• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Darrel Hair be officially fined and banned ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
grecian said:
I think banning Daryl Harper will be very harsh in this case.
Not just Harper but even Cullinan, Tuffey, Brown (Windies) and Anderson (Scotland) should be banned ! :happy:

haroon510

International 12th Man
i think he should be ban and fined. i don't know i think hair should be an example of other empires. if hair would go without punish tomarrow other empires repeat what hair did. if he get punish empires would think that there is someone who is watching them also.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
haroon510 said:
i think he should be ban and fined. i don't know i think hair should be an example of other empires. if hair would go without punish tomarrow other empires repeat what hair did. if he get punish empires would think that there is someone who is watching them also.
Aargh... the Romans are coming...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
haroon510 said:
Leaving aside the curious use of the English language, - although of course this English is far better than my attempts at his native language would be - I don't think all umpires are suddenly going to start accusing teams of ball tampering just because Daryl Hair isn't publicly flogged on this occasion.

There is no question of Hair being fined. There is no more hard evidence that he acted out of bias than there is that Pakistan tampered with the ball.

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
I think Hair should just be rewarded with 500,000 USD something which he was after and be told to get lost.I don't see how Umpires can be banned for mistakes, certainly don't have any example in cricket (is there one in other sports?) .Muddugale did well to warn umpire that they should take every possible step to prevent a match being forfeited rather than have had it happens in their stubborness.

In any case Hair will get what he wants in anycase, time is just ripe for him to write a book on the oval fiasco and get $$$.If the earlier book ,"Decision Maker", didn't get him enough than the next book, "Dodgy decision maker", is surely going to make him rich.

Legglancer

State Regular
IndianByHeart said:
I think Hair should just be rewarded with 500,000 USD something which he was after and be told to get lost.I don't see how Umpires can be banned for mistakes, certainly don't have any example in cricket (is there one in other sports?) .Muddugale did well to warn umpire that they should take every possible step to prevent a match being forfeited rather than have had it happens in their stubborness.

In any case Hair will get what he wants in anycase, time is just ripe for him to write a book on the oval fiasco and get $$$.If the earlier book ,"Decision Maker", didn't get him enough than the next book, "Dodgy decision maker", is surely going to make him rich.
Well Hair has accumilated Gambling Debts that are in the 7 figure range and has been under pressure for some time now. So he might just have to write another book ..... as his Payout Lark did not quite work out to plan.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Legglancer said:
Well Hair has accumilated Gambling Debts that are in the 7 figure range and has been under pressure for some time now. So he might just have to write another book ..... as his Payout Lark did not quite work out to plan.
U do know that people have been sued over comments made in forums dont you?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No. You can't ban or fine him just because the result went against him at a hearing heard 2 or 3 weeks post-match without there being some finding that he deliberately cheated or was biased in his decision-making.

grecian said:
Shabbir took key wickets in the second innings of the first match, simple to work out if he hadn't, England may have won the match and series.
Shabbir took only one wicket in the second innings!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Pothas said:
No, he made his decision. The fact that others deemed his opinion to be wrong doesnt mean he has done anything against the rules even if he did deal with the situation with a lack of tact.
Pressing charges with no evidence to back it up, esp. charges that hurt the sentiments of an entire cricket playing nation.... These are enough grounds to get rid of an umpire, me thinks.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Dravid said:
Hair is fine the way he is. No action needs to be taken against him, and no action will be taken against him. He was perfectly under the rules of the ICC to change the ball. Why should an action be taken against him if there was no law broken?
Lack of common sense for an umpire.... I would think that to be enough grounds to ground a man who is supposed to be one of the "elite" umpires of the world.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
pasag said:
His actions were wrong in my books but he was just doing what he thought was right. There was no malice intended and I would hope that if I ever made a simple mistake in life, I wouldn't be ostracized like what is happeining to him now.

I tell you what. No sane person is going to want to become an umpire after seeing what will happen for just doing your job.
HIs JOB is to ensure SMOOTH running of the game, and only accuse people when there is evidence. Don't think he did such a good job on either count.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
pasag said:
Hair should be given a medal for all the crap he is has hat to put up with for just doing his job. Some of you have taken too much pleasure in this whole controversy and enjoyed it way too much.

I initially thought Hair was in the wrong and I still do, but the reaction from most of the people here and in the media is sickening. In no other sport will you see something like this happen and in what is supposed to be the gentlemans sport, cricket has the most ungentlemenly like fans. No grace and very little dignity.

The treament of Hair makes me sick to the stomach tbh. The massive, massive overreaction has got to be the most idiotic thing I have ever seen and is more a product of groupthink than anything else. It is a shame that someones career is effectivley over because the media and fans like a good tabloid drama. A good soap opera.

He's a hero and a martyr in my books.
absolutely. Blaming people because of suspicions and charging them with that, and then failing to explain to them why certain actions were taken against them and then going on to flatly refuse the request of the match referee, the two teams, the concerned boards to get the match going again simply because the RULE.... Placing the law above its spirit... A real martyr indeed..... 8-)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
pasag said:
Nope, how many umpires are going to want to go down that career path when they see that a simple mistake leads to effigies of them being burned on the street.

I can't stand the drama surrounding this and the people willing to keep the flames burning for again, a simple mistake. Get over it.

Something like 15 threads in CC on the subject suggests some people are enjoying this way too much.
you are such a racist pig.

Sorry, that was just a simple mistake too. And I dont even have the official powers which Hair has. Honestly tell me you didn't think much about what I said above. Baseless allegations of cheating against a team which has a volatile history w.r.t that issue and then being bull headed and blinded by his own ego when common sense could have prevailed......... He deserves to go, mate... Simple mistake would be getting a LBW or a caught behind wrong and even those can change games. This one changed the whole landscape of relations between the cricket boards of the world... well, almost did.