• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in South Africa

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Fact is it never happened and Warne sat out for a year.

These 2 should not be near a cricket field and the fact they have not been punished means they are fair game.

Not only did they cheat they got away with it.
And I am not denying any of those statements.....

Langeveldt

Soutie
*SHRUG*. Its the tribunal that let them go. The outrage should be directed towards them. The players did something wrong by taking drugs, but not their fault that they weren't banned. Thats like holding a permanant grudge against Warne.
My anger is directed at both of them as well as the board.. The two cheated and should have faced harsh consequences..

If two bowlers who could still be on performance enhancing drugs for all we know open the bowling, the game for me loses all credibility, it might as well be fixed..

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
The two cheated and should have faced harsh consequences..
Agreed. Maybe I see this as less of an issue as you do, but the first three steps are the same (1. Drug tested positive, 2. Banned for 1 or 2 years). The third step is that a tribunal reverses those decisions, which did not happen previously. No one is saying that the third step should have occurred, and virtually everyone is in agreement that they should have stayed banned.

However, your anger should be at the tribunal, if anywhere. For all I know, every single Indian player is on steroids, as BCCI does not drug test its players, at least the PCB does. Does anyone know which other boards drug test their players?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In any case, maybe I'm taking an American view of this, but its just steroids, who cares? If they had taken HGH, no one would have been able to test them. I'd inject HGH by the ton if I thought it would help me become an international bowler, or if it would extend my career.

Initially, I was angry and had my best holier than thou attitude on against Asif and Akhtar. But then I thought to myself, "If Brian Westbrook was on HGH and helped us win a Super Bowl this season, what would I say?"

"Good man!", that's what.

EDIT: That does not mean they should be legal, or that they shouldn't be punished if found. Just that its pretty low on my 'care' things. NFL has a four game suspension for first timer (thats 1/4 of the regular season). Which IMO is fair.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My anger is directed at both of them as well as the board.. The two cheated and should have faced harsh consequences..

If two bowlers who could still be on performance enhancing drugs for all we know open the bowling, the game for me loses all credibility, it might as well be fixed..
It's basically the same system with throwing. A bowler may be called at the start of a series for chucking, but he won't be called out of action for another couple of months (can't remember the exact time period, but it's typically at least a month). The bowler could conceivably chuck blatantly for the rest of the series and cash in on it.

Mr Mxyzptlk

In any case, maybe I'm taking an American view of this, but its just steroids, who cares? If they had taken HGH, no one would have been able to test them. I'd inject HGH by the ton if I thought it would help me become an international bowler, or if it would extend my career.

Initially, I was angry and had my best holier than thou attitude on against Asif and Akhtar. But then I thought to myself, "If Brian Westbrook was on HGH and helped us win a Super Bowl this season, what would I say?"

"Good man!", that's what.

EDIT: That does not mean they should be legal, or that they shouldn't be punished if found. Just that its pretty low on my 'care' things. NFL has a four game suspension for first timer (thats 1/4 of the regular season). Which IMO is fair.
Disgusting attitude and disgusting post. No place for such stuff in professional sport.

adharcric

International Coach
Did Asif and Akhtar take performance-enhancing steroids or just some random drug? I'm rather ignorant on this issue ...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Does that help them recover quickly from injury or does it help them perform better? Specifically, how does it do that?
From WIKI:

The positive effects of the drug include muscle growth, appetite stimulation and increased red blood cell production and bone density. Clinical studies have shown it to be effective in treating anaemia, osteoporosis and some forms of neoplasia including breast cancer, and also acts as a progestin-based contraceptive. For these reasons, nandrolone received FDA approval in 1983, and while sale is now restricted by the Controlled Substances Act, it remains available by prescription in most countries. In addition to legal production, Nandrolone is also extensively produced and used by athletes and bodybuilders seeking an edge in professional competition.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But you're also stating that integrity is inconsequential if it means your team will win. What are your thoughts on matchfixing and ball tampering?
Well two different things. For steroids, there is no uniform policy across the cricketing bodies, and some nations (like India) do not drug test their players. I am assuming that at least some of them have taken steroids. That does not make it right, mind you, but I have no idea how many do it anyway.

As for ball tampering, it is about the same level as steroids. It's odd to me that a ball tamperer gets 5 runs to the opposition and a new ball, whereas a steroid user gets banned for a year or two.

As for match fixing, thats a whole another issue. There are different levels of cheating. Match fixing detracts from the fans, instead of doing your best (and sometimes cheating) in order to win, you are betraying the fans and (in this case) the country by losing. Very much different IMO.

Mr Mxyzptlk

AFAIK international cricketing bodies fall under the World Anti-Doping Agency and therefore must cater to the same basic rules pertaining to drug use. ie, performance enhancing drugs are a no-no.

It's cheating. I don't see how you can condone cheating "as long as it isn't found out AND it helps my team win". Truly disgusting.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
AFAIK international cricket bodies fall under the World Anti-Doping Agency and therefore must cater to the same basic rules pertaining to drug use. ie, performance enhancing drugs are a no-no.
But its irrelevant what laws they are governed by if many of them aren't tested in the first place.

It's cheating.
Yes, never said otherwise.

I don't see how you can condone cheating "as long as it isn't found out AND it helps my team win". Truly disgusting.
Now, wait a minute. Its not condoning it. I agreed that they should be banned. Shawn Merriman is one of my favorite players. He got caught, did his time, and now he's back in the playoffs. I have no problem with that. Ditto with Julius Peppers, Shane Warne (who got a lot more than the others in terms of punishment), etc.

I have no problem with regular drug testing and banishment of the offenders. Some drugs (HGH) are hard to detect (if not impossible) and at this point I pretty much take it as a given that a lot of people are using it.

But assuming that weren't the case, I'd still feel the same way: Test frequently and punish the offenders. I don't see how that argument is any different from yours. I just said that on a 'moral' level, I put it around the same level as ball tampering (ie, breaking the rules to give yourself the edge). Shouldn't be allowed. If one of my players gets found out for cheating, should he be punished? Yea. Will I really care or will it make me look at him differently? No.

Mr Mxyzptlk

But its irrelevant what laws they are governed by if many of them aren't tested in the first place.
Of course it's relevant. Whether or not players are tested, it's still wrong. Doesn't matter if you're not caught.

How is this not defending or justifying cheating?

silentstriker said:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It would be interesting to note how many of us would jump at the chance to do an undetectable drug like HGH if it meant improving your game enough to get a national selection and earn millions vs. staying in mediocrity. We may huff and puff about it now, but I wonder how many of us would give in to that temptation.

Not saying its right or acceptable, but its not the end of the world, nor is it all that rare (IMO).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Of course it's relevant. Whether or not players are tested, it's still wrong. Doesn't matter if you're not caught.

How is this not defending or justifying cheating?
I wouldn't care if it meant us winning a championship. That does not mean that he shouldn't be banned. Its not justifying, its putting it on level with saying you caught the ball cleanly when you didn't.

silentstriker said:
Thats explaining it, and giving an accurate account of what most people would go through if they are on the fringes of selection. That still doesn't mean it should be allowed.

Last edited: