• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Irfan Pathan

tooextracool

International Coach
Pathan has always been an excellent bowler at controlling swing, as his performace against Pakistan when he had them 0/3 showed. Problem is when the ball isnt swinging he doesnt have the pace or variety to do anything else. Hes a poor man's Bracken to be honest, which is quite bad really.

R_D

International Debutant
silentstriker said:
I don't have a life outside the forum. Does that mean I get the Bradman award next week? :unsure:
hahaha man when you stop thinking about the award it'll come to you ;)

I didn't see Irfan Bowl but from what i heard he was bowling at much faster speed. is it true and how much faster than before.
If he's bowling fast again means his hunger is back and he won't be running is and just rolling the arm over at 120 km/h... He's got the natural swing and if he adds bit of poace he'll fine bowler. I don't expect him to be express pace but least he could do is reach mid to high 130's to be a effective swing bowler.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Man you know what ticks me off, you guys are the same people who, when Pathan starts playing good consistently, don't stop praising him and start comparing him with Wasim Akram. I mean give the guy a break, tell me which athlete hasn't had slump atleast once or twice in his whole career or hasn't tasted failure. And please stop judging the guy so early on in his career. Give him some time, and you never know he can be a complete legend one day, or he could even be a complete failure and be forced to play domestic cricket for the majority of his career. So please stop saying Pathan this, Pathan that!

In sports anything can happen, it is a proven fact!

adharcric

International Coach
R_D said:
I didn't see Irfan Bowl but from what i heard he was bowling at much faster speed. is it true and how much faster than before.
He was bowling around 80-81 mph. I don't see him crossing 84 mph anytime soon, but if he can bowl with control and keep above 80 mph I'll take it any day.

Last edited:

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
adharcric said:
He was bowling around 80-81 mph. I don't see him crossing 84 mph anytime soon, but if he can bowl with control and keep above 80 mph I'll take it any day.
No I swear he was touching 83-84 this match, I watched the whole match and was keeping track of his speeds.

R_D

International Debutant
adharcric said:
its a start i guess... At least he's reaching 80 mph. Hopefully he reaches 84mph consistently.
Even 80mph is better than the speed he was bowling before.

deeps

International 12th Man
Turbinator said:
Are you serious, how come I never saw these ads, and I am sure atleast one of the products might of caught your interest, try em' you'll like it.
He's always advertising stuff. Vector plus comes to mind (shaving razor)

I think a motorbike at some stage?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
All I'm saying is stop your "Pathan should retire" impulsions if you want others to stop jumping up and down over one good performance. You're right though, he hasn't proved you wrong yet.
Err - that was supposed to be funny.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sanz said:
Does that mean that Pathan still has a chance to become India's Wasim Akram ?
Why not? Sure he's been out of form for a little while and hasn't really produced the kind of bowling or batting we expect from him, but given time and some good behind the scenes help I can see him becoming like Wasim Akram in the future although he probably won't be as feared as Akram was.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Perm said:
Why not? Sure he's been out of form for a little while and hasn't really produced the kind of bowling or batting we expect from him, but given time and some good behind the scenes help I can see him becoming like Wasim Akram in the future although he probably won't be as feared as Akram was.
not going to happen....

adharcric

International Coach
Perm said:
He definitely has a chance to become a great bowler, but I can't imagine him reaching the class of Akram because he lacks pace and can't threaten too much with the old ball in test matches. McGrath is in that top league because although he lacks pace, his control is phenomenal and he can make the ball do stuff at any given time.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
adharcric said:
please give a reason ...
a reason to show why he wouldn't reach akram's heights? i'm sure you know the gap that exists between akram and pathan in terms of actual performance right now....do you actually see enough potential in him to bridge that gap? remember, we are talking about the greatest ever left-arm pacer here....i am not saying pathan can't become a much better bowler than what he is right now, but reaching akram's level, maintaining it and being talked of at akram's level as a bowler at the end of his career would take quite a bit of doing and i don't think he has it in him in terms of pace, control, variety or consistency....

adharcric

International Coach
Anil said:
reaching akram's level, maintaining it and being talked of at akram's level as a bowler at the end of his career would take quite a bit of doing and i don't think he has it in him in terms of pace, control, variety or consistency....
That's all I was looking for. :) As you'll see in my previous post, I don't think he can reach those heights either.

Just making sure you weren't BS-posting. :ph34r:

R_D

International Debutant
silentstriker said:
How about he works on becoming a mediocre bowler first, before becoming Akram?
hehehe good to see you havent lost you're optimism.

tadeusz

State 12th Man
Just for interest's sake:
Pathan: 25 Tests, 91 wickets @ 30.79, 7*5wi, 2*10wm.
Akram after 25 Tests: 76 wickets @ 27.6, 4*5wi, 1*10wm

Pathan: 67 ODIs, 111 wickets @ 24.54, 3*4wm, 1*5wm
Akram after 67 ODIs: 86 wickets @ 24.37, 2*4wm, 1*5wm

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
OMG once again please you people stop saying he cannot become like Wasim Akram, it might be unlikely, but not impossible. Anything is possible.