Page 51 of 147 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** Pakistan in South Africa

Inzamam, Younis, Akhtar, Mohammad Yousuf and Asif are all world class/very very good players. Kaneria is pretty good, Asim Kamal (who should be in the team and is highly underrated by everyone apart from, funnily enough, TEC) has the makings of a better version of Younis Khan.

6/11 is not bad.

The trouble with Pakistan in this game was that Inzamam relied on Kaneria and Asif to get him the wickets. His rotation of bowlers, specially in the second innings, was verging on criminal. Nazir and Rana, two front line bowlers, bowled a total of ten overs between them, equal to a part-timer like Hafeez.

The problem with batting was that no one really stuck-in and made a big score. Inzamam, Younis and Farhat in the second innings got out to needless shots. Faisal Iqbal seemed unsure of what role to play (examplified by his pathetic twenty ball block followed by a hoick out of no where first innings performance) - all of that added up in a performance which wasn't as bad as it was lazy and lack-lasture.

That said, full marks to Kallis and Amla for playing extremely sensibly in the second innings. Excellent batting. Congragulations to South Africa for a deserved win and hopefully the second match will be (even) more competitive and exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    So you've seen enough of him to tell us that he's mediocre? Great.. I guess being a SLA bowler is a prerequisite to being rubbish..
    A SLA bowler with an FC average of 29 and called up at 28 is a prerequisite to being unremarkable as I said - mediocre you just invented yourself.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine View Post
    A SLA bowler with an FC average of 29 and called up at 28 is a prerequisite to being unremarkable as I said - mediocre you just invented yourself.
    So India are also not-very-good players of SLA bowling then?
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricketer Of The Year Turbinator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    That bet is meaningless as it obviously won't be followed through.

Most people rate them as the 3rd best team after Australia and England. Can you name someone better for 3rd place?
    Dude I agree they are the third best team, but when facing RSA in RSA, no they don't stand a chance. Also, people rate them as a formidable outfit, but no it's just all other teams have been crap. Same with England, they are second because all other teams have been crap.

Also, the bet was kind of a rhetorical bet.

Quote Originally Posted by gunner View Post
    what lehmann outburst are you talking about?
    Probably his two-word description of the Sri lankans after, IIRC, he's been run out against them. The first was "black" and the second related to a part of the female anatomy that I couldn't possibly repeat here.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    Dude I agree they are the third best team, but when facing RSA in RSA, no they don't stand a chance. Also, people rate them as a formidable outfit, but no it's just all other teams have been crap. Same with England, they are second because all other teams have been crap.
    Or maybe, with the exception of Australia, all teams are pretty strong but evenly matched. And they are a formidable outfit. They lost handily in ENG but they won vs. India, then drew vs India, won vs SL, and beat England at home 2-0 (India could only draw against a depleted English team).

Actually I was just looking through the team stats at CricInfo and noticed that the Pakistan bowling attack is utter crap. Asif is very promising but unproven, and all the others have Brettleeesque averages if that. Seriously, I think a lot of people (including me) have been overrating this Pakistan team because they sometimes do well when conditions make the ball swing in hoops or when Kaneria gets it right. A team with such a mediocre attack doesn't deserve a top spot.

I say South Africa should be the rightful challengers of England as the no. 2 team, provided they can stabilize their middle order and Harris can prove himself as a spinner.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Or maybe, with the exception of Australia, all teams are pretty strong but evenly matched. And they are a formidable outfit. They lost handily in ENG but they won vs. India, then drew vs India, won vs SL, and beat England at home 2-0 (India could only draw against a depleted English team).
    You forgot lost against India in Pakistan. But once again not comparing them to India...

So India are also not-very-good players of SLA bowling then?
    Eh?

If you're trying to make some ridiculously convoluted link I suggest you look at how much Harris' wickets against India actually cost him and how they scored far more freely against him while Pakistan barely managed to get him away for 2 an over. India are far better player of spin than Pakistan generally speaking.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    You forgot lost against India in Pakistan. But once again not comparing them to India...
    Last series they played in Pakistan, India lost 1-0.

Last series they played in Pakistan, India lost 1-0.
    The one before that.... in 2003-04 they won 2-1.

Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post
    Actually I was just looking through the team stats at CricInfo and noticed that the Pakistan bowling attack is utter crap. Asif is very promising but unproven, and all the others have Brettleeesque averages if that. Seriously, I think a lot of people (including me) have been overrating this Pakistan team because they sometimes do well when conditions make the ball swing in hoops or when Kaneria gets it right. A team with such a mediocre attack doesn't deserve a top spot.

I say South Africa should be the rightful challengers of England as the no. 2 team, provided they can stabilize their middle order and Harris can prove himself as a spinner.
    Are you kidding me, South Africa . The team who got owned by Sri Lanka. Just because they won a few matches at home, with the help of some umpiring, you think they can contest for 2nd place? Anyways, agree with your first paragraph apart from the bolded part... they still do deserve top spot because, once again, the other teams haven't been all that great.

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Steulen View Post

Gul,Akhtar,Asif and Shabbir could form a very good attack an all have good test records

Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    The trouble with Pakistan in this game was that Inzamam relied on Kaneria and Asif to get him the wickets. His rotation of bowlers, specially in the second innings, was verging on criminal. Nazir and Rana, two front line bowlers, bowled a total of ten overs between them, equal to a part-timer like Hafeez.

The problem with batting was that no one really stuck-in and made a big score. Inzamam, Younis and Farhat in the second innings got out to needless shots. Faisal Iqbal seemed unsure of what role to play (examplified by his pathetic twenty ball block followed by a hoick out of no where first innings performance) - all of that added up in a performance which wasn't as bad as it was lazy and lack-lasture.
    I wouldn't term it as a wrong tactic from Inzamam to rely much more on Kaneria and Asif at least today (I did not watch most of the South African innings in the first inning and so cannot comment regarding that). Even with Asif and Kaneria bowling so tightly mostly, nothing was coming out. Hafeez was bowled because the pitch was taking turn. Once Pakistan did bowl the other bowlers post lunch, the pressure seemed much more off and as I mentioned, I would have brought in Asif again along side Kaneria (who did bowl after lunch) immediately.

The pitch was a major hindrance for Pakistan today and the South Africans were dogged at not doing any thing stupid.

Yes, as you mentioned, the batting was the real culprit. The pitch being as good as it was, no one should have really lost this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Gul,Akhtar,Asif and Shabbir could form a very good attack an all have good test records
    Question is: can they together be considered pakistan's preferred attack now or in the near future? I'm afraid not.

Page 51 of 147 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast

Thread Information