• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overated Kevin Pieterson

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
probably slightly in some parts, but overall i think the accolades he gets are rightly deserved.

simmy

International Regular
Clearly one of the better batsmen around. He is perhaps a tad overrated but only because he has outrageous potential.

Interesting to see how the Aussie pitches suit him.

andmark

International Captain
Kweek said:
next greatest...

like Waugh and Tendulkar have been the greatest
Kp could be one like them(Lara,Tendulkar etc.)
thats what he means I think..
Do you really think so.I think Lara Tendulkar are gods compared to him.

open365

International Vice-Captain
People go on about all the potential KP has, but in my view, he's pretty much reached it, i'm not saying he can't or won't improve but i don't think he will get that much better.

I mean, we've seen what he can do, 3 ODI centuries in one series, that 158 against Aus, the reverse sweep 6, how do you think he's going to improve?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think he willl always give his wicket away and will always prehaps be a frustrating player, having said that i think he can finish his career with an average of around 50. Not an all time great though.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
In ODIs probably - no centuries since SA 2005 gets out in the 50+ range too often. Before he got into the team he said he would be our "finisher" and he had a lot of NOs to start with but too many cameos and not enough tons. In Test cricket he's much better - I think thats because he starts slowly then speeds up. Someone should tell him that just because its an ODI dowsn't mean you have to whack it for 4 at once - you still have to play yourself in.

tooextracool

International Coach
open365 said:
People go on about all the potential KP has, but in my view, he's pretty much reached it, i'm not saying he can't or won't improve but i don't think he will get that much better.

I mean, we've seen what he can do, 3 ODI centuries in one series, that 158 against Aus, the reverse sweep 6, how do you think he's going to improve?
How about scoring centuries without at least 3 dropped catches?
Actually if he gets to 50 without 3 dropped chances it would be an accomplishment.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
When he was playing against Sri Lanka, the only thing that was stopping him from making 400 was him losing concentration. His defensive technique is the best in the England side at the moment I think. He was the only one who mastered and dominated Glenn McGrath at Lords in 2005.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
He tends to get careless when he passes 100. He's awesome though, he's not got an orthdox (:p) technique, but his style works. Has all the components to be a great.

open365

International Vice-Captain
PhoenixFire said:
When he was playing against Sri Lanka, the only thing that was stopping him from making 400 was him losing concentration. His defensive technique is the best in the England side at the moment I think. He was the only one who mastered and dominated Glenn McGrath at Lords in 2005.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No, just no.

Perm

Aside from all the flash stuff that we all know Kevin Pietersen is well capable of doing I think that one of the reasons why he will be a very good Test and ODI batsman is his defensive technique, he takes a huge stride forward when he is driving or defending on the front foot which negates LBW decisions going against him. I really enjoy watching him play, not because of his ability to hit sixes or anything like that, just because he can play such a beautiful cover drive of a very good delivery due to the fact he gets in a big stride.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
open365 said:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

No, just no.
No seriously, look at the ways he got out in those big innings. He had mastered Vaas, Murali, Malinga, Maharoof and Kulasekara, they didn't seem to have a hope in hells chance of getting him out when his eye was in. His only enemy was himself.

2nd Test, Edgbaston:

73.5 Muralitharan to Pietersen, OUT, Muralitharan picks up his 4th wicket, after being hit all around the park, he strikes, doosra tossed up on the stumps, Pietersen goes for the sweep, misses it, strikes the pad in line with the stumps, loud shout, given by the Umpire
KP Pietersen lbw b Muralitharan 142 (225m 157b 20x4 3x6) SR: 90.44

He basically misses it through lack of concentration, had he got the nerve of say Dravid, he could have gone on to make a massive score, as the bowlers weren't causing him any trouble. He missed it through fatigue or something.

grecian

Yeah, hes well over-rated, I think England should drop him from the England side, especially ODIs.:D

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Kevin Pietersen just gets bored with simply dominating sometimes. Unfortunately, there are only so many gears available to humans.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Well playerd today, pieterson! After a long time he finally decided to keep his wicket intact! And....the benefits of this can be seen clearly! But i think a few more innings like this are needed! After all, Shahid Afridi can also smack a hundred once in while! ( Although the 2 players are totally different. Im just saying that pieterson needs to prove that he's better)