• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Gibbs Reveal More Names*

Slow Love™

International Captain
TT Boy said:
Sounds pretty genuine, from all reports Gibbs is not the brightest spark in the world.
Yeah, that's my impression as well. It seems to get danced around a bit, but a few pieces I've read seem to have suggested that he might be a bit simple.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Funny kind of underperformance that, 74?! From this angle, that looks like more than 20!
Are you still claiming that Gibbs is innocent ?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sanz said:
So he accepted money in order to score under 20 runs.. He went out and belted 74 and is guilty of under performing?

I don't know how exactly money changes hands and these things are worked out, but did he have to return the money? did he even recieve it?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sanz said:
So he accepted money in order to score under 20 runs.. He went out and belted 74 and is guilty of under performing?

I don't know how exactly money changes hands and these things are worked out, but did he have to return the money? did he even recieve it?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:

IMO, He is guilty of accepting money to under-perform and has admitted it. That is enough for me to call him guilty of match fixing.

Whether he had a change of heart or he received/returned money afterwords doesn't really matter.

Anyways, instead of chucking the question, why dont you say if you consider him guilty or not ?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sanz said:
Anyways, instead of chucking the question, why dont you say if you consider him guilty or not ?
Because I don't know! He didn't underperform, no spectators were cheated by having to watch him underperform, but he said he took money.. What for?

Whoever paid him all this money got a pretty bum deal

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
Because I don't know! He didn't underperform, no spectators were cheated by having to watch him underperform, but he said he took money.. What for?

Whoever paid him all this money got a pretty bum deal
So the guy accepts that he took money to under-perform, his captain was banned for life for being the king pin of match fixing, yet you cant tell ? I am sure Cronje/Azhar/Malik weren't involved either, there is no evidence that they threw any particular game.

Sure he didn't make <20 but how do you know he didn't under-perform ? Gibbs was a premier batsman in 2000 and I rated him in top 3 ODI batsmen then he definately was capable of scoring more until he ran himself out.

Gibbs said he took money to score < 20. his words not mine. You bribe someone to do change your fiancial record in a bank, the guy you bribed doesn't do your work and later on caught. He accepts that he did take the bribe but didn't do the job because he forgot.

Is he guilty of taking bribe ? Yes. You may ask - what for ? Accepting to illegaly alter records. Whether he changes the record doesn't really matter.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sanz said:
So the guy accepts that he took money to under-perform, his captain was banned for life for being the king pin of match fixing, yet you cant tell ? I am sure Cronje/Azhar/Malik weren't involved either, there is no evidence that they threw any particular game.

Sure he didn't make <20 but how do you know he didn't under-perform ? Gibbs was a premier batsman in 2000 and I rated him in top 3 ODI batsmen then he definately was capable of scoring more until he ran himself out.

Gibbs said he took money to score < 20. his words not mine. You bribe someone to do change your fiancial record in a bank, the guy you bribed doesn't do your work and later on caught. He accepts that he did take the bribe but didn't do the job because he forgot.

Is he guilty of taking bribe ? Yes. You may ask - what for ? Accepting to illegaly alter records. Whether he changes the record doesn't really matter.
But surely having made 74 he would have seen none of this money at all?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
Fair enough, so a guy who says "I swear I'll kill such and such" is a murderer?

If he says "Yes, I will charge you $1000 for a murderer" and the deal is made, he is liable to be arrested even if he doesn't go through with it.

Police set up stings like that all the time.

Langeveldt

Soutie
silentstriker said:
If he says "Yes, I will charge you $1000 for a murderer" and the deal is made, he is liable to be arrested even if he doesn't go through with it.
but is he guilty of murder?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
but is he guilty of murder?

No but he is guilty of a crime (conspiracy to murder) which is life in prison.

So he is not guilty of murder, but in terms of punishment there isn't much difference.

So call it conspiracy to match fix. Close enough for a lifetime ban, easily. I would even ban them for life if they heard about it (or were offered it) and didn't report it. This thing is just the most evil thing to happen to the game ever. Anyone associated with it needs to be rooted out, permanantly.

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
silentstriker said:
No but he is guilty of a crime (conspiracy to murder) which is life in prison.

So he is not guilty of murder, but in terms of punishment there isn't much difference.

So call it conspiracy to match fix. Close enough for a lifetime ban, easily. I would even ban them for life if they heard about it (or were offered it) and didn't report it. This thing is just the most evil thing to happen to the game ever. Anyone associated with it needs to be rooted out, permanantly.
I can see your point, but at the time these guys were offered money to underperform they were incredibly naive and didnt have a clue how serious the match fixing scandal could be.. Whilst I agree with the kingpin Hansie's permanant ban, some of these players, wet behind the ears, didnt have a clue what match fixing was when he called them around for a "chat".. Reading Gary Kirsten's thoughts he made it clear that had he known just how damaging it would be to cricket at the time of the meeting, he would have reported it immediately..

As opposed to some players who "deliberately and willingfully" bend the rules and cheat not getting life bans, or do you suggest that as well?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Langeveldt said:
I can see your point, but at the time these guys were offered money to underperform they were incredibly naive and didnt have a clue how serious the match fixing scandal could be..
Um, if they didn't have a "clue" that throwing a damn match would be a big deal, then they need to be culled out of stupidity. And if the threat of bigger scandal is the only thing that prevented them from disgracing their country and sport, then they need to be banned for lack of integrity in sport.

Langeveldt said:
Whilst I agree with the kingpin Hansie's permanant ban, some of these players, wet behind the ears, didnt have a clue what match fixing was when he called them around for a "chat".. Reading Gary Kirsten's thoughts he made it clear that had he known just how damaging it would be to cricket at the time of the meeting, he would have reported it immediately..
What does that even mean? Hey man, I'll pay you $50000 if you score less than 20 runs, so we can lose this game...that doesn't sound like something thats 'damaging to the game'?

Langeveldt said:
As opposed to some players who "deliberately and willingfully" bend the rules and cheat not getting life bans, or do you suggest that as well?
Gibbs "deliberately and willfully" said yes to the offer, unless the money was shoved down his pants.

As for punishment, definatly. Everyone who broke the laws should be punished in accorance with the crime. Ball tampering should be increased to like 5 tests. Disrepute should be like a year. Losing a match on purpose should be lifetime bans, plus maybe find a way to get them in prison. Agreeing to losing a match on purpose should be lifetime ban in and unto itself.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Langeveldt said:
....at the time these guys were offered money to underperform they were incredibly naive and didnt have a clue how serious the match fixing scandal could be.. ?
Gibbs was also offered to throw a match in 1996, guess he was smart enough to know the seriousness of it and hence reject it but If I believe you in 2000 he was much more naive than he was in 1996.

When all else fails bring up his innosense and what a baby he was. What next ? He was mentally unstable ?

Slow Love™

International Captain
Sanz said:
Gibbs was also offered to throw a match in 1996, guess he was smart enough to know the seriousness of it and hence reject it but If I believe you in 2000 he was much more naive than he was in 1996.

When all else fails bring up his innosense and what a baby he was. What next ? He was mentally unstable ?
One funny possibility is that he's not as dumb as assumed, and was trying to fleece Cronje. Not like Cronje can run to the authorities and complain if he doesn't get his money back. :)

Either way, Gibbs took the money, he confessed he did it, and he got banned.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sure, well after reading your points, Gibbs to me is less innocent than he was at the start of today.. So now we've got rid of all the South Africans because they overhead some chap talking about throwing a match, can we get rid of Alec Stewart who IIRC was approached by a bookie, Mark Waugh, Shane Warne and half the Aussies who might have been in on the act? Not to mention the subcontinental players, who, even if totally innocent, saw and overheard shady people hanging around the Sharjah dressing rooms but didn't think anything more of what they were doing? Oh if they'd known?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Slow Love™ said:
One funny possibility is that he's not as dumb as assumed, and was trying to fleece Cronje. Not like Cronje can run to the authorities and complain if he doesn't get his money back. :)

Either way, Gibbs took the money, he confessed he did it, and he got banned.
Surprised he wasnt paid after the performance, especially if it was a substantial wad of cash