• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spinner for 1986-2006 World XI

Spinner for 1986-2006 World XI

• Mushtaq Ahmed

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Anil Kumble

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Stuart McGill

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Muttiah Muralitharan

Votes: 28 36.4%
  • Saqlain Mushtaq

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Abdul Qadir

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harbhajan Singh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shane Warne

Votes: 42 54.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Beleg

International Regular
Yeah, the current voting pattern reflects the nationalities pretty closely. It's hard to look past Muralitharan though, probably the second great sportsman of all time.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is this not a public vote ?

the number of votes cast so far (60) , far exceeds the numbers that have previously voted in polls by a long way.

IIRC previous polls only had 45-50 votes in each.

Just wondering if some of these votes are actually spurious votes by double identity forum members !!:laugh:

aussie tragic

International Captain
Beleg said:
Yeah, the current voting pattern reflects the nationalities pretty closely. It's hard to look past Muralitharan though, probably the second great sportsman of all time.
ummm.. I voted Murali and last time I checked I was still an Aussie :)

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
Thing I don't understand is, this is just a vote between the two players as they are on the field. Imagine these two players as to what the ball does between the time the ball has just left the hand, and after it crashes into the stumps (as it often does). So IMO this excludes Warne's off field behaviour and any suspicions you have about Murali's action should not be taken into account.

JBH001

International Regular
Well, I am a Sri Lankan by birth and I believe Warne to be the better bowler, just.

However, I voted for Murali because
1) I am a Sri Lankan and a Tamil.
2) The difference between the two is nowhere near as far apart as the voting makes them out to be. I mean really 55% - 35% in favour of Warne! Warne looked like winning when I voted and I wanted to make it closer..don't seem to have succeeded though.

Come to that, an XI of 1986 - 2006 without Murali would be a travesty, really.
(all the more reason to pick a decent fast bowling allrounder)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Why can't we just choose the best bowlers rather than just one spinner? Murali & Warne would both make a 86-06 XI.
Which was I think the original idea of having a pace bowling all rounder at 6 - however that does narrow down the options a lot...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
JBH001 said:
A tough one - but Murali in a strong team would really take him to another level.
Alternatively he would not be so crucial to the attack so won't have to bowl 75% of the overs from one end...

JBH001

International Regular
True - but it may also mean that he can really attack as he would want to.
Part of his bowling so many overs is that he plays the dual role of stock bowler and strike bowler, something he does very well, but may cost him in terms of SR and perhaps wkts.

Given great support from the other end, and not having to keep runs down and take wickets at the same time, may mean that he could bowl in a completely different way.

bagapath

International Captain
BhupinderSingh said:
I've voted for Muttiah Muralitharan & bit surprised to see a cheat like Shane Warne leading the poll.
so what if he cheated on his wife? it is erstwhile mrs. warne's problem. as long as he doesnt cheat on the field - like chucking or tampering the ball - i would always go for warne. however, i do hope we come back to the fourth bowling option after the no 6 player is chosen. if that happens to be a fast bowling all-rounder we should choose murali. but between them, it has to be warne.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
bagapath said:
so what if he cheated on his wife? it is erstwhile mrs. warne's problem. as long as he doesnt cheat on the field - like chucking or tampering the ball - i would always go for warne. however, i do hope we come back to the fourth bowling option after the no 6 player is chosen. if that happens to be a fast bowling all-rounder we should choose murali. but between them, it has to be warne.
I think he was referring to the one year ban for illegal substances...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
aussie tragic said:
You could make a similair statement about Warne and McGill both playing for Australia...
Well they are BOTH leg spinners but the difference between Murali and Warne is as great as you can have between any two types of bowlers fast and/or slow.

The case for including both is at least as strong as for including a third fast (medium) bowler. The case becomes almost iron clad whne you realise that one is considered the best off spinner of all time and the other the best leg spinner.

Any captain would love to have both IRRESPECTIVE of ground conditions. The same wont be said of Warne and MacGill unless the other bowling options were not of great quality.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Always the most difficult choice this but I opted for Warne, I've watched him since his first Ashes series and have been pretty much gobsmacked ever since. I adore watching Murali and admire him greatly, it's just that for this Englishman, Warne has made more of an impression on me and played against us more too obviously.

Beleg is right though I think.