• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Overated Kevin Pieterson

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its ODI cricket mate, and he's one of the best limited overs batsman going around. Its that simple really.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
andmark said:
If the whole team played like that the ashes would be ours.
...as soon as the Ashes becomes an ODI series... and Australia start bowling rubbish at the death.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
PhoenixFire said:
He basically misses it through lack of concentration, had he got the nerve of say Dravid, he could have gone on to make a massive score, as the bowlers weren't causing him any trouble. He missed it through fatigue or something.
KP is a fantastic player who has the potential to be a great player but for that he needs to strngthen the mental side of his game.

It has been said that he is one of those who wants to dominate the bowling. Thats fine. Even the greats like Bradman on one side and Hobbs at the other wanted to dominate the bowling but domination doesnt have to mean hitting them out of the park. Sometimes it is going to be an impossibility and at lthers it is going to be laced with too much risk. You cant dominate the bowling by sitting in the pavilion.

Bradman dominated the bowling like no one ever did or has done since but he did it by rarely hitting the ball in the air.

Hobbs dominated the bowling by playing the best of them on the most helpful (for bowlers) conditions, as if it was a walk in the park. Even comfortable defense, hour after hour, when most others would crumble, is dominance of the bowling. When he understands this he will score so many runs its not funny.

PS : When Sachin scored a double hundred in Australia without playing a single drive through covers while Australia kept trying to get him to do that, he dominated the Australians. Afrid and Razzaq wont understand that but I think Pietersen will - soon enough. He is still young and a bit brash.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
pietersenrocks said:
Do anybody wants to say it,now?I think he proved it,how good he is?
He proved that he's capable of playing an excellent ODI innings every once in a while. He has a fair bit to go before he proves he's an excellent ODI batsman.

tooextracool

International Coach
PhoenixFire said:
No seriously, look at the ways he got out in those big innings. He had mastered Vaas, Murali, Malinga, Maharoof and Kulasekara, they didn't seem to have a hope in hells chance of getting him out when his eye was in. His only enemy was himself.
Honestly other than Murali, cant say it is much of an achievement to master the rest. Its common knowledge that Vaas has been rubbish on every single tour to England, the less said about Maharoof and Kulasekara the better and Malinga is up or down too often to consider a threat.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Highest run-scorer in history of English cricket, and highest average of anyone to score over 10,000 runs in Internationals for England. I'd say he's rated highly, and deserves to be. Just a shame he had a few blips towards the end of his career which knocked his averages down. An in-form KP was one of the most destructive players of his generation, and he's one of the most naturally talented batsmen to ever play for England.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I was just thinking yesterday how weird the second half of his international career was. He basically spent all of it in bad form with lingering questions about his place in the side, then would occasionally pull out an incredible innings which would make everyone shut up for a couple of months until his next lean spell.

His ability to get runs in tough conditions or against good attacks was unmatched by any of his England teammates though, which makes me view him very highly. Best England bat in the last few decades for me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Played innings that were as good as any if his absolute top peers, across the world but wasn't consistent enough.

i always expected a purple patch but he never really had one.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Its pretty remarkable, or seems strange to me at least, that "not consistent enough" is something that could be said of a player who averaged nearly 50 after playing more than 100 tests, but I wholeheartedly agree.

Stace

First Class Debutant
For his ability he underachieved, if he had Gooch's greediness for runs he would of averaged well over 50.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Its pretty remarkable, or seems strange to me at least, that "not consistent enough" is something that could be said of a player who averaged nearly 50 after playing more than 100 tests, but I wholeheartedly agree.
Consistency is a bit of a weird thing to talk about with KP. He never had a truly terrible year where he failed to score 100 and his worst year was his last one where he averaged 36 in 2013 (before that he'd averaged 40+ every year), so you could make an argument that he was consistent. But obviously he never had any periods where he would consistently pile on runs. I remember Cook and Bell had runs of about 6 innings in a row with 50+ scores. Doubt KP ever got close to that sort of thing.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Whether or not he underachieved is another really interesting debate. At times you felt he should've been regarded alongside Viv Richards, but it's easy to forget he arrived in England aged 20 as a number eight off spinner who supposedly wasn't good enough for Natal. From that perspective his career was an incredible overachievement.