• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Players most kindly treated by selectors

open365

International Vice-Captain
I know Katich isn't exactly Mr master blaster at the top of the order in ODIs, but he still averages 35 which isn't terrible.

I would have to say Sami, i've no idea why he gets picked all the time.

And to a certain extent, Riki Clarke, though it could be veiwed that picking at all is a harsh move as he isn't very good.

Langeveldt

Soutie
open365 said:
I know Katich isn't exactly Mr master blaster at the top of the order in ODIs, but he still averages 35 which isn't terrible.
True, as a player he isn't bad, but there is no way he should be playing for a side like Australia

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Jono said:
Have people got the wrong thread when they mention Katich? He's been anally raped by the selectors many times. Dropped for Symonds in 2004? Disgraceful call.

Sami has received a good run, as has Symonds (test cricket).
I really think that you could have put that a little more, well, deftly...

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Neil Pickup said:
That's Marto being shafted rather than Hayden being kindly treated though, isn't it?
IMO it's a case of both

For the record, symonds definetly has the selectors on his side. In reality he never should've gone to the 03 WC, thankfully he did, but it was a huge gamble, and thankfully it paid off. Don't know how he ever got a test birth though :blink: Katich can feel hard done by for that decision.

tooextracool

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
- Simon Katich
You have to be kidding right? How many players get dropped after saving a game for their country? Or for that matter how many players get dropped for having one bad series like he did in the Ashes?Katich may not deserve to be in the ODI side, but the reason why he is picked is because of his performances not so long ago, such as in the VB series where he scored 4 50s and a 100.

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Do you know I can't honestly think of an occasion when an English test player has had an extended run of poor form & the selectors haven't dropped him.
You could compile quite a list:

Plunkett
Mahmood
Vaughan(ODIs)- had to get injured to get out of the side
Trescothick- i mean how on earth has he never been dropped since debut?
Pietersen- picked over Thorpe when he shouldnt have been, still considered a certainity in tests when there are other players performing better
Strauss(ODIs)
Anthony Mcgrath
Rikki Clarke
James Anderson- picked about 2.5 years before he was ready for it in test. Continually picked over a superior bowler in Simon Jones.
Kabir Ali
Geraint Jones

Others:
AndrewSymonds
Hauritz(didnt deserve to play a single test match)
Wavell Hinds
Ricardo Powell
Irfan Pathan
Maharoof

Johnners

tooextracool said:
You have to be kidding right? How many players get dropped after saving a game for their country? Or for that matter how many players get dropped for having one bad series like he did in the Ashes?Katich may not deserve to be in the ODI side, but the reason why he is picked is because of his performances not so long ago, such as in the VB series where he scored 4 50s and a 100.
Damien Martyn

Great Birtannia

U19 Captain
Jono said:
Have people got the wrong thread when they mention Katich? He's been anally raped by the selectors many times. Dropped for Symonds in 2004? Disgraceful call.
Martin Love was dropped for Simon Katich's left arm chinamen in the first place.

Alysum

U19 Debutant
tooextracool said:
his SR in tests is 92.50
makes his average look decent.
Oh in tests...I thought you meant ODIs...

You can't really comment on someone's average and SR after only 5 tests can you?

Mister Wright

Neil Pickup said:
Not many other batsmen perform well enough for a long enough period to deserve extended (and repaid) faith. Not even remotely comparable to someone like Sami who never did anything well in the first place...
Totally agree with Neil on this one. Clapo's vandetta against Hayden is disturbing IMO, espeically given that he is a Queenslander himself. So many consecutive years scoring 1000+ runs for his country deserves extended selection. Keep in mind he was only 1 test away from being dropped, and since then he's gone on to be as strong as ever and Australia are better off for it, especially considering another Ashes series on the way.

Mister Wright

Great Birtannia said:
Martin Love was dropped for Simon Katich's left arm chinamen in the first place.
Yeah, that's the biggest joke selection of all time. We were playing against Zimbabwe it wasn't like we needed the extra bowling option. Shocking call. Love should have been selected.