• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disgracefull treatment of a Cricket Legend

archie mac

International Coach
adharcric said:
If you suspect ball-tampering, you don't just lay the accusation because of some inkling you've got. There are other options, like changing the ball and speaking to the captain.
Yes, I don't think D. hair got it right, but what if the umpire speaks to the captain and they storm off the pitch (taking offence)? And it was later found not to have been ball tampering. Bye, bye umpire. Why would you risk it, if you were an umpire?

What if a bowler claims 5for and is later found to have been chucking? But the umpire did not call him for fear of losing his job?

I think the ICC has shown itself to be gutless yet again. (and I will say it again, I think Hair handled it wrongly)

adharcric

International Coach
archie mac said:
Yes, I don't think D. hair got it right, but what if the umpire speaks to the captain and they storm off the pitch (taking offence)? And it was later found not to have been ball tampering. Bye, bye umpire. Why would you risk it, if you were an umpire?

What if a bowler claims 5for and is later found to have been chucking? But the umpire did not call him for fear of losing his job?

I think the ICC has shown itself to be gutless yet again. (and I will say it again, I think Hair handled it wrongly)
So what do you think the ICC should have done then?

archie mac

International Coach
adharcric said:
So what do you think the ICC should have done then?
Come out and said; we fully support our umpires 100%

Fined the PCB

Suspended Inzi (one of my favourite batsman) for one year

Put in place a law that if any team failed to return to the pitch in future they would be banned from all ICC matches for one year.

Changed the process, so if an umpire thought there was ball tampering, he contacted(from the field of play) the 3rd umpire/match ref. who would ask that the TV network covering the match to check all footage for any wrong doings, and then if they found anything, take it from there.

Footage of any new bowler making his international debut, to be viewed by an elite panel and his action passed or failed, before he starts in International ranks.

All international bowlers to have their action viewed (from TV footage) every six months by an elite panel. To be passed or failed and remedial action recommended.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:

Fined the PCB

Put in place a law that if any team failed to return to the pitch in future they would be banned from all ICC matches for one year.

Changed the process, so if an umpire thought there was ball tampering, he contacted(from the field of play) the 3rd umpire/match ref. who would ask that the TV network covering the match to check all footage for any wrong doings, and then if they found anything, take it from there.

Footage of any new bowler making his international debut, to be viewed by an elite panel and his action passed or failed, before he starts in International ranks.

All international bowlers to have their action viewed (from TV footage) every six months by an elite panel. To be passed or failed and remedial action recommended.
everything else makes some sense except the bolded part....why should the icc or its member countries support theatrical, grandstanding umpires who believe they are bigger than the game and are not even better than average at their job in the first place?

adharcric

International Coach
archie mac said:
An umpire who doesn't know how to manage the game swiftly? Wouldn't that set a precedent for outlandish umpiring in the same way a ban would set a precedent for timid umpiring?
archie mac said:
Fined the PCB
On what grounds?
archie mac said:
Same as above.
archie mac said:

Good ideas in general.

archie mac

International Coach
adharcric said:
An umpire who doesn't know how to manage the game swiftly? Wouldn't that set a precedent for outlandish umpiring in the same way a ban would set a precedent for timid umpiring?

On what grounds?

Same as above.

Good ideas in general.
I agree, with the top point re-it might make umpires too agressive, but I would prefer that tbh. Still if an umpire keeps getting negative feedback by both captains they would be let go. And again let me say I thought D. Hair handle the issue wrongly.

On the ground that they brought the game into disrupute, set a dangerous precedent and cost ECB money. As the captain he should take the biggest share of the offence, although they were lmd by the rules in place at the time. Maybe I was being a bit tough on Inzi:wub:

Thanks the posi. feedback at the end :happy:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:

Fined the PCB

Excellent Post !! About only sane one in this thread.

adharcric

International Coach
archie mac said:
I agree, with the top point re-it might make umpires too agressive, but I would prefer that tbh. Still if an umpire keeps getting negative feedback by both captains they would be let go. And again let me say I thought D. Hair handle the issue wrongly.

On the ground that they brought the game into disrupute, set a dangerous precedent and cost ECB money. As the captain he should take the biggest share of the offence, although they were lmd by the rules in place at the time. Maybe I was being a bit tough on Inzi:wub:

Thanks the posi. feedback at the end :happy:
I agree. The ICC would probably be smart to clarify the policy on ball-tampering and chucking suspicions and how umpires should deal with them to prevent this ban from having an adverse effect on the quality of umpiring. I still believe punishment for Hair was necessary because a) the ICC would have come off as biased and rascist itself (as stupid as it may sound) if they supported Hair right now b) Hair is a poor umpire. Taking him out of the Elite Panel may have been more appropriate IMO.

As for the PCB and Inzy, they should get punishments but not very harsh ones because the ICC itself hasn't established clear rules on such a situation. Inzy has already gotten a suspension from the CT and that's enough. The ICC won't fine the PCB because they are cowards, I suppose? :unsure:

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
archie mac said:

Fined the PCB

The only problem with this is that in my opinion a bowler's action should be assessed on a ball-to-ball basis, not cleared for a certain length of time. It's very difficult to clear someone for future deliveries. Your suggestion is a far better option than what we have now though.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anil said:
everything else makes some sense except the bolded part....why should the icc or its member countries support theatrical, grandstanding umpires who believe they are bigger than the game and are not even better than average at their job in the first place?
I don't think that's why Hair did what he did personally. It's quite possible he fully believed in what he was doing...there's far better ways to gain yourself some attention without putting your position in jeopardy.

R_D

International Debutant
hahahaha
i clicked on the thread it was about some cricketing legend but as it turns out its abotu Hair.

How can anyone call him legend ? legend for what ? making all the controversies in cricket

FRAZ

International Captain
R_D said:
hahahaha
i clicked on the thread it was about some cricketing legend but as it turns out its abotu Hair.

How can anyone call him legend ? legend for what ? making all the controversies in cricket
THE BEST THREAD ON ABOTU HAIR EVER !
:laugh: btw Is it Hair's Kenyan nick?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
R_D said:
hahahaha

If he made ALL of crickets controversies then to be fair, he is a legend :p

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Darrell Hair? Stop changing the subject. This thread is dedicated to a legend and as such deserves respect.

Did we find out who the legend is, btw?

andmark

International Captain
Golaxi said:
Hello. Doesn't anyone one else in the whole world find the way everyones treated the iconic legend umpire of cricket Darryl Hair disgracefull?

Blaming him was an easy option for everyone especially with the way they baited him to the notoriosly hungry media.

In case anyone hasn't noticed he did NOT abandon the game! Pakistan refused to play therefore surrendering the game. Once the game was ALREADY OVER they then decided like little babies that maybe they wanted to play again so they foolishly marched back on the pitch. If you know anything about cricket you should know that once a game is over you cannot start playing it again. so blaming the umpire to start it again is stupid and out of the question, if you really care, know or like anything about cricket you should be running over to blame the Pakistan players who abandoned the game.

Now lets remember why they abandoned the game, because they were docked 5 runs (ill let you make what you like of that) for a ball replacement because the ball had been tampered with (which it had). Now the players took that as if they'd been accused of cheating which they felt rightly aggreived of, that then it was their decision to abandon the game.

now lets take this. The ball was in an unnormal state that could have come from anywhere including... Building Structure, someone in the crowd or even a player but was still tampered with thus given the bowling side an unfair advantage even when the new ball was replaced. Thus were deducted a grand total of 5 runs.

My judgement is forgetting all past cheating and suspicous rumours as to be unbiased but any neutral would be silly to dismiss all that including stuff like

Proven history of ball tampering (cheating)
Proven history of betting scandals
Recent drug scandal suspicions which have led to playing bans

many would see that as the italians of cricket!

anyway if you were the captain sitting in that room can you rule out every suscpicion of all your players knowing their history? are you brave enough to swallow your pride and not let down both nations and spectators and ridicule a great umpire and play on despite a 5 run defficit and complain after the game especially considering you are being given a new ball. Maybe explore the thought that the ball has been re-moulded through another means. Instead of considering accepting maybe a mistake had been made they refused to play and abandoned the game themselves. In my eyes a gracefull team plays on.

In football if someone fouls me and it's not given... i carry on

it was very easy for everyone to blame the umpire and they held out the bait to the media.

How could you treat a legend that has given so much to the sport over the years, he loves the game, never once tried to change it for personal benifit yet still has been so iconic in world cricket.

in my eyes he has been subjected to the fickle non-cricketing world to brush him under the carpet and save anyone else any blame.

what do you think? does anyone else share even slightly the same account of things?
Hey it was Darlys choice and it was on tv footage that a player was tampering with the ball.Also yes it is a disgrace.

Last edited:

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
Arjuna's View

Associated Press, Sun November 5, 2006 03:28 EST . DILIP GANGULY - Associated Press Writer - COLOMBO, Sri Lanka - (AP) Former Sri Lanka - captain Arjuna Ranatunga on Sunday welcomed the ICC's decision to ban Australia's Darrell Hair from international umpiring, accusing him of anti-Asian bias. ``He was a wrong man from the beginning to be in the cricket ground. I am happy that he is finally out,'' Ranatunga, who led Sri Lanka - to the World Cup title in 1996, told The Associated Press.
``I thank the ICC for taking the decision, which took a long time, but I think the ICC handled him well. They gave him time and chances, and finally it came to be known that he was not a fair umpire,'' Ranatunga said.