden would dominate McGrath but Clark might get his wicket by rushing him a bit more and getting a bit of movement off a length.

Ponting would just tear into Lee I think and Warne would still trouble every batsman.