Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Murali praise for old rival Warne

International Debutant

Murali praise for old rival Warne

THE man who will almost certainly usurp Shane Warne as Test cricket's most prolific wicket-taker, Muttiah Muralitharan, has paid tribute to the Australian leg spinner on the eve of his retirement announcement.

Speaking to the Herald last night from New Zealand, where he is on tour with the Sri Lankan team, Muralitharan set aside his differences with Warne to describe his long-time foe as "a great" of the game, who was capable of playing for several more years.

Muralitharan lies just 25 wickets behind Warne on the Test wicket-taking list, and will presumably overtake him sometime next year. The pair have an extensive history of off-field tensions, with Warne critical of the Sri Lankan's action and Muralitharan not always complimentary of his adversary's demeanour.

"I have been watching as much of the Ashes as I can, and he is still bowling beautifully," Muralitharan, 34, said. "I always said that whichever one of us played the longest would get the record. We have not talked a lot since he came to Sri Lanka to help [with tsunami-related charities]. I would not say we are close, but we say hello.

"He is one of the great bowlers. From what I have seen, his leg spinner is as good as ever, but I think he has been having some trouble with the straighter deliveries. But he should always be respected, because he is a great bowler."

Warne's career is expected to end where it began - at the Sydney Cricket Ground. In that time, the leg spinner has transformed from a portly unknown to a streamlined legend of the game, rated among the five greatest cricketers of all time by Wisden.

Warne will hold a press conference at the Melbourne Cricket Ground at midday today, where he will announce his retirement from Test cricket. He announced his retirement from one-day internationals prior to the 2003 World Cup, but failed a drug test prior to the tournament, ensuring he played no part in Australia's triumph in South Africa.

The Herald understands Warne will join Channel Nine's commentary team after retiring from Test cricket, the network for which he worked during his 12-month drugs ban. Warne has not been employed by Nine since the late Kerry Packer terminated his contract last year after a series of off-field dramas. The network, though, is keen to negotiate a new contract.

Warne has been contemplating retirement for some time, but gave no warning of his impending announcement to the majority of his teammates after Australia's Ashes-clinching triumph in Perth this week. He did, however, discuss his intentions with senior team officials, preparing them for the news that Australian cricket has long been dreading.

As hard as the news will be to digest for Australian cricket fans, the timing of Warne's announcement should come as little surprise. With Australia not scheduled to play a Test match between the forthcoming Sydney Test and the start of next summer, Warne had little to keep himself motivated.

Moreover, Warne will now leave the game with the Ashes in his keep, and with 700 wickets to his name. Currently stationed on 699 wickets, Warne will presumably become the first man to reach 700 at his home venue, the MCG, before a crowd of up to 100,000.

Any concerns that interest would wane in the current Ashes series because of Australia's clinical victory after three Tests have now been safely allayed.
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/m...290614225.html

[/QUOTE]

Wow Murali prolly the first guy to praise Warney ... out of non-Aussies.. i have to admit that he is a really nice guy and yea he may chuck... but blame the ICC for that anyway..

I'm sure when Murali claims Warney's record Warne will also have full praise for him.. they are great mates aren't they?

U19 Captain
    He doesnt chuck

and murali>> warne

and murali >>>>>>>>> interms of niceness

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Wouldn't call them great mates.

I would have lost all respect for Murali if he slagged off on Warne on this occasion (and vice versa if Warne slags of when Murali breaks his record or retires).
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

U19 Captain
    YOU SAW IT HERE FIRST

Sydney Morning Herald cricket writer Alex Brown was the first journalist to break the news that Shane Warne would be retiring from Test cricket. Brown's story was posted on smh.com.au before the news appeared on rival sites and television stations.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

looks like somones not gettin enough publicicty

Cricketer Of The Year SirBloody Idiot's Avatar
    Please, not another debate over who is better and whether the slightly nerdy looking one chucks.

U19 Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker

I would have lost all respect for Murali if he slagged off on Warne on this occasion (and vice versa if Warne slags of when Murali breaks his record or retires).

I have a feeling warne wasnt thinknigi of murali when he retired

i think he might now consider re thinking his desicion

or come out of retirement to re claim the recrod

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad16
    I have a feeling warne wasnt thinknigi of murali when he retired

i think he might now consider re thinking his desicion

or come out of retirement to re claim the recrod
    You think wrong.

That stuff about being on SMH first is rubbish, it was on ninemsn and another site first and I was checking SMH and The Age when it broke.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Didn't expect anything different from Murali. He's always been pretty gracious.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    *yawn* How boring.

What else is Murali going to say? "**** off you fat bastard, good riddance".
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Cricketer Of The Year Robertinho's Avatar
    Yeah, Murali has always been a really good guy. Doesn't have the flair for off-field drama like Warne though.
    "If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - for ever."

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker

has he ever slagged off warne for you to think that? i don't remember that happening...

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anil
    has he ever slagged off warne for you to think that? i don't remember that happening...
    He hasn't been squeaky clean, but it's usually because Arjuna does it for him.
    ★★★★★

You cant not praise Warney for his efforts on field and his contribution to australian circket and just cricket in general!!

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Please, guys.... This is a time to celebrate Warney and all that he has done for the game. Surely the debate about Murali Vs Warne in terms of bowling, niceness, morality, vices, virtues etc. can wait.

I think Murali could have gone one step ahead with his praises for Warney though. Personally (and this is just a matter of opinion) I do believe that he is ever-so-slightly the better bowler than Warney but even the most die hard Murali fan cannot question the fact that it was Warney who made spin bowling fashionable again all over the cricketing world. And in terms of bringing in an aura of excitement every time he came on to bowl, the theatrics and just in terms of compelling people to sit and watch his overs, I think Warney is unparalleled. Not even Murali can match him there. That is what we are going to miss now in the coming years.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information