• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why do Aussies hate murili?

PrincePeiterson

Cricket Spectator
bit of a generalised statement isnt that? I'm sure there are some who do hate him but the vast majority would either like him or not feel strongly either way. Now us Brits hating Warne is a national obsession and for good reason too!:laugh:

JF.

School Boy/Girl Captain
We don't hate the guy personally but we DO think that he chucks. End of story.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I know why the English do....something about a game at the Oval a few years back...

Matt79

Global Moderator
I don't think we do as a rule. There's an idiot minority who like to yell "no-ball" when he bowls here, but if that happens more here than anywhere else, it would be at least partially due to the extensive coverage his actual no-balls (ie the ones that were called) in Australia received here. Things like the Ranatunga led threatened walk-off killed off much of the sympathy he might have received, and it was a image that was indeliably etched in people's minds.

His competition with Warne is no doubt a factor.

And on the internet being a proponent of Warne as the best ever often means that you end up bagging out Murali, even though in isolation you might have nothing against him...

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Matteh said:
I know why the English do....something about a game at the Oval a few years back...
Nah. That game had little affect on me personally, but I remember attending a game at Southport a few years back and falling in love with him.

Pity we couldn't bat for ****.

ripper868

International Coach
we dont hate murali at all IMO, as pointed out by matt theres idiots who do the "no-ball" thing whenever he bowls and murali gets upset by it. remember when he threatened to boycott australia because of it? thought you would of needed a little biit thicker skin than that. i personally like murali and his enthusiasm for the game. i dislike he will overtake warne in 2007.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I don't hate him at all. I think after Warne he is the best spinner. But I don't agree with his action and if I resent anything, it's other people trying to give a lecture as to why we're all biased buffoons.

Like Matt, I think the tension also has to do with the comparisons and the heated nature of those arguments that tends to bring in animousity where there doesn't need to be any.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To be honest, neither Warne nor Murali have really done anything to limit the damage. While Warne has made his share of odd comments, Murali has also come down from his usual levels of classiness to make one or two rather unwanted remarks about Warne and Australia.

They could both take a cue from Lara and Tendulkar who have conducted themselves with lots of class and grace even though theirs is as fierce a rivalry as Murali/Warne has been, at least amongst the fans.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
honestbharani said:
To be honest, neither Warne nor Murali have really done anything to limit the damage. While Warne has made his share of odd comments, Murali has also come down from his usual levels of classiness to make one or two rather unwanted remarks about Warne and Australia.

They could both take a cue from Lara and Tendulkar who have conducted themselves with lots of class and grace even though theirs is as fierce a rivalry as Murali/Warne has been, at least amongst the fans.
Yes exactly, and let's not forget Botham/Imran/Kapil/Hadlee.

I remember Beefy saying after every match he'd go and check the scores to see what his all-rounder rivals had done, and seen if he did better or worse. Yet how often have they spoken ill of each other? To my knowledge they respect each other, and are proud that they were all apart of such a great era of all-rounders.