Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: South african domestic season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jungle Jumbo
    How far does he have to go before he gets a go in Tests then? One decent season could do it. It's not as if the fact he can't really bat is going to limit his chances either, given the depth SA already have in the batting department.
    Well its a combination of a few factors.

Firstly, he isnt that highly respected in SA Cricket. What I mean is that he is not a 'sexy' player that generates fan support and strong feelings. There are not many people pushing for his inclusion. Also, despite last season, he has been pushed hard for his Titans place let alone garnering SA consideration.

SA, like many countries, is obsessed with batting depth and youth. Many potential SA players are not picked as they cant bat. Tshabalala will have to face this as his career progresses. However, where Botha and Tshabalala are ahead of Harris is that they are a few or more years younger.

Skin colour also plays a role as well. Guys like Robin Peterson are lightyears behind him as a bowler but there is certainly the mentality of "Why waste one of our white picks on a guy like Harris when we are not 100% sure of him and he may not stand the test of time"

He is also not the biggest spinner of the ball and there may be doubts of what he could achieve at test level.

NOTE- For those interested in recent developments in the Johan Botha saga.
    http://content-www5.cricinfo.com/sou...ry/258928.html
    From a week or so ago, but he failed his most recent test so its not looking good.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Pinball Champion!
    Could you add Paul Harris to that list? He's had a bit of success for Warwickshire this season.

Is Botha still allowed to bowl in domestic cricket?
    Ooh yeah, add him as well..

I'd also say Shaun Pollock was a better finger spinner than Peterson
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy

Skin colour also plays a role as well. Guys like Robin Peterson are lightyears behind him as a bowler but there is certainly the mentality of "Why waste one of our white picks on a guy like Harris when we are not 100% sure of him and he may not stand the test of time"
    Yet guys like Albie Morkel have got the gig now and then? I just think there are some serious loonies knocking around

Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    Yet guys like Albie Morkel have got the gig now and then? I just think there are some serious loonies knocking around
    Not in test cricket he didnt. Peterson has played 5 tests and I dont think many people would nominate Harris for ODI cricket.

Albie was seen as a potentially special ODI cricketer and, unlike Harris, he was seen as a 'sexy' and exciting cricketer. In fact to many he was seen as the second coming of Zulu. Unfair but true.

I can actually see why people clammered for Morkels inclusion in the ODI team. Was he good enough? probably not, but I can see the logic.

Albie was given a chance in ODIs where a lot of guys are given opporunities. The point I was making with Harris mainly related to test cricket where virtually every game and selection is important.
    Last edited by Goughy; 16-09-2006 at 03:27 PM.

Pinball Champion!
    Not in test cricket he didnt. Peterson has played 5 tests and I dont think many people would nominate Harris for ODI cricket.

Albie was seen as a potentially special ODI cricketer and, unlike Harris, he was seen as a 'sexy' and exciting cricketer. In fact to many he was seen as the second coming of Zulu. Unfair but true.

I can actually see why people clammered for Morkels inclusion in the ODI team. Was he good enough? probably not, but I can see the logic.

Albie was given a chance in ODIs where a lot of guys are given opporunities. The point I was making with Harris mainly related to test cricket where virtually every game and selection is important.
    Does he bat? I'd have Boje above everyone at the moment, but thats obviously not the general consensus.. Bojjie also brings a fantastic work ethic, he's a good fielder and a very good leader (even though he's at most had the vice captaincy post)

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Samuel_Vimes's Avatar
    Defend Your Castle Champion! Monkey Diving Champion!
    Isn't it time they select Morne soon? I mean, with that amount of no-balls he must be a talent
    Messi scores on the rebound.

Founder of ESAS - Edgar Schiferli, the best associate bowler
    A follower of the schools of Machiavelli, Bentham, Locke, Hobbes, Sutcliffe, Bradman, Lindwall, Miller, Hassett and Benaud
    Member of JMAS, DMAS, FRAS and RTDAS

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Grünbaum
    Is the conduct approved by the gods right ("pious"), because of properties of its own, or merely because it pleases the gods to value or command it?

Does he bat? I'd have Boje above everyone at the moment, but thats obviously not the general consensus.. Bojjie also brings a fantastic work ethic, he's a good fielder and a very good leader (even though he's at most had the vice captaincy post)
    Albie Morkel is a fast bowling / hard hitting allrounder. Can take the new ball and be destructive with the bat.

Are you sure you are talking about the right player, as he doent really fit into a debate about spinners?

Pinball Champion!
    Albie Morkel is a fast bowling / hard hitting allrounder. Can take the new ball and be destructive with the bat.

Are you sure you are talking about the right player, as he doent really fit into a debate about spinners?
    I meant Paul Harris, I know Morkel doesn't bat

I meant Paul Harris, I know Morkel doesn't bat
    If we are talking about Harris then, no

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes
    Isn't it time they select Morne soon? I mean, with that amount of no-balls he must be a talent
    If you are talking about Morne Morkel then he is a long way from SA colours. As all our mothers have told us at some point "We all have a special talent" and as you point out his is noballs He is thought of pretty highly at Titans though.

You can keep that Morne and Ill choose Morne van Wyk

Soon we will have enough for the 'Battle of the Mornes'
    Last edited by Goughy; 16-09-2006 at 04:48 PM.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    How far does he have to go before he gets a go in Tests then? One decent season could do it. It's not as if the fact he can't really bat is going to limit his chances either, given the depth SA already have in the batting department.
    IIRC the only reason he's come over to England is the fact he's been overlooked recently.

As he's now a Kolpak, not sure if he's allowed to go back is he?

Eirther way I had the fortune to see him on one of his first games for Warwickshire and have to be honest I thought he was rubbish - I'm guessing that was a settling in game though!
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain
    Australia has a 2nd division competition but like 8 of the players have to be 23 years or younger,altho it is not a first class competition.
    Under the kolpak agreement harris cannot play for south africa and will have to play as an overseas player,louw knew that thats why he changed back to being an overseas player rather than a kolpak player,but doubt louw could ever play for south africa.

Pinball Champion!
    Louw is a very good Twenty20 bowler

International Vice-Captain
    Murray goodwin joins the eastern cape another aussie heads to south africa.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by brockley
    Murray goodwin joins the eastern cape another aussie heads to south africa.
    WOW! Brilliant news

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information